Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:10 AM

6 posts, read 15,779 times

Advertisements

Looking for a quality dining room set. Most of the big chains (Raymour & Flanigan, Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel, etc) sell overpriced veneered junk. Anyone have any suggestions for a store that sells decent quality solid wood furniture with decent turnaround time for delivery?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 11:14 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
friends of mine recently got stuff at Rolling Hills in Chester which they're happy with. They had the same concern as you about veneer. How's Ethan Allen?

Old 07-28-2010, 11:26 AM

220 posts, read 623,768 times
Furniture Stores, Bassett Furniture Stores

Have you looked at any Bassett furniture? We use to have one in Roxbury, NJ & it closed a few years back & I nearly cried. I felt it was BEAUTIFUL furniture & my bedroom set is from them....

Old 07-28-2010, 11:33 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Try Bob's Discount Furniture. We bought a bedroom set there and it's great quality for the price.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:49 PM

592 posts, read 2,187,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benh999 View Post
Looking for a quality dining room set. Most of the big chains (Raymour & Flanigan, Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel, etc) sell overpriced veneered junk. Anyone have any suggestions for a store that sells decent quality solid wood furniture with decent turnaround time for delivery?

Thanks.
If you consider "Raymour & Flanigan, Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel" veneered junk, then you probably want to look at bloomingdales and mitchellgold+bobwilliams...

crate&barrel is one of my favorite furniture stores, raymour&flanigan has both very good quality and junk, priced accordingly, and cant beat their fast delivery. I guess beauty/taste is in the eye of the beholder...

Old 07-29-2010, 05:44 AM

429 posts, read 931,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benh999 View Post

Thanks.
I'm no furniture connoisseur--heck, I'm happy just sitting on a drumstool (and I use relatively cheap drumstools), I don't know if I've ever owned a kitchen table--I do have a couple TV tables, though, my computer desk seems like it was probably made out of particle board, we've had a 4-drawer dresser in our bedroom with only 3 drawers for a few years, our bed is just the frame to hold up the box springs and mattress, and that's been broken for at least a year, too--I just don't like spending money on furniture . . . I don't really care about it, although if I were in a large space and had plenty of money, I probably would spend money on some of the more outrageous Toscano-type furniture (Statues, Wall Sculpture, Home Decor, Fairies, Dragons, Gargoyles...Design Toscano) --like a King's throne, tables with gargoyle bases, etc. . . . as things are, though, there's usually some new instrument or something I'd rather spend money on.

However, in Jersey City, on Newark and Jersey Avenues downtown, there's a furniture store that's been saying it has prices reduced something like 50-75% because they're going out of business . . . keep in mind that this has been going on for about 2 years now it seems. They're like the retail version of a Rolling Stones "farewell" tour.

The furniture looked nice to me, but if you're picky, I obviously wouldn't take my word for whether it's really considered good quality.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
If you consider "Raymour & Flanigan, Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel" veneered junk, then you probably want to look at bloomingdales and mitchellgold+bobwilliams...

crate&barrel is one of my favorite furniture stores, raymour&flanigan has both very good quality and junk, priced accordingly, and cant beat their fast delivery. I guess beauty/taste is in the eye of the beholder...
i've heard from a lot of people that pottery barn quality is really poor, especially for the $$$ you pay.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:32 AM

5 posts, read 13,655 times
Have you checked IKEA? Or, if you live closer to PA, there's Rosen's Furniture in East Stroudsburg(Dining Room Furniture Pennsylvania - Rosen's Furniture & Mattress Super Store - East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania Furniture Store (http://stores.furnoodle.com/rosens/diningroom.aspx - broken link)), or Saw Mill Furniture (www.sawmillfurniture.com) in Marshalls Creek.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:38 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
Rt. 17 is the place to go.

Huffman Koos Outlet (Hit or miss but great quality furniture at bargain prices, they are all overstock or discontinued models)

Macy's Home Store ( On par with Raymore and Flannigan)

Ethan Allen (VERY good quality but pricey, definitely the best of the chain bunch by far)

Bob's Discount( JUNK!!! Stuff looks decent and the more expensive stuff is all wood, not veneer, but its all pretty crappy quality, plus customer service is terrible and its like shopping at a used car dealership)

Just my take but if you drive around the Paramus area and north on Rt. 17 you'll pass a TON!

Old 07-29-2010, 07:57 AM

uh, hey guys? OP wants QUALITY..yet I see recommendations for places like IKEA, Bob's, Macy's (which is like Raymore and Flanigan which OP DOES NOT want).....just sayin'......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey