Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 11:16 AM

86 posts, read 289,760 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Englewood and while we love living there we're moving due to the public school system. The community is very segregated so the public schools don't reflect the diversity in which the town offers. As a parent of a 7 year old son and 10 month old baby-diversity and schools are very important to us as well as recreation-community, etc.

We decided on Westwood...but now thinking about Rutherford. Any feedback comparisons of both towns? Schools, community feel, diversity (race, social economic, etc.), recreation, etc. Our budget is $450K for at least a 3 bedroom....

I work in Midtown Manhattan....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 02:40 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,752,199 times
I don't know anything about Westwood but the commute to midtown from Rutherford is great and the town is very cute. Lots of older homes with charm and nice small walkable downtown area.

I'm not sure that it hits on your diversity requirement though, we used to live in Lyndhurst right next door and you could definitely pick us out of a large crowd. This sort of thing doesn't really bother me people are people; just because you are the same color as someone doesn't mean you are the same as them and just because your different colors doesn't mean your not same. But I could understand why someone to raise there kids in a diverse neighborhood.

If you go to school digger.com it will give you a pretty exact number of how many kids of each race are registered in the school.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:22 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
It takes me 50-1.6hrs form Westwood to Midtown or Newark on most days. Thats on a good day , but its not a bad commute. Rutherford is less then 40mins by Train or bus to midtown. Schools are the same in both towns , same amount of parks etc. I noticed Englewood is very diverse yet segregated , its very sad. That part of the county is very weird , anyway. Now that i think about it Westwood is pretty Segregated , my town is more diverse. My town is next to Westwood is a bit more integrated. Blacks like me live with whites , the town has a decent Jewish and Asian population. Growing Asian population. Bi-Racial Families like mine are on every block. Black-White , White - Asian Families like that , almost no crime. We share schools with Westwood.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:35 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
westwood is less diversified !! THis town is much less diversified than the town you currently reside. Its basically white. The school system especially HS students from Washington Twshp go to Westwood HS and those students are mostly upper middle class whites! This is not the town to move to if you want diversity. Where do you think Westwood was less diversified than ENGLEWOOD????

Old 08-02-2010, 03:41 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
It takes me 50-1.6hrs form Westwood to Midtown or Newark on most days. Thats on a good day , but its not a bad commute. Rutherford is less then 40mins by Train or bus to midtown. Schools are the same in both towns , same amount of parks etc. I noticed Englewood is very diverse yet segregated , its very sad. That part of the county is very weird , anyway. Now that i think about it Westwood is pretty Segregated , my town is more diverse. My town is next to Westwood is a bit more integrated. Blacks like me live with whites , the town has a decent Jewish and Asian population. Growing Asian population. Bi-Racial Families like mine are on every block. Black-White , White - Asian Families like that , almost no crime. We share schools with Westwood.
In all respect this person is coming from Englewood so how is that more diversified? I guess Englewood segerates the school system???

Old 08-02-2010, 04:28 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
In all respect this person is coming from Englewood so how is that more diversified? I guess Englewood segerates the school system???
Washington Township is more diverse then Westwood and your views on who goes to school are wrong. The Upper Middle Class send there kids to private schools. Washington Township is also more nicer then Westwood , Westwood has some run down areas.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:49 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,125,984 times
I'm also a mom and just moved to Rutherford. Before making the decision, one of the towns I was considering was Westwood because of its town center.

Rutherford seems to be more diverse and the commute is much better than Westwood. If you have kids and work in midtown you're better off in Rutherford. Every minute you spend commuting is time you're spending away from your children.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Yes-exactly. When I speak of diversity I'm not only speaking in terms of race. Englewood is a very diverse town-but it is not reflected in the public schools.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
I'm also a mom and just moved to Rutherford. Before making the decision, one of the towns I was considering was Westwood because of its town center.

Rutherford seems to be more diverse and the commute is much better than Westwood. If you have kids and work in midtown you're better off in Rutherford. Every minute you spend commuting is time you're spending away from your children.
Thanks so much. How is the recreation department, sports, school environment, etc? I'd love to hear from you-Mom to Mom.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:46 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
Westwood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey