Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2010, 06:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,593 times

Advertisements

Greetings all,

I am starting law school in Newark in the next few weeks and am brand new to Jersey having moved from a very big city down south. However Newark, for a few reasons, isn't really my ideal choice. Recent plans fell through and school is fast approaching so I am starting to panic just a little bit

Before I ask, here are some stats about me;

I am 24 years old, single, and straight. As much as I'll be studying, I still plan to establish and maintain a 'going out' policy of 1.5-2 nights/week. I am very fond of Manhattan but sadly, I cannot afford to live there yet. During breaks from school and summer, I will (hopefully) work in Manhattan part-time. For those reasons, I must remain a very reasonable commute away - preferably no later than 25 or 30 minutes. Of course, my commute to Newark should be of equal length or less. I wouldn't mind walking to a station or terminal if the distance is under 3/4 of a mile or so. I do have a car for bad weather days, etc.

My social interests are more sports bar, upscale lounge, and cafe versus thumping night club/Jersey Shore-esque joint. Also, without being too graphic, I'd like to be housed in a neighborhood where bringing home a female 'friend' for the evening after a night out is not impossible nor looked upon with any scorn. Or, at least, be in a neighborhood surrounded by like-minded folks and young professionals.

In addition, as good looking as I like to pretend I am, I highly doubt I'll become anyone's target for the most part so safety in the traditional sense isn't necessarily my #1 priority. Though, of course, I would like to be able to park my car or direct out-of-town friends over to my place without having to sweat.

And finally, my budget. I'd be living with a roommate so I'm interested in a 2bedroom and 1bath. I'd put our max at $800/person plus utilities for a total of $1600/month. If the deal of the century comes along at $1625 or even $1650, I think we'd probably manage but no more than that.

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about Hoboken and Jersey City and I want to know if, based on my criteria above, those are probably the best if not the only places that really fit the bill.

In brief,
- 2br/1ba for <$1625
- 20-25 minutes from both NYC and downtown Newark and hopefully walking distance to public transportation center that will get me to either
- well-reputed or 'up and coming' area that is home to young pros and even some pretty people
- close to bars and restaurants that are popular and well thought of
- area that is safe 'enough' to where, let's say, I could walk home drunk with a girlfriend and not have to watch my back.

Whew. That was a lot of info but I really could use some help. I've been pouring over Craigslist and there are so many places in JC and Hoboken to choose from, none of which I have heard of.

All the help I can get is greatly appreciated and please feel free to be as specific as possible. I have a few days still to go out and look around in some areas.

Thanks so much in advance,

EJ24
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 07:22 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Historic Downtown , Journal SQ of Jersey City, Hoboken , Weehawken all sound like they fit your requirements not all of Newark is bad. But the Ironbound is the only place that you would like.....

Old 07-26-2010, 08:13 PM

728 posts, read 1,965,676 times
Hoboken is probably out of your price range, JC may work just stay in the yuppie areas.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:28 PM

381 posts, read 1,309,583 times
The commute from Newark to Weehawken is not going to be good. There's one bus, I think. You'll be way better off in Jersey City. Historic downtown (Hamilton Park, Grove St, van Vorst park areas) would be good, but for commuting purposes (both to Newark and Man.) the Journal Sq or Newport areas would be even better because they're closer to the PATH. JSQ also has a major bus station. If you can find something in a little neighborhood called "the Island" - East and West Sts, Magnolia, Baldwin - you'll have the best of both worlds, excellent commutes in both directions and as close to a quasi-suburban middle class feeling as you'll find in JC.

It's not a town for raising kids, but for adventurous singles of both sexes it's very good. And it's very close to the singles scene in Hoboken too.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:59 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
Hoboken would be ideal and if you are willing to pay a fee( 1 months rent) you might find a tiny 2 bedroom in 4th or 5th floor walk up that is in your range. It's going take some looking and I think you'd definitely have to work with a broker.

Hoboken is super safe and is home to well heeled yuppies from just out of college to their late 30's. It has tons of bars, mostly sports bars and pubs although there are a few lounges and wine bars. It's just more of a scene than Jersey City. I mean you come off the PATH and it's literally all young people..and a lot of good looking people. If you can manage to find an apartment in your range you will be very happy there for many years. If you do choose Hoboken try and stay East of Willow. Good luck!

PS Stay out of Newark. Even though the Ironbound area is "up and coming" it is still smack dab in the middle of the ghetto and there is a sketchy element all around.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,543 times
I've lived in Jersey City for a year, and it sounds like it would be perfect for you. As someone said above, look in the downtown area, which is basically around the Grove St PATH and around the Newport Pavonia PATH. Commute to Newark is a breeze. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey