Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:51 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,619,874 times

Advertisements

After only 23 days in office our new governor is trying to lower taxes on the state level. He announced 375 items that will be cut or scaled back and 4 pension reform bills. Our previous governor left us 2 billion in the hole for this year and 10 billion for next year. It's a been long time coming.Now the morons on the school level and town level must follow suit. And this is coming from a union member that will be affected by the pension reform. Maybe yourself and kids won't be taxed out of the state.Your views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 09:53 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,412,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
After only 23 days in office our new governor is trying to lower taxes on the state level. He announced 375 items that will be cut or scaled back and 4 pension reform bills. Our previous governor left us 2 billion in the hole for this year and 10 billion for next year. It's a been long time coming.Now the morons on the school level and town level must follow suit. And this is coming from a union member that will be affected by the pension reform. Maybe yourself and kids won't be taxed out of the state.Your views.

Great job! Of course I hope he cuts across the board and doesnt just pick and choose his favorites.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:13 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,714,749 times
It's going to be painful for everyone~~BUT~~~ we can not continue to spend money we do not have and dig ourselves into a deeper hole.
The pension reform, I wouldn't be suprised if current members are grandfathered and the newbies coming in will have a different structure.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:14 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
good for him, but how is this going to lower taxes when we're still 11 billion in the hole?

JM - highly doubt with your seniority you'd be affected.

Last edited by tahiti; 02-11-2010 at 10:31 AM..

Old 02-11-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
good for him, but how is this going to lower taxes when we're still 11 billion in the hole?
He isnt going to lower taxes. It just cant happen, if anything taxes will go up. Not knocking him at all it just has to happen to balance the budget. Cuts along with raising taxes will get us a lot closer to balancing the budget. I could pretty much balance the budget myself but thats only because I am not in bed with anyone....well other then my wife.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:27 AM

My first plan of action would be to freeze all state and municipal employees salaries.

Teachers,Cops,Firefighter,Troopers,Waste, anything that gets paid with tax payer money should be frozen for at least 2 years if not more. No more double dipping (pension) Cant have pensions for part time employees. Stop that crap of state approved vendors that rip off schools and the like with 200 dollar radios. The same radios can be bought in Walmart for 20 bucks. Crap like this kills us.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
He isnt going to lower taxes. It just cant happen, if anything taxes will go up. Not knocking him at all it just has to happen to balance the budget. Cuts along with raising taxes will get us a lot closer to balancing the budget. I could pretty much balance the budget myself but thats only because I am not in bed with anyone....well other then my wife.
that's exactly my thinking. if you read the article about this there's no mention of tax cuts. i'm not knocking him either.....it's like having a $30,000 VISA bill and thinking the way to pay is off is to cut your income in half...doesn't make sense.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
My first plan of action would be to freeze all state and municipal employees salaries.

Teachers,Cops,Firefighter,Troopers,Waste, anything that gets paid with tax payer money should be frozen for at least 2 years if not more. No more double dipping (pension) Cant have pensions for part time employees. Stop that crap of state approved vendors that rip off schools and the like with 200 dollar radios. The same radios can be bought in Walmart for 20 bucks. Crap like this kills us.
i know several state employees who haven't had a raise in over 2 yrs...add the furloughs and you've having a reduction in salary.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i know several state employees who haven't had a raise in over 2 yrs...add the furloughs and you've having a reduction in salary.
Exactly I say do it across the board. I dont think anyone can complain when its done like that.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:10 AM

Another thing would be to stop the crazy overtime pay. Everybody including cops, crazy what these people make in overtime. It bleeds the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey