U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 07:57 PM

7 posts, read 56,744 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I'm new to these forums and wanted to ask for some advice for nice places to live in NJ that are easy to commute to Manhattan.

The most important thing to me is that the areas are safe. Ideally I would like to spend around $1750/month on rent...even that is on the extreme for me.

From doing some research, it looks like Jersey City might be an option, but I am not sure if that is out of my price range. Is that an easy commute to do by train/subway?

Also, can anyone please recommend some other potential locations that may be more affordable than Jersey City? How is Edgewater?

Also, I'd like if these places were close to trains and subways that would take me directly into Manhattan.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 08:06 PM

5,325 posts, read 12,293,690 times
That seems to be about the most asked question on this board. I would say the answer starts to get whittled down once you figure out things like if you have kids going to school, commute time. etc. As far as Jersey City, me personally, I might only consider it if you paid me to live there, but that is my personal preference. For me that's too close to the city. Often it seems like people get steered towards the urban overdeveloped places first.
If you look around these posts you will get a lot of advice and hints, otherwise some others will kick in, also you should narrow down whether you're looking for an apt or condo in an urban setting or want to get reasonably away from that.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
That seems to be about the most asked question on this board. I would say the answer starts to get whittled down once you figure out things like if you have kids going to school, commute time. etc. As far as Jersey City, me personally, I might only consider it if you paid me to live there, but that is my personal preference. For me that's too close to the city. Often it seems like people get steered towards the urban overdeveloped places first.
If you look around these posts you will get a lot of advice and hints, otherwise some others will kick in, also you should narrow down whether you're looking for an apt or condo in an urban setting or want to get reasonably away from that.
Thanks for the advice. I should post some more info on my current situation. I would prefer to be in apartment. I am married, but don't have any kids, so I am looking for a 1 bedroom that is about 800 sq ft. In terms of what I am looking for, I don't mind being in an urban setting or a rural one...but one thing for certain is that I would like to bring my car with me and have a parking lot to park in (as opposed to street parking).

In terms of commute time, ideally I would like to keep it under 1 hr. I have been looking around these forums, and also online, and it seems that jersey city has a "light rail" train. and that connects to the "path" train, which I could take into Manhattan. is that correct?

I'll continue to search these forums as well, I'm sure there is alot of people in similar situations who have gone through this before.

thanks

Old 07-20-2010, 08:26 PM

245 posts, read 488,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neomoe View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm new to these forums and wanted to ask for some advice for nice places to live in NJ that are easy to commute to Manhattan.

The most important thing to me is that the areas are safe. Ideally I would like to spend around $1750/month on rent...even that is on the extreme for me.

From doing some research, it looks like Jersey City might be an option, but I am not sure if that is out of my price range. Is that an easy commute to do by train/subway?

Also, can anyone please recommend some other potential locations that may be more affordable than Jersey City? How is Edgewater?

Also, I'd like if these places were close to trains and subways that would take me directly into Manhattan.

I just spent two years in New Jersey about 20 miles from NYC so I feel confident answering this question.

For the amount of money that say is the MOST that you'd pay for rent I would suggest:

1) Woodbridge Township - Nine municiplaties that are on the New Jersey Coast Line,the NJ Turnpike,And the 1&9 all of which will take you into NYC.
It's about 20 miles and it will take you about 45 minutes by train or car to get to Manhattan.

2) Kearney,Harrison,E. Harrison,N. Rutherford - Closer to NYC,but still nice areas. Mostly homes,but some apartments. On train lines and near 1-9 and NJ Turnpike leading into NYC.

3) Linden (some parts),Scotch Plains,Clark,Kenilworth,Cranford - All are on, or near, train lines, and near the NJ Turnpike. Good shopping and some affordable housing.

4) The Plainfields,Edison,Metuchen and Highland Park - A little farther than Woodbridge Township but the farthest I would suggest living from NYC in central New Jersey. All are pretty nice areas and the housing is as affordable as it can be in New Jersey. On train lines and near on the highways.

Those are the areas that I am familiar w/ from my stay in the area. I used live and shop in these areas so I think that I can recommend them.
Also,if I ever move back to New Jersey,it would be to one of the above areas,OP.

Good Luck.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banevader View Post
I just spent two years in New Jersey about 20 miles from NYC so I feel confident answering this question.

For the amount of money that say is the MOST that you'd pay for rent I would suggest:

1) Woodbridge Township - Nine municiplaties that are on the New Jersey Coast Line,the NJ Turnpike,And the 1&9 all of which will take you into NYC.
It's about 20 miles and it will take you about 45 minutes by train or car to get to Manhattan.

2) Kearney,Harrison,E. Harrison,N. Rutherford - Closer to NYC,but still nice areas. Mostly homes,but some apartments. On train lines and near 1-9 and NJ Turnpike leading into NYC.

3) Linden (some parts),Scotch Plains,Clark,Kenilworth,Cranford - All are on, or near, train lines, and near the NJ Turnpike. Good shopping and some affordable housing.

4) The Plainfields,Edison,Metuchen and Highland Park - A little farther than Woodbridge Township but the farthest I would suggest living from NYC in central New Jersey. All are pretty nice areas and the housing is as affordable as it can be in New Jersey. On train lines and near on the highways.

Those are the areas that I am familiar w/ from my stay in the area. I used live and shop in these areas so I think that I can recommend them.
Also,if I ever move back to New Jersey,it would be to one of the above areas,OP.

Good Luck.
Thanks for the detailed response! I'll take a look at each of these areas.

In terms of Woodbridge Township, you mentioned getting into NYC by taking the "1&9"...is that a subway or train? This may be a silly question...but do any subways go from NY to NJ, or is it only trains? The reason I ask is because I assumed subways would be (maybe significantly) cheaper than the trains.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:27 AM

5,325 posts, read 12,293,690 times
1&9 is what we've always called US highways 1 &9, they merge together around Woodbridge, US1 coming from the furthest point South, Key West, Florida, US9 coming from Cape May, NJ and probably somewhere below that as it goes over a ferry, then these roads split up again in the Bronx after the GWB, I know US1 goes up to the Canadian border in Maine.
Some parts of 1&9 have lights while others are large freeways such as from North Ave in Elizabeth into Jersey City where you access the Holland Tunnel. These US highways predate the Interstate highway system.
As far as commuting there is a PATH subway line that starts in Newark and goes to NYC, there are NJ Transit trains that runs several different branches and there are buses. The NJ Transit maps, fares & schedules are on their website. The PATH line is about $1.75 or so while the others have fares posted online. Most people don't drive into Manhattan during the week due to congestion and parking fees which can be about $30 to $40 a day in NYC and the $8 toll.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:46 AM

429 posts, read 793,284 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Both JC and Hoboken are extremely easy commutes to Manhattan--10 minutes on the PATH train, and at your budget, you can easily afford a nice place in a safe area right next to the closest train stations so that you could be in Manhattan not more than 15 minutes after stepping foot outside your apartment door.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:59 AM

429 posts, read 793,284 times
Quote:
I would like to bring my car with me and have a parking lot to park in (as opposed to street parking).
No problem bringing your car with you, and plenty of apartments have parking on-site. However, note that there are just as many apartments that do not. Parking on the street in JC at least is not any problem (I live in JC, not Hoboken, so I don't know the parking situation in Hoboken as well)--I always find parking quickly, and I actually had more things happen to my car when I used to park in a garage, including some kind of mystery stain on my hood from something dripping on it off pipes overhanging it.

If you absolutely do not want to park on the street, make sure that's the one of the first things you ask. Keep in mind that if it's a garage, on-site garages are usually only at larger, more "luxury" buildings that are also going to be more expensive, AND they might charge additionally for parking.

If it's an off-site garage (and there are plenty of those to choose from), there will obviously be a charge. Independent garages in JC are going to run you about $200 or slightly more per month. Many smaller apartments that would have on-site parking only have uncovered parking. So if your concern about parking on the street is having your vehicle uncovered, you need to ask about that, too, when you ask about parking.
Quote:
In terms of commute time, ideally I would like to keep it under 1 hr. I have been looking around these forums, and also online, and it seems that jersey city has a "light rail" train. and that connects to the "path" train, which I could take into Manhattan. is that correct?
Yes, but at your budget, and looking for a place in a safe neighborhood, there's really no reason you'd need to take the lightrail (unless the weather is horrible and you just want to take it a few blocks that day). You can afford to live within easy walking distance to a PATH station.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:23 AM

4 posts, read 16,138 times
You could check out northern NJ areas, Clifton, Paterson, Little Falls, Montclair, Wayne. Most have NJ Transit and/or buses to NYC. Prices are within your range and you could (if you chose) drive your car to NYC.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:46 PM

Thanks for all the replies everyone, there is a lot of good info to digest.

Also, I had no idea parking in Jersey City was so expensive. I hope to find an apt with parking included in the rent...otherwise I may have to adjust my rent limits if I have to pay so much for parking.

Also, what are your thoughts on Bayonne and Edgewater? There is an apt that looks good in Bayonne that is close to the 34th St Light Rail station. From what I've seen, looks like Bayonne would have plenty of parking available
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or