Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:43 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally315 View Post
I've never tipped the gas attendant, I also don't know anyone who ever has. Oh, and if you're lucky they will squeegee (sp?) your windows too!
Yea... dont tip the gas station guy. If you want to, you can tip them if they squeege you. But no one tips for a plain fill up, except the occasional out of stater who is caught offguard by someone pumping their gas.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXNJ View Post
You're going to miss the ability to pump your own gas unless you like waiting forever to get gas sometimes. Depending where you go and how busy it is, its quite annoying not to have the option to pump your own gas.
I really never have a problem on the highway. occasionaly the local town gas station with 1 guy working can have me wait like 2 minutes, but its not a big deal at all... the busy stations on the highway have adaquete amounts of people working whenever i get gas

Old 07-13-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
It's so much fun to wait twenty minutes for the attendant to wander over while talking on his cell phone only to find out that he filled it instead of putting in the ten dollars you asked for , then demanding payment.
uhhh i have waited 5 minutes maximum and never been charged more then i wanted too.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:52 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
uhhh i have waited 5 minutes maximum and never been charged more then i wanted too.
They usually get to you pretty fast - within half a minute.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Stop on Route 3 in the morning. several cars, one attendant. even if he starts the pump, it sits idle for a few minutes while he handles the other cars. If you can't figure out how to pump your own gas, don't ever drive out of NJ because you won't find a full service island anywhere.
Its like a 2-3 minute wait max...

Fill your car up before it gets to empty so you dont need to get gas before work in the morning... I cant believe people actually have a problem with gas in Jersey on this board. In real life no one ever whines or complains about this`

Old 07-13-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
They usually get to you pretty fast - within half a minute.
I am well aware. I love full service.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:18 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,787,372 times
Quote:

Fill your car up before it gets to empty so you dont need to get gas before work in the morning... I cant believe people actually have a problem with gas in Jersey on this board. In real life no one ever whines or complains about this`
You're absolutely right.

I think I kind of understand how the self-serve crowd feels. When I first experienced self-serve, it was kind of fun. It felt like it was much more convenient and quick than full serve because you just hop out, fill up, and then go - there's never any waiting (as long as it's not a crowded station) for anyone, so it feels "faster" and it's easy enough to do. After experiencing it and returning to NJ w/ full-serve, it did feel like the waiting for the attendant was very long.

But when I really thought about it, I realized it actually is usually faster getting full-serve. Even when I have to wait, what feels like a long time is usually well under 30 seconds (I've timed it many times). It takes me at least 30 seconds to get out of the car, dip my card, select fuel grade, open gas cap, put nozzle in, lift lever, and start fueling. It just feels faster when you do it but feels slower when an attendant does it, but in reality attendants are much, much faster because they do it all day long, plus they are not as concerned about getting gas dripped on them.

Yes, like you said, there are a few times when you don't plan well and you have to get gas at a busy time, like morning, and you wait longer. But as I pointed out in an earlier post, the problem of a crowded station with long waits does happen at self-serve stations also.

I think it is mostly those people who feel a need to completely control everything that complain most about full-serve; it's not the time or the ease, it's the lack of total control that really bothers them.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:50 AM

220 posts, read 623,768 times
I always tip after they wash my windows (something they hardly ever do anymore) so if they go that extra mile I throw them a buck! Cheaper gas & someone does it for you...as a lifelong resident of NJ & having travelled enough to know how to self serve....full service, bar none, is a wonderful little perk for NJ....pull up your Huggies folks...funny I ALWAYS find something productive to do when waiting for the attendant...check my phone/e-mail quick....send a quick message or check to see if there is a poppy seed in my tooth...ya know....the basics...

Old 07-14-2010, 06:50 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
To the people who complain about having to wait...
Where do you get your gas? I am a life long resident of NJ and I cant remember ever having to wait more than a minute or two for someone to pump my gas. Nobody has ever scratched my car either. I guess I have just been lucky the last 40 years.
Me too. Honest to God I actually timed how long it took for someone to help me this AM - 30 seconds.

I also go out of my way to be nice to the attendants - they talk to my kids, etc - but I realize that would be beneath a lot of you. (not you MD) It's amazing what a smile and some small talk can do.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:52 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:

I believe it - this topic comes up every other month or so. What a charmed life we lead if we feel this is worthy of incessant griping.

And you are spot on about IRL - NEVER has this topic come up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey