U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 11:43 AM

1,165 posts, read 981,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Any bus services are usually listed on the NJ Transit website, depends where in Piscataway you are.
Also that bridge is the Outerbridge crossing, the Verazzano is on the other side of SI going from SI to Brooklyn & LI.

That evil demon racist website Google maps also displays oublic transit options.
oops my mistake! I always thought it was the Verazzano for some reason...whatever! Thanks for the correction! *updates her post*

Why is the Google maps website an evil, demon racist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereo123 View Post
Thanks guys for quick and very informative replies. However, for various reasons, I don't think I can afford have a car while I will be in Piscataway. Is there any way to know how to get to the station in New Brunswick/ Edison without a car? I suppose taxi would be too expensive. Any local bus/ train services?
You would have to take a bus. There's the 819 that can take you to the Metuchen NJ Transit rail station ( located on the NEC line after Edison, closer to NYC) However, the 819 stops their services in the early evening between 6 and 7pm. You can also take the 819 to Rt. 27/Main St. and get on the 810 that will take you to the NB NJ transit station. The 810 stops running around 9pm or so. If you won't get back from work until late, taxi is your best bet from the train station. Sorry.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:50 PM

9 posts, read 10,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
You would have to take a bus. There's the 819 that can take you to the Metuchen NJ Transit rail station ( located on the NEC line after Edison, closer to NYC) However, the 819 stops their services in the early evening between 6 and 7pm. You can also take the 819 to Rt. 27/Main St. and get on the 810 that will take you to the NB NJ transit station. The 810 stops running around 9pm or so. If you won't get back from work until late, taxi is your best bet from the train station. Sorry.
Great help! Thanks a lot, stressed girl! However, don't be too much stressed. It's the best time of your life, so enjoy your college days as much as you can. Best of luck.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Great help! Thanks a lot, stressed girl! However, don't be too much stressed. It's the best time of your life, so enjoy your college days as much as you can. Best of luck.
LOL!!! Glad I could be of help though! Thanks! I'm trying to stay as stressed-free as possible, but you know how college is, lol!

Old 08-02-2010, 03:54 PM

3,356 posts, read 4,838,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
oops my mistake! I always thought it was the Verazzano for some reason...whatever! Thanks for the correction! *updates her post*

Why is the Google maps website an evil, demon racist?
Actually I hardly ever call anyone or anything racist, I let people have their opinions, but Google, itself wiped out coverage and display of many internet usenet news groups based on whether or not they feel its "politically correct". I'd rather see the info and judge for myself.

Usenet has traditionally been a protected haven of internet personal expressions and free exchange of ideas.

Worse than China.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:20 PM

272 posts, read 520,490 times
If you plan to live in Piscataway, then you'll need a car. It's a suburb! I grew up here and couldn't imagine not having a car. Even if you buy a cheap crapper just to get you to the train station. I used to attend NYU and would drive to Metropark and use the daily parking garage. Take Northeast Corridor (NEC) Line to Newark then PATH to NYC/downtown or you can take the NEC directly to NYC/33rd st. I have many friends that are cops in Pway and can tell you that crime is generally low but areas near Plainfield, NJ see more it. Ethnicity is generally a nice melting pot of caucasian, afro-am, asian, and hispanic. Are you looking for condos or apts?

Old 08-02-2010, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 954 times
Post Piscataway-New Brunswick-NYC without a car

Quote:
Thanks guys for quick and very informative replies. However, for various reasons, I don't think I can afford have a car while I will be in Piscataway. Is there any way to know how to get to the station in New Brunswick/ Edison without a car? I suppose taxi would be too expensive. Any local bus/ train services?
Hey stereo, I was in the same position not long ago. I don't drive, yet had to get from Linden NJ to Piscataway for work. Here's what I did:

1. Take the NJ Transit Northeast Corridor train (usually) from Linden to New Brunswick.

2. Come down the stairs, and go round the back of the train station, to Somerset Street.

3. Wait for one of the Rutgers University shuttle buses going towards Busch Campus (usually the H bus), and get out at Davidson Hall.

4. Walk three miles or so to my office.

This worked out pretty good, since the RU Shuttle is FREE. The only downside would have been if I had missed the Shuttle, or if this was during winter -- that walk would have turned me into an icicle for sure!

You can find out when the next Shuttle will be along in real time using NextBus. Details of the Shuttle's schedule, routes, etc. can be seen here:

[url=http://parktran.rutgers.edu/campusbuses.shtml]Rutgers-NewBrunswick/Piscataway Campus Buses and Shuttles[/url]

Even though you will be at the mercy of NJ Transit (especially during the weekends, yikes!), it is vastly easier to get from New Brunswick to New York City, than it would be to get from Piscataway to NYC, if you don't have a car. The NJ Transit schedules for trains from New Brunswick to NYC can be seen here:

[url=http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainSchedulesTo]New Jersey Transit[/url]

Hope you enjoy your stay in Piscataway/New Brunswick!

Old 08-03-2010, 12:47 PM

1,494 posts, read 3,287,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalabi99 View Post
Hey stereo, I was in the same position not long ago. I don't drive, yet had to get from Linden NJ to Piscataway for work. Here's what I did:

1. Take the NJ Transit Northeast Corridor train (usually) from Linden to New Brunswick.

2. Come down the stairs, and go round the back of the train station, to Somerset Street.

3. Wait for one of the Rutgers University shuttle buses going towards Busch Campus (usually the H bus), and get out at Davidson Hall.

4. Walk three miles or so to my office.
Wow, how long did all that take? Just walking the 3 miles would take an hour for most people. You did this every day, each way?

Old 08-03-2010, 12:54 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,445,680 times
Taking a bus, walking down stairs, no car, living in piscataway, commuting to NYC all equal total failure.
Its like putting duct tape on the BP pipeline.

Point is, Living in piscataway requires a car. Parking in metroPark requires getting on a waiting list which will take years to be accepted. No Car, no way. Suggest you look for a job in Piscataway or move to NYC area.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:12 AM

6 posts, read 11,075 times
Quote:
I just graduated from Grad school in Miami, FL. I am planning to move to Piscataway for a training session. However I'd like to look out for jobs and therefore would probably need easy communication to NJ city and/ or NYC constantly. Is living in a Piscataway a good option? What is the easiest way to commute from Piscataway to NYC? How far would that be according to time distance?
There is no train station in Piscataway, however, just to the south there is the Edision TS with direct (one seat) travel to Penn Station, NYC. To the north there is the Dunellen TS on the Raritan Valley line which goes to Newark. From there you can switch trains to either Penn Sation, NYC or the Path train to lower Manhattan (WTC), both are two seat options. You can go to mid town via the PATH but now you're talking three seats (change in Newark to the PATH, then get off in Jersey city to a different PATH train that goes to 34th St.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey