Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 12:02 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,007,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyLaSalle View Post
That x is a possible explanation doesn't imply that x is the explanation. There might be hundreds of possible explanations. Without more information, there are certainly other possible explanations why a DVR wouldn't record a show.
The OP's implication was it was a weather related issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 01:02 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,636,300 times
On my roof, I don't know what type it is, I just got a new one about 6 weeks ago.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:41 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,365,233 times
The latest dish's from DirecTV are all slims. I did not want it on my roof for several reasons 1) Snow build up- you gotta climb up the roof to clean it off 2) Roof warranty expires - puts holes in roof causes leak and bye bye warranty.

Mine is mounted about 5 ft off ground on side of house on vinyl siding. Again, only time(s) it went out was terrential down pours and lasted few minutes. Snow\Wind\Ice has not effected it. Only rain. I can deal

Old 08-06-2010, 05:15 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,636,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
The latest dish's from DirecTV are all slims. I did not want it on my roof for several reasons 1) Snow build up- you gotta climb up the roof to clean it off 2) Roof warranty expires - puts holes in roof causes leak and bye bye warranty.

Mine is mounted about 5 ft off ground on side of house on vinyl siding. Again, only time(s) it went out was terrential down pours and lasted few minutes. Snow\Wind\Ice has not effected it. Only rain. I can deal
that's funny, pretty much contradicts what you said here.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/15309346-post10.html

sounds like you work for DirecTV.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:58 PM

50 posts, read 185,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I wouldn't say I have "frequent" drop outs, but they occur more often than what is being expressed on this board. Just last week I had a few DVR'ed shows not record. I still love DirecTV and wouldn't switch to Comcast despite it.

if you had paid, like 45 or 65$ per month for first year, did you pay more after the first year? i dont want to be in contract. so do you know what are my options.?

Old 08-12-2010, 04:14 PM

76 posts, read 242,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmohan View Post
i'm thinking of switching to directv, but dont have any idea of how much do they charge for the internet(verizon fios especially)? i need a speed equivalent to the cable internet(comcast).anybody who already have this, please give me your ideas........
If you mean getting internet through satellite, Direct TV is very expensive--something like $100 setup and $50 a month. But they have a deal with Verizon and other providers to provide internet and phone along with their satellite TV. Their TV package is a good deal (except that you have to put up with outages from rain now and then), but you'd have to check and compare how much their bundled service is compared to what you get and what else is available in your area.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:20 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,365,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
that's funny, pretty much contradicts what you said here.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/15309346-post10.html

sounds like you work for DirecTV.
Another one who does nothing useful in these forums.

There is nothing in my other post that contradicts what I originally said.

Last edited by todd72173; 08-12-2010 at 04:38 PM..

Old 06-04-2012, 01:08 PM

3 posts, read 2,929 times
Hi, I am looking for an updated opinion on whether it's better to go with cable or satellite in downtown Jersey City in 2012. I am moving to the area shortly. I just want basic TV but also Internet and phone. I looked into Fios but apparently its not available in my building. Is Internet via satellite a problem at all? I read somewhere one must have a good view to the South to get good satellite reception. Thanks to anyone who can pass on some advice!

Old 06-04-2012, 02:17 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,587,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writergal View Post
Hi, I am looking for an updated opinion on whether it's better to go with cable or satellite in downtown Jersey City in 2012. I am moving to the area shortly. I just want basic TV but also Internet and phone. I looked into Fios but apparently its not available in my building. Is Internet via satellite a problem at all? I read somewhere one must have a good view to the South to get good satellite reception. Thanks to anyone who can pass on some advice!
I'm willing to bet, they aren't actually giving you internet through the satellite. What usually happens is that you get a "bundle" service price where your TV is through DirecTV/Dish and then your internet and phone would be through one of the other local providers. Usually in NJ that means you get Verizon DSL and a traditional landline phone. There are a lot of pitfalls in this arrangement since you technically have two different services through two different providers. For instance, the satellite company may give you a 30-day window to cancel for no-charge. However, that same deal doesn't apply to the Verizon half of the bundle or vice-versa.

If you want a "true" bundle where you get all three services through the same provider and you don't have Verizon FiOS, then your only option is going to be the local cable provider.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:34 PM

271 posts, read 1,017,670 times
I think Jersey City downtown is mostly Optimum's field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey