Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:04 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
What does this have to do with how wide the lanes on the parkway are???
People are still going to drive
Its about reducing the amount that will use the Parkway , by getting as many people as we can off the roads. + the lanes are average on the parkway ,you mean the width of the parkway? Its fine when its not the summer season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 09:08 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
Try to take solace in the fact that you aren't still using a horse and buggy.
And also that you're not stuck on an Island.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:17 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,994,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
Yeah and it still widens up to 13 lanes by where they removed the tolls, I mean it really doesn't make sense to narrow it there.

But with this highway I agree it is horrible. No other place have I seen a highway that is five lanes each way and always jammed. At least from 130 on up.
When is it NOT jammed on the GSP exits 130 & up? LOL! Since the lanes are narrow, I'm always on-edge while driving to Newark!

They could also get done with their lane-widening/lane additions (whatever they're doing down there) between exits 60 & 80. It would be nice to travel back home in SJ without ALWAYS being stuck in that traffic jam around exit 80!

Old 08-02-2010, 09:43 AM

429 posts, read 931,440 times
Not that I'm saying it's good, but it's never seemed as bad to me as I-95 in Connecticut. That seems narrower to me, and people seem to drive crazier on it for whatever reason. I don't mind driving on the GSP, although I'd certainly prefer less congestion. But for 95 in CT, if I'm going far--like up to Maine or something, I don't mind going an hour to 90 minutes out of my way to avoid at least sections of it.

Keep in mind that I'm a "grandpa" driver. I prefer very mellow, uncongested, scenic routes, and I prefer to drive on the slow side--I'm more comfortable going 5-10 mph under the speed limit than over it. --OR--I fit right in when I'm in Oregon, lol. I've actually driven from Maine back to Jersey on US1, and I've driven from Jersey to Cleveland on back roads. I was going to drive from South Florida to Jersey on US1 once, but I only got to the Carolinas and had to give up as I was running out of time to get back, lol.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:18 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
The section of GSP from between the Driscoll Br to Union was originally 3 lanes each way, then as they where widening it to four I remember they figured out they could get 5 lanes in by narowing the lanes a bit. I think otherwise they would have to redo the bridges altogether.
Similarly on the Southern sections some of the original 2 lane sections lost a shoulder when they went to 3 lanes without extra widening work.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:37 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,994,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLuckoftheDraw View Post
Not that I'm saying it's good, but it's never seemed as bad to me as I-95 in Connecticut. That seems narrower to me, and people seem to drive crazier on it for whatever reason. I don't mind driving on the GSP, although I'd certainly prefer less congestion. But for 95 in CT, if I'm going far--like up to Maine or something, I don't mind going an hour to 90 minutes out of my way to avoid at least sections of it.

Keep in mind that I'm a "grandpa" driver. I prefer very mellow, uncongested, scenic routes, and I prefer to drive on the slow side--I'm more comfortable going 5-10 mph under the speed limit than over it. --OR--I fit right in when I'm in Oregon, lol. I've actually driven from Maine back to Jersey on US1, and I've driven from Jersey to Cleveland on back roads. I was going to drive from South Florida to Jersey on US1 once, but I only got to the Carolinas and had to give up as I was running out of time to get back, lol.
I like I-95 in Connecticut, haha! That's could also be due to the fact that I've only traveled on that road AFTER MIDNIGHT, lol! Barely any traffic from what I remember, while taking the late night trips to Louis Lunch in New Haven from NJ! I agree, the scenic routes are much better to take when you're not pressed for time!

Old 08-02-2010, 07:33 PM

912 posts, read 2,445,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Maybe we need to push for the MOM network to be built must of the traffic is south of Raritan River.
I'd say that the bulk of the Parkway delays run between northern Monmouth County (right before the bridge) to the Union tolls. There is also now a somewhat significant daily rush hour around Toms River/Exits 83-80, but most of the traffic is still north of the Raritan - or more appropriately, right NEAR the Raritan.

I don't think widening lanes does much of anything. I'd say that the project to convert the Parkway in Ocean/Atlantic counties from 2 to 3 lanes is worth it since these areas are still growing and many communities are converting from seasonal to year-round, but for much of New Jersey, the population is dense and remaining dense without many drastic swings. You could throw 10 more lanes onto the Parkway and I doubt it would do much.

If they really wanted to improve traffic flow, they'd get Troopers to pull over people who are left-lane camping and practicing poor (and dangerous) lane discipline. Hiding behind a bush running radar might make $$$, but it does just about nothing to improve safety and traffic flow.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:06 PM

877 posts, read 2,838,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
I'd say that the bulk of the Parkway delays run between northern Monmouth County (right before the bridge) to the Union tolls. There is also now a somewhat significant daily rush hour around Toms River/Exits 83-80, but most of the traffic is still north of the Raritan - or more appropriately, right NEAR the Raritan.

I don't think widening lanes does much of anything. I'd say that the project to convert the Parkway in Ocean/Atlantic counties from 2 to 3 lanes is worth it since these areas are still growing and many communities are converting from seasonal to year-round, but for much of New Jersey, the population is dense and remaining dense without many drastic swings. You could throw 10 more lanes onto the Parkway and I doubt it would do much.

If they really wanted to improve traffic flow, they'd get Troopers to pull over people who are left-lane camping and practicing poor (and dangerous) lane discipline. Hiding behind a bush running radar might make $$$, but it does just about nothing to improve safety and traffic flow.
Yeah I can't tell you how often I see that. And I glance over the car is empty too.

I think the worst stretch of the Parkway is up by the Oranges though. It gets bad by the Driscoll Bridge through to the Union tolls, but past there it gets even worse for the next ten miles until you hit the Essex tolls.

I never really thought the Parkway had narrow lanes though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey