U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2010, 10:03 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,004,566 times

Advertisements

I looked at a couple of apartments in JC and after searching the internet I found out that the area is sometimes referred to by "the village". Most of them I saw were on 1st street and there were a couple on 2nd. I noticed it didn't look as nice as the rest of downtown, but it looks like it would be okay and in walking distance to grove st station. Does anyone know about this area? Is it more seedy than the rest of the downtown area? The area seems a little more isolated from the rest so I figure maybe the the police do not patrol it as frequent as the rest of the area. Also, the prices are relativley low for downtown making me a little suspicious of the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 10:31 AM

Also, I am reading that the village section is from Christopher Columbus to 6th st. or Pavonia and from Coles st. to I-78, is that right?

Old 07-29-2010, 02:44 PM

12,381 posts, read 22,620,647 times
That would probably be Newark Avenue between Monmouth street and Grove Street. Or Grove Street between 1st & Grand Streets. Easily accessible by Harimus Cove LRT station which is 5 blocks east of both areas or Jersey Avenue LRT station which is 2 blocks south of Grove Street.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:25 PM

2,705 posts, read 7,096,552 times
The Village is OK. It was the Italian part of town, traditionally. You've got some great Italian delis and bakeries there still. It's safe enough, just not as pretty as the rest of Downtown. And there will be more petty crimes, like car break-ins/vandalism, than in the rest of Downtown.

Personally, I prefer the brownstones of the other parts of Downtown, but the Village is OK.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
The Village is OK. It was the Italian part of town, traditionally. You've got some great Italian delis and bakeries there still. It's safe enough, just not as pretty as the rest of Downtown. And there will be more petty crimes, like car break-ins/vandalism, than in the rest of Downtown.

Personally, I prefer the brownstones of the other parts of Downtown, but the Village is OK.
I do too, but I am priced out of the rest of downtown. I know I will be fine, but I am a little worried about my fiancée. I am a little nervous about her walking home at night. How does it compare to the heights, Harrison, or Weehawken those are the other areas I am looking at?

Old 07-29-2010, 10:20 PM

6,268 posts, read 15,501,681 times
Better than the Heights and Harrison, but not as nice as much of Weehawken.

The Italian Village is a little less polished than the fancier downtown neighborhoods, but it's not terribly dangerous. Many buildings have been recently renovated, there's a new large condo complex almost literally under the Tpk, and there seems to be some new "energy" in that area. My biggest caution would be to pick a place away from any of the bars in the neighborhood. The Village has some notoriously noisy/rowdy bars. The noise spills out onto the street at closing time and I'd be sure not to pick a place within a block of any of those establishments if sleep is important. Overall I'd say the Village is not a bad option, so long as not being in a brownstone is ok, and a 10+ minute walk to PATH is ok.

And don't worry about police patrols. Carmines pizzeria at 1st and Brunswick is a favorite hangout for Jersey City's cops. They're always there.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Better than the Heights and Harrison, but not as nice as much of Weehawken.

The Italian Village is a little less polished than the fancier downtown neighborhoods, but it's not terribly dangerous. Many buildings have been recently renovated, there's a new large condo complex almost literally under the Tpk, and there seems to be some new "energy" in that area. My biggest caution would be to pick a place away from any of the bars in the neighborhood. The Village has some notoriously noisy/rowdy bars. The noise spills out onto the street at closing time and I'd be sure not to pick a place within a block of any of those establishments if sleep is important. Overall I'd say the Village is not a bad option, so long as not being in a brownstone is ok, and a 10+ minute walk to PATH is ok.

And don't worry about police patrols. Carmines pizzeria at 1st and Brunswick is a favorite hangout for Jersey City's cops. They're always there.
Thanks for the advice. Some of the places I am looking at are on 1st street between Brunswick and Colgate, I see the pizzeria you are talking about is within a block and the closest bar according to googlemaps is the lamp post and it appears to be far enough, maybe not tho. Do those groups of people at the bars tend to get violent or just loud?

Old 07-30-2010, 04:30 PM

303 posts, read 636,081 times
THat area is nowhere near bad. I used to work there doing deliviries from morning till late night. very few crime there. Most of downtown is safe, so not much too worry about but if you can live there, get it while you can, because your are the not the only one that wants to move to the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or