U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 02:32 PM

232 posts, read 532,571 times

Advertisements

OK, lived her all my life and never saw this as a kid. Seems like I'm seeing it more and more lately though.

Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on when a State Police car hits the lights and starts to swerve back and forth across the road? See this mainly on the highways. Seems like they are intentionally trying to hold back or slow down the flow of traffic. Is that what they are doing ? Are they aware of a traffic issue further up the highway? If so, what is the benefit of this?

Do they somehow think creating a traffic issue is better then adding to one further up the road?

Can you pass the cop or do all cars have to stay behind them? Seems like they leave plenty of room to allow cars to continue to pass as though they just want to slow you down.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 03:15 PM

180 posts, read 509,510 times
they do that when they want to stop traffic from coming into an accident or if a work crew needs to set up a lane.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:49 PM

1,185 posts, read 3,403,509 times
It's called a rolling slowdown and is a method of slowing down traffic across multiple lanes when there is only one cruiser in the vicinity. Generally it is used as a traffic pacing method, to keep drivers back from oversized loads that are crossing bridges or are taking up multiple lanes, for debris in the roadway, or as felixtibs mentions, if the traffic is coming into an accident scene or a work area setup.

Can cars pass the cruiser? Sure. But be prepared to get pulled over for failure to yield to an emergency vehicle, failure to follow police instruction, and speeding (expectation is that you will stay at the speed behind the cruiser).

Old 07-14-2010, 05:51 PM

90 posts, read 276,214 times
Everything that RUNYYfan said. It's in other states (I've lived in several where they have done this) and I think it is about time NJ got up to par.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:17 PM

81 posts, read 286,317 times
I've seen this done on 295 only a few times through out the past 5 years. But when this happens the cop car just seems to suddenly speed up and leave. I never saw an accident or work area or anything. It just seemed random, like they were trying to slow down traffic just to slow down the pace.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:23 PM

5,439 posts, read 14,324,626 times
in NJ, cant you imagine if he just drive up the middle lane even with all of his lights on, some jerk would pass him on the right and another on the left.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:50 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,632,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
in NJ, cant you imagine if he just drive up the middle lane even with all of his lights on, some jerk would pass him on the right and another on the left.
If he was doing less than the speed limit, without swerving or making his intentions known at all, yes I would blow by him on the fast lane without hesitation. Otherwise, I sit back and wait like everyone else.

{off topic---kind of}

Police do NOT have the right of way on our streets and highways in NJ unless they are responding to an emergency or acting in some official capacity. Simply cruising around or patrolling is not cause for them to ignore traffic laws or us to yield to them. It is simply a courtesy that we extend to them because there really is no way for us to KNOW if there is an emergency or not.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:14 PM

2,097 posts, read 5,492,944 times
I love when the fly by the safety roadblocks. I always get a thrill from seeing those air bags go off when they run into the construction areas at a high speed.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:02 AM

5,370 posts, read 10,126,849 times
If it's on a highway they are usually slowing traffic to a crawl for a construction crew to set up cones or for heavy equipment to position itself for work. It happens on occasion. The SP will start a couple of miles before the work and cross all three lanes at a slow speed in a zig zag way and have all vehicles slow to around 5 or 10 MPH while the work is being performed further up the road.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:04 AM

97 posts, read 435,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Bloe View Post
OK, lived her all my life and never saw this as a kid. Seems like I'm seeing it more and more lately though.

Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on when a State Police car hits the lights and starts to swerve back and forth across the road? See this mainly on the highways. Seems like they are intentionally trying to hold back or slow down the flow of traffic. Is that what they are doing ? Are they aware of a traffic issue further up the highway? If so, what is the benefit of this?

Do they somehow think creating a traffic issue is better then adding to one further up the road?

Can you pass the cop or do all cars have to stay behind them? Seems like they leave plenty of room to allow cars to continue to pass as though they just want to slow you down.
saw this not to long ago on the GSP northbound during morning rush hour around exit 135 (actually the part before where there are no exits btw middlesex county & union county). kept wondering what was going on only to find out they wanted to pull over a car and didn't want to provoke a car chase during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey