Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 08:28 PM

858 posts, read 707,754 times

Advertisements

I know this thread is about SI salary but with all the talk about what the public schools are providing and how people don't want to pay for the schools and salaries etc..let me just say that you are not putting things in perspective. I recently bought a house and the town is rated as a top 10 school district in NJ. Sure you don't care about the schools and don't want to pay for it but trust me, it's the #1 thing everyone cares about when they buy a house. When we were looking, every house we went to, they always brought up the schools. We didn't have to ask. Even our agent told us the thing everyone cared about was the schools. It helps..and hurts...your property value. Like i said, we are in a top 10 schoold district right now but I bet if they all of a suddenly dropped to 100th on the list, my property value is going to suffer..as will yours. So I think it's fine if you want to complain about the schools in your town if it is not doing well. If it is doing well, you shouldn't complain about it costing you more even if you aren't using it because it's keeping your value high and making people pay top dollar to move into your town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 08:40 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcbill View Post
All public worker salary ranges are public information. By law they must be published in the local newspaper prior to approval by the governing body in the community. There is absolutely no reason for a citizen in a town to not know what the workers of the town earn. My question to everyone is, Do you know what your neighbor the attorney or surgeon earns annually? A friend of mine is 35 years old and works on Wall Street, his salary is over 3 million a year. Looking at everything in perspective the $200K the Super earns is a bargain. I am not a super, just an informed citizen that pays attention to what goes on in my town and my state.
Bill
You are right, we should know what public employees earn because it is our tax dollars paying them. How could we decide who we should elect if our tax dollars are doled out under the shroud of secrecy.

On the other hand, it really isn't any of our business what your Wall Street friend makes because he is working for himself and his salary has no bearing on our lives.

Again, if we decide to pay superintendents $100K (all of them) instead of $250, I would be willing to bet we could find qualified people to do the job. If we couldn't, then we could try 125, 150, and so on until we find the best deal for the tax payers. Or better yet, hire 1 superintendent per county for the full $250K and fire all the rest.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:05 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Honestly, I think that's a generous amount of money, but I don't believe that there should be a cap on the salary either. The point I was trying to make with my previous post was that there are too many people who expect public employees, and especially teachers, to work for next to nothing, and this demand is unreasonable, just as the restrictions I described in my previous post were unreasonable demands made by our public at one point in our history. Sorry, but teachers have the same mortgages and electric bills that everyone else has.
I expect someone to answer the damn phone. I don't care how much or how little you make in a day. I expect someone in local/state "gubment" to not take 9 months to process a simple issue. I expect not to be run around from department to department to department until someone with a clue can help me. The damn # on the form says "call this # if you have any questions". LMFAO. No one knows what they are doing and if you don't get an attitude? You get put on hold for an hour only to be told "s/he's on vacation for the next 3 weeks. Call back then". OK!

Quote:
The problem is a lot of people are using this as an excuse to claim that all public employees are overpaid. Do I think that I, as a teacher, am overpaid? No. I think I'm paid fairly given the job requirements, my education level, and experience. And many other employees, such as teacher aides, custodians, and security guards are ridiculously underpaid.
What school district do you work in? Custodians ain't hurting. Teacher aids? You're an aid. It's the difference between an LPN and an RN. Or a para-legal and a lawyer. Security guards? Seriously?

Quote:
But capping superintendent salaries is going to have a trickle-down effect that is going to affect all school employees, and, as is almost always the case, the ones who make the least are eventually going to suffer the most.
Sometimes those who run the show maintain while the figure head gets booted.

Quote:
BTW, why hasn't Christie said anything about capping the salaries of the presidents and deans of the state colleges? They REALLY make the big bucks. And don't even get me started on our millionaire football coach at Rutgers.
Because they aren't state run schools. Not fully funded by tax-payer dollars. They are state-assisted schools.

Whatever RU pays Schiano is to bring money to the college. And apparently when you are a state university, you need to have a great football team and or basketball team to attract those students who want to attend a college that has a great football/basketball team. Go figure.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
IMHO, the private sector is a far bigger clusterf***. See: the banking industry collaspe, health care costs, Enron, offshoring, blah blah blah. The public sector is in no way alone when it comes to "screwing up".
The difference is that the public sector can f*** up as much as it wants to and is barely ever held accountable. They have their unions to protect them.

And when the public sector is called out, well, we are seeing what happens. Excuse after excuse after excuse.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
All public worker salary ranges are public information. By law they must be published in the local newspaper prior to approval by the governing body in the community. There is absolutely no reason for a citizen in a town to not know what the workers of the town earn. My question to everyone is, Do you know what your neighbor the attorney or surgeon earns annually? A friend of mine is 35 years old and works on Wall Street, his salary is over 3 million a year. Looking at everything in perspective the $200K the Super earns is a bargain. I am not a super, just an informed citizen that pays attention to what goes on in my town and my state.
Bill
When my taxes pay for my neighbor who is a surgeon or landscaper or restaurant owner, I might care what my neighbors make.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
I know this thread is about SI salary but with all the talk about what the public schools are providing and how people don't want to pay for the schools and salaries etc..let me just say that you are not putting things in perspective. I recently bought a house and the town is rated as a top 10 school district in NJ. Sure you don't care about the schools and don't want to pay for it but trust me, it's the #1 thing everyone cares about when they buy a house. When we were looking, every house we went to, they always brought up the schools. We didn't have to ask. Even our agent told us the thing everyone cared about was the schools. It helps..and hurts...your property value. Like i said, we are in a top 10 schoold district right now but I bet if they all of a suddenly dropped to 100th on the list, my property value is going to suffer..as will yours. So I think it's fine if you want to complain about the schools in your town if it is not doing well. If it is doing well, you shouldn't complain about it costing you more even if you aren't using it because it's keeping your value high and making people pay top dollar to move into your town.
I guess you would be addressing me.

I could care less. My business is in the town I live in and it would make no sense to be on call and 2 hours away in just another defunct NJ public school district. And trust me, you don't know anything about your public schools until your kids attend them. Go sit outside the local high school and see what walks out after the last bell rings. It might make you smile, it might make you think.

I'm putting an addition on my house. I like where I live in my town. It's peaceful, quiet, serene. I didn't buy my house for the "public schools". I was never going to send my kids to public school no matter where I moved to. And don't trust your RE agent. They sell school districts that were awarded the "blue ribbon" 10 years ago and haven't re-upped since. For a reason. Do your own research.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:41 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
I guess you would be addressing me.

I could care less. My business is in the town I live in and it would make no sense to be on call and 2 hours away in just another defunct NJ public school district. And trust me, you don't know anything about your public schools until your kids attend them. Go sit outside the local high school and see what walks out after the last bell rings. It might make you smile, it might make you think.

I'm putting an addition on my house. I like where I live in my town. It's peaceful, quiet, serene. I didn't buy my house for the "public schools". I was never going to send my kids to public school no matter where I moved to. And don't trust your RE agent. They sell school districts that were awarded the "blue ribbon" 10 years ago and haven't re-upped since. For a reason. Do your own research.

So I guess when you go to sell your house, you're not going to take into consideration how much the school district affects your property values. You'll simply ask for a price similar to comparable houses in the poorest school districts in the state, right?

Old 07-25-2010, 10:18 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
So I guess when you go to sell your house, you're not going to take into consideration how much the school district affects your property values. You'll simply ask for a price similar to comparable houses in the poorest school districts in the state, right?
Except that the money one spends on a school district has very little to do with how good it is. If that were the case, Newark would be the best school district in the state. Now that state funding was taken away from the suburban districts, I am sure nothing is going to change. Their rankings will still be the same.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:24 AM

284 posts, read 616,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
it was the reason given by the council members to approve the school budget. I hope you are not moving to my town. Yes, I believed mine was listed as a top 10 school district. But what makes the difference? the SI? the teachers (again, are teachers in "good" school district better than "bad" school district?) or because the kids are from families that have the resources to help them?

Old 07-26-2010, 03:04 AM

284 posts, read 616,956 times
Quote:
Bill
I agree 200k is not unreasonable for people who has so much responsibility, but I do not see the performance from the SI. What has he accomplished if all he does is to ask for more money? Where is the innvoation?

Jobs in Wall Street can disappear overnight, I had seen the whole division eliminated overnight and it happened before the financial crisis. However, the SI has guaranteed pay raises for the duration of a 5 year contract as long as he does not make any mistake. I am not sure how many SI can survive a month in Wall Street.

While we know how much the SI earns, but we do not have too much say on how much he earns, it is decided by the BOE. Obviously, I have an opinion as my tax dollars pay for his salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey