U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 06:38 AM

101 posts, read 280,401 times

Advertisements

We recently had to replace our tub diverter faucet and plumber said it was probably eroded due to the hard water we have. Of course, he tried to upsell us on a water softener system for $2,700. We have noticed alot of hard water stains on our fixtures and have difficulty removing them. Any recommendations for good removers that won't tarnish fixtures? Does anyone have a water softener system in their home and notice the difference? We're contemplating getting one, but the cost seems steep and not sure if it's really necessary. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 08:58 AM

312 posts, read 979,705 times
$2700 seems very high for a water softener installation. I currently have a kenmore water softener which was only about $700 but it is horrible. I had someone from culligan come in and they quoted me $1800 for their top of the line water softener including installation and removal of the old unit (this is for a house with 4 bathrooms). I moved from NYC where the water supply is already soft and I am just used to having soft water. Hard water does not suds well and also builds up residue on your fixtures and in your appliances. I am definitely going to get the culligan unit. You can also rent a unit but if you buy a unit it will pay itself off after 5 years. If you plan to stay in your house for a long time buying is the better option.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:08 AM

3,920 posts, read 8,436,574 times
There is certainly a difference between hard and soft. Most noticable to me was the residue left over on glassware after washing them.

$2700 is crazy. $500-700 is about what they cost. you can install yourself if you are so inclined as well.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:23 AM

8,861 posts, read 8,937,836 times
I need one as well. I heard you can rent them too, and all servicing is included in the monthly fee. Has anyone heard of this?

Old 07-25-2010, 02:48 PM

312 posts, read 979,705 times
Renting is only a good option if you only plan to stay in the house less then 5 years. After 5 years the unit will pay for itself. There is a big difference between a 500-700 softener and a more expensive unit. The kenmore i have which was about $700 does not automatically recharge and cannot really achieve an exact softness. The water will be really soft following a recharge and will slow become less soft until you manually recharge it again. A unit like a culligan will automoatically recharge and will maintain a specific softness level. When i built my house I put in a kenmore and wish I had done more research because it is a real pain to constantly recharge and play with the unit to get the water softness correct. The culligan is supposedly a set and forget unit. You just have to replenish the salt or hire a service to do that for you.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:00 AM

316 posts, read 733,651 times
Hard water- -bad news

Im reading this thread with interest as I have to do something- -undrinkable, and I think all the minerals are leaving hard water stains- -

Old 07-26-2010, 10:52 AM

3,518 posts, read 8,027,433 times
Definitely get a water softener, but I don't know what the "right" price should be. My uncle's house has very hard water, and there were pipes breaking all over his house for years. I'm sure he spent thousands on plumbers replacing pipes. Once he got the water softener installed he has been trouble-free.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:40 PM

1,110 posts, read 3,721,267 times
Hard water?? Where do you live in a caves of the middle east? I dont know what hard water is and probably never will. Move....to someplace in the 21st century.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:06 PM

2,488 posts, read 5,040,623 times
Many towns in my area( Hawthorne/Wyckoff, ) have hard water and a softener is the way to go...if it bothers you. From what I've heard it would have to be pretty extreme to have any effect on plumbing, I'm not a plumber but thats what I've heard.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:12 AM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 13,533,734 times
Hard water is usually associated with having well water which as anyone who has ever lived in a house with well water knows this is the best water you can have for drinking. Unfortunately it is usually very hard water and can cause problems (corrosion) with the copper pipes that carry the water throughout the house.
Best solution is to install a water softener for most of the system but to also provide a tap ahead of the softener for your drinking water.

Many people spend a lot of money to buy bottled water but if you are lucky enough to have good well water you are way ahead of the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or