U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:09 PM

326 posts, read 476,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banevader View Post
You really do get what you pay for in life.

Superintendent of West New York BASE: $241,980

West NY school ranking: 282 out of 316

http://njmonthly.com/downloads/1527/...hschools08.pdf

it's for the kid$$$$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
...and the fact that superintendents are responsible for THOUSANDS if not tens of thousands of employees and students,is it really that much?

You really do get what you pay for in life.

Superintendent Salary BASE (before benefits/pensions) - Asbury Park: $187,796

Senior Class size: 84 oy..

Old 07-20-2010, 08:23 PM

2,771 posts, read 3,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjitty View Post
You can't do it, answer the question.

Give the row # on the Excel spreadsheet below showing a Teacher making 42k or 50k that you claim.

They all make significantly more than that.

Administrative Salaries

Row #, not your sorry rhetoric. Men lie, women lie, numbers don't. Row #, row #.
Those are administrative salaries. None of those people are teachers.

NJ by the numbers: New Jersey by the Numbers - NJ.com

lists teacher salaries (seledt licensed educators from the public payroll section, then select Harrison (Hudson) from the drop-down. Page 9 and 10 are all 45xxx or less.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:35 PM

428 posts, read 216,078 times
Now I do agree that some of these salaries are obscene however I am not really on board with Christie's plan as it stands. It seems to me like he's contradicting himself when he wants to have incentive based pay but then cap it at the same time. That goes for teachers and administrators. If a superintendent has in a smaller district but that district consistently is in the top 5 or 10 in the state, shouldn't they be compensated for that? I would think at least more so than a superintendent in an underperforming district but has a larger amount of kids. I do wish he brought this up first rather than attack hard working teachers.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:36 PM

you have to click "Teacher" under Job Title field.. that link just confirms the spreadsheet, that most make well over 50k. If you want to see SI, just click "Superintendent" under the same filed on the drop-down box.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
Now I do agree that some of these salaries are obscene however I am not really on board with Christie's plan as it stands. It seems to me like he's contradicting himself when he wants to have incentive based pay but then cap it at the same time. That goes for teachers and administrators. If a superintendent has in a smaller district but that district consistently is in the top 5 or 10 in the state, shouldn't they be compensated for that? I would think at least more so than a superintendent in an underperforming district but has a larger amount of kids. I do wish he brought this up first rather than attack hard working teachers.
Where's the incentive for the 2 examples I cited who make obscene amounts yet one has a class size of 84 kids, and both schools are ranked in the bottom?

It's not so much about the teachers as it is about the teachers' union that put them in this position. Christie has verbalized this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ksLlAi3iIc

Old 07-20-2010, 08:49 PM

4,651 posts, read 2,533,424 times
Quote:

It may seem like $250k is a lot,but considering that a doctorate is required for the position and the fact that superintendents are responsible for THOUSANDS if not tens of thousands of employees and students,is it really that much?
So then what are principals and VPs responsible for?

Last edited by Sawdustmaker; 07-20-2010 at 09:29 PM..

Old 07-20-2010, 08:51 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,731,369 times
I could honestly care less about the argument but here is just one example that someone drinking the kool aid didnt believe.

[SIZE=2]01[/SIZE][SIZE=2] DANIELLA [/SIZE][SIZE=2]1 [/SIZE][SIZE=2]lookup[/SIZE][SIZE=2]HARRISON TOWN BD OF ED(HUDSON) [/SIZE][SIZE=2]$41,954 [/SIZE][SIZE=2]$41,954 [/SIZE]

Old 07-21-2010, 01:11 AM

284 posts, read 286,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
I wonder how much of success is due to the superintendent.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:55 PM

284 posts, read 286,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
But how much money is it going to save your average tax payer? The SI in the town I live in makes $240K per year. A $65K savings is a drop in the bucket.

I understand that it's a place to start but at the same time it's not going to reduce the percentage of my property taxes that goes to public education, which last year was close to 7K.

NJ needs to find another way to pay for public education other than solely through property taxes.
while the 65K may be a drop in the bucket. We still have assistant superintendent and business admin. I live in a small district and people are wondering why we need an assistant superintendent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey