U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 09:40 PM

8,064 posts, read 7,054,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
Does this mean we get to get rid of special education as well? Or do we just punish the smart kids?

The NAACP needs its members to be "annoyed" at some kind of "injustice" in order for it to continue to exist. This particular "outrage" of the day makes it pretty clear that they're running out of things to get mad at.

I wonder what will be the "trickle" down effect? AP classes are one issue, but a lot of public schools have tiers that have nothing to do with AP students. "College Prep", "Advanced" and "G&T".

Are those classes or "routes" going to be the next programs the NAACP will have an issue with if they get AP classes removed ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 07:08 AM

13,431 posts, read 14,345,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
What we should do is get rid of all AP teachers. We need to save money and why should I pay for "special" classes for someone's kid? Regular education for everyone. If you want something extra pay for it. Sorry
I'll bet many of the AP students in SO/Maplewood come from families with the means to abandon the public school system for better schools (private or public) elsewhere so you and the NAACP should be careful what you ask for.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:27 AM

1,918 posts, read 2,866,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I'll bet many of the AP students in SO/Maplewood come from families with the means to abandon the public school system for better schools (private or public) elsewhere so you and the NAACP should be careful what you ask for.

Better kids not better schools. Children make good schools and not vice versa.
We need to save money. Why should tax payers pay for "special" classes? Why should I pay for your kids sports team? Why should I pay for your kids daycare? Its all the same and people need to poney up and share in the sacrifice. Saving money is the name of the game.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:36 AM

13,431 posts, read 14,345,498 times
Quote:
We need to save money. Why should tax payers pay for "special" classes? Why should I pay for your kids sports team? Why should I pay for your kids daycare? Its all the same and people need to poney up and share in the sacrifice. Saving money is the name of the game.
No, spending money in a manner that results in a highly educated populace is what matters. Not partisan polemics.

"School", first and foremost is for education, (as in the three "Rs", history, geography).

Sports, that's a luxury if you don't have the money for the primary goal of public education.

Daycare? Are you serious?

I have to ask, since NJ has some of the highest per pupil expeditures in the nation, why do we not have money for AP courses and sports?

Old 07-19-2010, 08:37 AM

14,776 posts, read 34,223,396 times
Quote:
Well, if we are going to play by that logic, then we also need to elminate "Special Ed", pull out classes for basic skills, get rid of "assistants" for handicapped students and mentally challenged kids trying to be mainstreamed. We also need to get rid of specially equipped busses to transport said individuals.

Our education system is screwed up in a lot of ways, but the litte segregation based on abilities within the school is as close as we can get to sort of making it better. I agree with you that it is all about the kids, but we need to make sure we are providing the right level of challenge academically to allow people to reach their potential. I don't see anything wrong with AP, Honors, Regular, Vocational, Remedial, if anything I would like to see school districts combined and entire schools dedicated to fostering the correct learning environment for the students based on their abilities.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:24 AM

297 posts, read 425,606 times
The requirement for AP classes in my school was to complete the prerequisite course with a certain grade or higher. I am sure the requirements are similar for South Orange. Unless the NAACP can prove that the school wasn't allowing qualified black students into AP classes, I don't see how they have a case. Also, if the school puts kids into AP classes who shouldn't be there, and the kids go on to fail the class and get a 1 on the AP exam, what does that achieve?

Old 07-19-2010, 11:34 AM

466 posts, read 1,264,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
If the NAACP wanted to make academics more "equal" to non-white races (African-Americans in particular), they should strengthen academic programs at the elementary levels
That's the money quote. The NAACP should be going nuts about reading and math in grades K-3, not about AP classes.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:34 PM

1,918 posts, read 2,866,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Well, if we are going to play by that logic, then we also need to elminate "Special Ed", pull out classes for basic skills, get rid of "assistants" for handicapped students and mentally challenged kids trying to be mainstreamed. We also need to get rid of specially equipped busses to transport said individuals.

Our education system is screwed up in a lot of ways, but the litte segregation based on abilities within the school is as close as we can get to sort of making it better. I agree with you that it is all about the kids, but we need to make sure we are providing the right level of challenge academically to allow people to reach their potential. I don't see anything wrong with AP, Honors, Regular, Vocational, Remedial, if anything I would like to see school districts combined and entire schools dedicated to fostering the correct learning environment for the students based on their abilities.

Thank you very much. I agree with your logic 100%. I am talking about what is good for taxpayers. I agree this might not be the best for the kids but we live in tough times. I don't want to pay for some AP courses or any hoity toity stuff if its not REQUIRED. We pay for only what is required by mandates and nothing more. Sorry if this burst some parents bubble but we dont have the money. This isnt the NJ of old and its time you people woke up. Gracias!

Old 07-19-2010, 01:47 PM

14,776 posts, read 34,223,396 times
Quote:
Thank you very much. I agree with your logic 100%. I am talking about what is good for taxpayers. I agree this might not be the best for the kids but we live in tough times. I don't want to pay for some AP courses or any hoity toity stuff if its not REQUIRED. We pay for only what is required by mandates and nothing more. Sorry if this burst some parents bubble but we dont have the money. This isnt the NJ of old and its time you people woke up. Gracias!
Well, I was really trying to be sarcastic. The problem is that all of those other programs are mandated entitlement programs that need to be legally provided by the public school.

The AP classes are one of the few programs that is designed to provide a greater challenge to students that are capable of doing the work and allows them to earn college credits. I personally think the program needs to be retained.

As long as we need to spend tens of thousands of dollars on special needs students to accomodate them, the extremely small amount of money we spend on AP programs is the least we can do to help further the education of the kids who are capable of doing the work.

AP is not some sort of entitlement program, it is simply a class taught at an accelerated level by an existing teacher. I seriously doubt it costs much of anything to have the classes available. If anything I would advocate eliminating some of the other programs I mentioned in favor of spending more money on the gifted students.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:13 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,596,371 times
All I can say is +1 to the fact that removing AP classes is a dumb idea. For those students who NEED the challenge to stay motivated and interested in school there is nothing better. The article clearly states that only students who excel in level 3 classes can be bumped to level 4. I can understand if its by recommendation only but its not. You must have the grades to qualify. There is nothing racist about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey