Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 11:38 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,981,247 times

Advertisements

As a resident of NJ, I am wondering why there is so much antagonism toward the MTV show, Jersey Shore, for portraying the realities of our youth.

We need to get our heads out of the sand......what is being portrayed in this show, is exactly what is happening in many American cities, today. I have travelled extensively throughout the USA, and out of it, during Spring Break, i.e,: Fort Lauderdale, Miami Beach, Pensacola, in Florida. Lake Havasu, in Arizona, Palm Springs, and San Diego, in California. Las Vegas, Nevada, Tijuana, Cancun, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, etc., etc., and the way our American youth behave here and there, is not any different than in the Jersey Shore show..........so why are we so upset about it?

It does not mean I condone, but let's be realistic, it is HAPPENING ...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 12:07 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,752,798 times
I think it gives a lot of people a reason to laugh at New Jersey because of the accents, orange tans, clothes, etc. of the people on the show. But I agree with you - it's basically a show about 20-somethings cutting loose and living the party lifestyle in a beach setting and is nothing unusual. Those are really just normal kids. Yes, they are a little extreme, but all kids everywhere at that age are into the same things - partying, fashion/style (particularly of their regional subculture), dating/romance, vacation spots like beaches/lakes/etc., etc... If you go to Panama City Beach in FL you see the same thing except maybe instead of an Affliction T-shirt the kids are maybe wearing golf shirts or sports-logo shirts, and instead of NJ/NY accents they have thick southern or midwestern accents. If anything, a lot of the trendiest kids in other parts of the country try to emulate the guidos from NJ/NY, and not the other way around.

I think that anyone who thinks "Jersey Shore" somehow is an indication of all New Jerseyans or even all 20-something NJ'ans is ignorant. Not all New Jerseyans are 20-something guidos; but there are those, also. So what? You would think some people were never young and lived a heavily-social "partying" lifestyle. To think this show (or any other) reflects poorly on NJ just doesn't make sense to me at all. The people who laugh at NJ because of such shows are just showing their ignorance. It's no different from someone from NJ laughing at Georgians or Floridians for all the mullet-headed, drunken rednecks on COPS who are constantly getting arrested while doing some crime shirtless - it's not representative of all those people and so what if they have people who are "different", you'll find "different" people everywhere.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:21 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,241,219 times
Well, what pisses people off is that most of the kids on the show are from NY, not NJ. and yet the show is ENTITLED "Jersey Shore" which gives a very false perception of NJ, and in fact pins all of the trashyness on NJ, not NY, through the show's title alone. It's just another example of NY getting credit for the positives of the NY metro area, and NJ geting credit (wrongly) for the negatives. Why? Because guess where the media is headquartered? NY.

The fact remains that I have encountered very, very, very few of these "types" of individuals who are FROM NJ. I have encountered many, many, MANY of these "types" that are from NY. Yet, nationwide, NJ almost EXCLUSIVELY gets "credit" for being a land of these "guidos".

It's just annoying, really. It wouldn't be as annoying if the stereotype was true. But it's very much false.

To be honest, I'd only be half as irked if the show was named something else. Throwing the word "Jersey" into the title is what ticks me off the most, I think!

Old 07-30-2010, 09:03 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,082,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post

To be honest, I'd only be half as irked if the show was named something else. Throwing the word "Jersey" into the title is what ticks me off the most, I think!
Well, the show takes place at the Jersey Shore. What else would they call it? "New Yorkers at the Jersey Shore" just doesn't have the same ring to it

Old 07-30-2010, 10:12 AM

5,815 posts, read 12,572,555 times
Well it's an economic shot in the arm for Seaside, Ocean County, and the state which collects sales taxes from all the expenditures from the crew.It's a reality show people. It's FAKE.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:06 AM

912 posts, read 2,438,355 times
Meh. I've spent my whole life living within 15 minutes of Seaside Heights. The show paints a pretty accurate picture of the summer debauchery in this area. NYers and North Jersey people come down and party, and a segment of them go to Seaside and live all the stereotypes - the fun, the fights, the drama and everything else. It's part of the character of some towns in the Shore area, like it or not. I actually happen to like it - the bottom line is that people need a place to party, and I hope they don't bulldoze the boardwalk and build overpriced condos there, with Nazi-style noise ordinances and uppity attitudes from new residents.

And as for what people from other states think... who cares? I don't lose any sleep at night obsessing over whether some hick from Peoria thinks I'm a guido.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:50 AM

232 posts, read 610,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Well, the show takes place at the Jersey Shore. What else would they call it? "New Yorkers at the Jersey Shore" just doesn't have the same ring to it
Well, I heard this season the D-Bags are down in Miami. What is the connection to NJ now?

Old 07-30-2010, 12:07 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,974,390 times
Of course it was called the Jersey Shore. That is where it took place. And of course the second season is called Jersey shore even though it is in Miami. They want people to know it has the same people in it.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:10 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,241,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
Meh. I've spent my whole life living within 15 minutes of Seaside Heights. The show paints a pretty accurate picture of the summer debauchery in this area. NYers and North Jersey people come down and party, and a segment of them go to Seaside and live all the stereotypes - the fun, the fights, the drama and everything else. It's part of the character of some towns in the Shore area, like it or not. I actually happen to like it - the bottom line is that people need a place to party, and I hope they don't bulldoze the boardwalk and build overpriced condos there, with Nazi-style noise ordinances and uppity attitudes from new residents.

And as for what people from other states think... who cares? I don't lose any sleep at night obsessing over whether some hick from Peoria thinks I'm a guido.
Indicative of life in Seaside Heights? Yes.

Indicative of life in NJ? No.

This is why many, myself included, are upset.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:22 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,974,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Indicative of life in Seaside Heights? Yes.

Indicative of life in NJ? No.

This is why many, myself included, are upset.

Anyone who would watch that show and think that is representative of the entire state must be a very stupid person. Why in the world would it upset you what someone that stupid thinks?

It would be like watching a show about Las Vegas and assuming the entire state of Nevada was like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey