Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 03:42 PM

239 posts, read 1,140,807 times

Advertisements

In the past two weeks I met 3 people who live in Scotch Plains who hope to eventually buy in Westfield, and another person who lived in Scotch Plains many years and bought in Westfield recently. I asked them why they would move from a great town to another great town--and the consensus was that really Westfield has "more". The community feel, the lively downtown, the pool, the Y, the schools, etc. I love it here and came to the conclusion that it was the best place for our family after many months of research. My second choice would have been Cranford. I do have major house envy when visiting some big homes with huge yards in Scotch Plains, bought for about the same we paid for our small house with small yard--but honestly, we love it here so much it's only a fleeting thought.

As for the schools, if you go by NJ Monthly rankings, it appears that Westfield and Cranford are about equal and Scotch Plains/Fanwood are quite a bit lower in the rankings.
Top New Jersey high schools by rank | www.njmonthly.com

But if you go by the actual test scores (which is not the only thing that should be considered in my opinion), it looks like Westfield has a very slight edge over Cranford, and Scotch Plains/Fanwood is only very slightly lower. I would say that they're all about equal to be honest. I would be happy to have my child in any of the schools of these towns.

Click on School Test Scores: Union County
New Jersey by the Numbers - NJ.com

As for this comment:
Quote:
I do think the people in Cranford and SP have more grounded attitudes and are not as full of themselves as many in Westfield.
I know that there is this reputation about Westfield, and I was concerned about it myself before moving here. I've been here almost 3 years and can honestly say that I have not found this to be true at ALL. This is a warm and friendly community where I run into lots of smiling faces on a daily basis. It's a great feeling. The snob factor is a myth, at least in my experience.

If you search any of my past posts you will see how I wax sentimental about this town and I have also shared my friend's blog about Westfield--Westfield Clio--you can search for it. She is a writer who has a way of creating vignettes about life here in Westfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 03:58 PM

35 posts, read 82,599 times
Default Snob Factor

I know that there is this reputation about Westfield, and I was concerned about it myself before moving here. I've been here almost 3 years and can honestly say that I have not found this to be true at ALL. This is a warm and friendly community where I run into lots of smiling faces on a daily basis. It's a great feeling. The snob factor is a myth, at least in my experience. [/quote]

After living in the area for over 30 years and being involved in nursery school, YMCA and many activities in Westfield I can attest to the snob factor being alive and well!

Maybe our experiences are different because you live in Westfield. Maybe folks are changing. But I have had and witnessed many incidents of the 'superior attitude' of many Westfield folk. I do believe many in town 'look down upon' those in Cranford and SP. I won't go into detail but I even witnessed a school official tell a group of elementary school children to be thankful they don't have to live in any neighboring town. I have witnessed HS girls making fun of those who live in "Garwood"etc.etc.

Like I stated, I have been around a long time and maybe things are changing I hope so.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:07 PM

49 posts, read 124,817 times
This can be said of any middle/upper middle class town. You may have a few "superior attitude" people but for the majority of friends and neighbors this is just not true. Maybe years age this was the case but I would not have traded the education, community spirit, neighborhood friendliness and safety for anything. Westfield is everything I thought it would be. My kids wish they could buy a house in Westfield and raise their children here but can't afford it. Good Luck whatever you do.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:10 PM

239 posts, read 1,140,807 times
I hope things are changing, I think they must be, or maybe I just haven't experienced it yet--my oldest child will enter kindergarten in Sept--who knows what will happen in Middle School/High School?

I am worried about the "sense of entitlement" factor that many teens of well-off families have. (I am a teacher who has worked in private schools of extremely wealthy families--Westfield would be slumming it for them--so I have witnessed this at that age level elsewhere) Time will tell, but I am optimistic so far.

What you're describing, Stitchie is something I hope never to witness. Fingers crossed.

Another thing to the original poster--you don't actually have to live in Westfield to experience all it has to offer. I have friends in all 3 places. I go to John's Meat Market and the Farmer's market in Scotch Plains, my children get their hair cut and take gym classes in Cranford, we shop in Clark, Garwood, Fanwood. We love the parks in all 3 towns. It's all sort of like one continuous town.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:31 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,160,337 times
Snob factor and sense of entitlement are definitely something that my wife and I will not tolerate within our home. I can't control other people's attitudes but I hope that I can instill integrity and be grateful of everything that my little girl has as she grows up. If that's about the worst thing you can say about a town/community, then I think I finally found my home

Old 10-30-2010, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 4,139 times
I have to strongly disagree about the Scotch Plains/Fanwood Schools not being comparable to Westfield and Cranford. Westfield has a lot of snob appeal and that is what you are paying for. Fanwood is a lovely small town; very walkable and close to Westfield's downtown which in essence is my downtown for major shopping. Fanwood has small downtown which is redeveloping as we speak.

As far as crime goes, it is very safe. True that that is borders Plainfield but it is the affluent part of Plainflied. which is very safe.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:35 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,886,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartsurge View Post
I have to strongly disagree about the Scotch Plains/Fanwood Schools not being comparable to Westfield and Cranford. Westfield has a lot of snob appeal and that is what you are paying for. Fanwood is a lovely small town; very walkable and close to Westfield's downtown which in essence is my downtown for major shopping. Fanwood has small downtown which is redeveloping as we speak.

As far as crime goes, it is very safe. True that that is borders Plainfield but it is the affluent part of Plainflied. which is very safe.
In Plainfield, we used to make fun of the parvenus who lived in Scotch Plains. Not only were their houses new, but they couldn't wait to get the latest new thing--cassettes, for example. In Plainfield, we were perfectly content with records, and didn't need those silly tapes (until we were old enough to drive, that is).

I'm making fun here, but the whole "My town is better than your town" thing has gone on for as long as there have been towns, and will likely continue to go on, and on, and on.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:55 PM

877 posts, read 2,837,894 times
Don't know much about Cranford, but the whole Scotch Plains/Fanwood/Westfield area is very very nice, but also very expensive. I think broken down Westfield is the most expensive in Union County, not 100% sure but I remember hearing something like that.

I honestly don't think SP is devoid of a "snob" factor and that is something I absolutely cannot stand in a community. I have cousins in the school system and I know one of them was not happy with the way things turned out, she just started college this year and her opinion of the SPF schools and community is not entirely dissimilar to my opinion of Manalapan, the town I grew up in, which when my parents leave I will be more than happy to never set foot on its soil again.

All towns are MUCH NICER than Manalapan. These towns have character, nice old houses with lots of trees and woods all around. Scotch Plains' downtown is located right off Rt 22. There isn't much to do there, but it's a nice little walkable main street that gives more of a sense of community. Manalapan has Englishtown which technically could pass for a downtown, located more than 2 miles away from Rt 9, and when you get to it it looks like an abandoned ghost town surrounded by soulless cookie-cutter McMansions treeless robot villages built on former farmland. Not to say SP doesn't have any of that, I think all NJ towns do at this point, but one small pocket of it wouldn't hurt so much.

Cranford is supposed to be just as expensive as the others I am almost positive. I really don't know much else about it though. It does seem a lot more densely populated and "urban" while the others seem very quiet.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:04 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,014 times
Westfield is far from "broken-down." It is the most affluent of all the neighborhoods mentioned. However, it does have some definite "snob" appeal.

And Cranford is far from "urban" and is not "densely populated." Though I live in Westfield, I actually like Cranford the most of all the towns mentioned.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:02 PM

4,148 posts, read 4,169,267 times
Cranford does has more "urban" feel than the others. We have smaller lots here, so your neighbor is really close to you. If you are looking for starter home, Cranford probably the best of the 4 towns. However, if you looking for a big home with a big yard, you can pretty much forget about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey