Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 07:06 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,992,392 times

Advertisements

I have heard from quite a few people that having your child start a year later gives them an advantage. Has anyone held there child back? And if so, do you feel the child benefited from it?

I'm really on the fence on this issue. On one hand, I do see the benefit of a child being more mature. On the other hand, I've also heard and read that a child absorbs knowledge the most between ages 3 thru 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 07:18 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Default Positive Experience

After a year in K, I held my son back another year. There were 5 boys that the teacher suggested weren't ready. I was the only one who held him back to spend another year in K; the other 4 boys went ahead. I could see he wasn't interested in learning, rather his interest was still in playing. This was 28 years ago. Those 4 boys were mediocre students; my son took honors classes, advanced placement classes and graduated HS, National Honor Society with several college scholarships. He went on to graduate school. I think it made a big difference in his future. My daughter, who is a teacher, always comments how some children just aren't ready and rather than struggle, always a step behind, that year makes a tremendous difference in their learning ability.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:40 AM

16 posts, read 69,111 times
Default Depends on the birthday...

If your child is a boy born May or later (with a school enrollment Sept. 30 cutoff) it can be very helpful. With girls this seems to not be as much the case. It really depends on your child's maturity level. How does he/she interect with kids his/her age? A little basic observation can tell you if he/she relates better with say, 5 year olds or with 4 year olds.

Among kids there is much less stigma among their peers attached to those who started later, as opposed to those who started and then were held back in elementary school.

I've actually heard of many parents, specifically those who are sports obsessed, who hold their sons back so they'll be bigger and stronger than their grade level competition. Not what I'd do, but to each his own.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:03 AM

79 posts, read 498,624 times
I think this is a personal choice. It all depends on how the child develop and if you think your son is capable to go to school. I personally have chosen to put my 4 yr old in Pre-k and before starting school- she was given a test and was placed in advanced Pre-K. She knew her colors in english and spanish, numbers and recognition of her alphabets. I had too take advantage!

Each child is different and only the parent can decide if this is the right choice.

Good luck-

Old 06-22-2007, 10:28 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
If your child is born at the end of the school year (May on), I would say yes, especially if your child is a boy. If your child was to have a problem keeping up it most probably wouldn’t show up until the kid was around 7 or 8. Boys can hold their own or even excel in pre-school and then start to fall behind around grade 2 when a lot of the learning is emotional as well as factual. There is much more stigma surrounding being held back at this age than starting a year later. Also, during the teenage years, kids that are the youngest in the class (mostly boys) have the most trouble relating to "adult" situations i.e. alcohol, driving, drugs etc.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:54 AM

11,338 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Why not hold them back 2 years?

Just think of how they could become a genius.

As you can tell, I'm not a fan of holding kids back. I think it's more of the parents being afraid that their kids aren't going to be geniuses and end up normal and average.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:41 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,367 times
I started kindergarden a year later than my peers b/c I missed the cut-off date. I was a good student, top 10 of the class, blah blah blah. I don't really know that I was better off or more adept to learning because I was older or because I just liked school. It was cool being one of the first kids to get my drivers' liscence though

Good luck making the decision-I appreciate that it's a difficult one to make.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:09 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Why not hold them back 2 years?

Just think of how they could become a genius.

As you can tell, I'm not a fan of holding kids back. I think it's more of the parents being afraid that their kids aren't going to be geniuses and end up normal and average.
the biggest issue I had with not holding my kids back was them dealing with the kids who were held back. when my kids were 9 years old in the 4th grade, those kids who were held back are almost 2 years older than most kids in the grade.
Many of those kids were not any brighter than the kids who were not held back, and because they were more mature there were problems, at that age 2 years is a huge difference.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:03 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
I think it depends somewhat on how old the child is going to be - you do not want them to be overly old or overly young compared to the rest of the kids in their class.

Speaking from experience, do your kid a favor, and if you leave them back, do it before they start.

I'll leave it at that

Old 06-22-2007, 03:07 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,111 times
As a teacher I would tell you that it has a lot to do with where your child is developmentally. If he is in Pre-K now then I would ask his teachers if they believe he is ready. If he isn't in Pre-K and you choose not to send him then consider a pre-k program to help prepare him. Or, enroll him in Kindergarten-If he isn't ready to got to first grade next year you can always hold him back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey