U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2010, 02:17 PM

12,284 posts, read 30,935,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
Just a general comment to throw in here:

Malls that include the self important definite article "THE" in their name automatically lose points with me. Like, "THE Mall at Short Hills" or "THE Mall at Mill Creek". No. You're the "Short Hills Mall" located IN, not AT, Short Hills, and you're the "Mill Creek Mall" located in a complex named "Mill Creek" IN Secaucus, not AT Secaucus.

"THE Shoppes at Union Hill" loses double points because they also use the contrived spelling "shoppes" in addition to having the "THE". No. You are the "Union Hill Strip Mall" IN, not AT, Denville.
lol - i always found that pretentious
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 11:13 AM

429 posts, read 794,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
Just a general comment to throw in here:

Malls that include the self important definite article "THE" in their name automatically lose points with me. Like, "THE Mall at Short Hills" or "THE Mall at Mill Creek". No. You're the "Short Hills Mall" located IN, not AT, Short Hills, and you're the "Mill Creek Mall" located in a complex named "Mill Creek" IN Secaucus, not AT Secaucus.

"THE Shoppes at Union Hill" loses double points because they also use the contrived spelling "shoppes" in addition to having the "THE". No. You are the "Union Hill Strip Mall" IN, not AT, Denville.
If you were my editor, we'd wear out ten pairs of socker boppers.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:53 PM

511 posts, read 1,550,998 times
I prefer the Rockaway mall, as far as actual mall shopping goes. I despise it mostly, but that mall is the most convenient, has the basics, and is never really crowded like other malls.

Plus, if the weather is terrible, and the kids are antsy, it is a cheap way to burn off their toddler energy.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:10 PM

390 posts, read 1,345,989 times
I hate malls too.

I was most upset when Barnes & Noble built onto the Monmouth Mall. I used to like to peruse the bookstore but I cant deal with that parking lot. I dont even have to enter the mall to get aggravated.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:24 PM

877 posts, read 2,358,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBone View Post
I hate malls too.

I was most upset when Barnes & Noble built onto the Monmouth Mall. I used to like to peruse the bookstore but I cant deal with that parking lot. I dont even have to enter the mall to get aggravated.
I never thought that mall was that bad. I haven't been there in a few years, but I've dealt with much worse parking lots than that.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:29 PM

1,043 posts, read 2,323,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBone View Post
I hate malls too.

Another mall hater here. But I used to love them.

I remember having my parents take me to the Garden State Plaza before they enclosed it. It was great. Then, around '84, they enclosed the mall. Things were still good. My father used to take us on Saturday nights to the mall, and get my brother and me $1.25 plates of fried rice and $1.00 egg rolls from the newly built food court. It made my father very happy to be able to "take us out for dinner" and spend less than $5 for my brother and me for dinner. Then, we'd go upstairs and play in Child World for a while (for those who don't remember, Child World was a toy store chain like Toys R Us, only a bit lowerbrow), and check out the electronics in Macy's and Gimbel's.

Then in '89, they built the first downstairs wing. And things were still good.

Then, in '96, the mall added the huge new wing, added a downstairs wing, and everything changed for the worse.

I have hated the GSP since the '96 addition. Not only did they turn the mall into a pretentious yuppie mall, crowds and traffic increased dramatically. Since then, things have gotten only worse. Not only is the mall now the size of a small suburb, the traffic and crowds are notstop from the crack of dawn until well into the night. You literally take your life into your hands going there, even early in the morning.

OK, I do like the new theatre. But the only time I'll go there is on a Sunday or a weekday that I have off for a pre-noon show. It's the only time I can deal with the traffic and crowds, and even during those times, it can still get crowded.

If I have to go to a mall, the least of multiple evils is Paramus Park. I'm still mad at them for taking out the waterfall and the see-thru elevator, but the crowds and traffic are not as bad there as in the other malls, and they have the distinction of having the only North Jersey location of the awesome Chick-Fil-A restaurant. Better yet, as someone else mentioned, I shop online. No traffic, no crowds, and prices are usually way less than in the mall stores.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:35 AM

593 posts, read 1,396,495 times
livingston mall sucks. always did suck to me actually even thinking back as a little kid.

short hills is wack too. its supposed to be the upper class mall. still corny.

willowbrook used to be the spot back in the late 90s. i got good memories of that place. now everythings changed. its like livingston mall now.

woodbridge mall is good to walk thru and window shop at. the game room, the one right above popeyes or burger king. i forgot which one was it but i used to drag my mom after school to play tekken 3 back in 97 twhen it was out in arcades. now its alright way better than the malls i already mentioned and will mention.

garden state plaza is okay. one thing i gotta say its too big. dont feel like walking around that much to look at stores. they dont have that much stores worth going to. they dont even have a record store in there.

menlo mall is wack.

newport mall is ghetto and scary with all those stories and floors.

jersey garden is wack but you can get a nice pair of sneakers ther

Old 07-27-2010, 07:25 AM

6,967 posts, read 17,750,912 times
^^^ how is a mall not corny or whack?

its a freakin mall for crying out loud!

Old 08-09-2010, 06:02 PM

29 posts, read 59,857 times
Best mall is Palisades Center. Oh wait, that's in NY.

When I lived in Central Jersey and people would complain about mall parking during Christmas season I could only laugh, being from Bergen County. If there is still an existing parking spot somewhere in the lot in November, it's not that bad. I really didn't miss the bumper-to-bumper traffic in Paramus mall parking lots. Me and my brothers used to park in a nearby cul de sac and sneak through an opening in a fence and cross the old movie theater parking lot.

Despite the Paramus mall bashing, I recently returned to Bergen county, and re-discovered the Bergen Mall, excuse me, the "Bergen Town Center". Completely different from the Bergen Mall I grew up with! I think it's pretty sweet, as a bargain shopper. Along with being an outlet center, also has Target, Marshalls, and Century21. Plus they have a Qdoba (I prefer Chipotle, but still) and, I haven't tried it yet, but one of those Bobby Flay burger joints. My kind of place, and I haven't had too many problems parking there in my recent visits.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:54 PM

51,184 posts, read 50,480,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanobabes View Post
Best mall is Palisades Center. Oh wait, that's in NY.

When I lived in Central Jersey and people would complain about mall parking during Christmas season I could only laugh, being from Bergen County. If there is still an existing parking spot somewhere in the lot in November, it's not that bad. I really didn't miss the bumper-to-bumper traffic in Paramus mall parking lots. Me and my brothers used to park in a nearby cul de sac and sneak through an opening in a fence and cross the old movie theater parking lot.

Despite the Paramus mall bashing, I recently returned to Bergen county, and re-discovered the Bergen Mall, excuse me, the "Bergen Town Center". Completely different from the Bergen Mall I grew up with! I think it's pretty sweet, as a bargain shopper. Along with being an outlet center, also has Target, Marshalls, and Century21. Plus they have a Qdoba (I prefer Chipotle, but still) and, I haven't tried it yet, but one of those Bobby Flay burger joints. My kind of place, and I haven't had too many problems parking there in my recent visits.
I remember that on the lower level of the Bergen Mall there was a head shop called "Joint Venture". That was in the 70's before they made the paraphenalia laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey