Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 02:38 PM

11 posts, read 24,886 times

Advertisements

My husband is going to The Joe Kubert School thats in Dover.

We planned that he'd go to school while i worked and took care of the bills. (Im going to school to but after he is finished with his) I work at Ikea for 8.25 FT in Dallas TX.

I looked up condos, apartments and such in Dover TX and near there and the cheapest i found was up to 900. Im worried. I don't know if my pay rate will go up when i move out to NJ or if i might have to look for a job that will pay me more at NJ. Were going into new territory and im not sure how much is food or gas there. Im really worried that i might not be able to take care of the bills.

I'd like to know whats the minimum i need to make to make ends meet.

Where are you coming from? Dallas TX
Why are you moving? Husband is attending The Joe Kubert School
Where will you be working? Either Elizabeth or Paramus at the IKEA store.

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget? 800 a month
What kind of place are you looking for? Condo, town home or Apartment

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you? My husband
Do you need/want good public schools? No kids

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)
I'd like to live in an Artsy, safe, quiet neighborhood but where not picky, as long as its a safe area.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)
Near grocery stores, easy parking, near high ways.

Last edited by Limesy; 08-03-2010 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 05:16 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
Is your husband going to be working?

Making $8.25 an hour is not gonna get you very far in NJ. Rent alone on a 1 BR apt is gonna be $800 + utilities.

I think you need to be making $500+ a week between the 2 of you just to get your basic needs settled.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:34 PM

No it will only be me working

Old 08-03-2010, 07:29 PM

81 posts, read 174,304 times
I think you should ask IKEA prior to moving here if there will be a pay deferential for NJ.

Otherwise, making $8.25 at 40 hours per week will be very tight for you and your husband.
Also remember, your "NET" Pay ( after taxes) will also eat into your salary.

And keep in mind , we have " State Income Taxes" in NJ, unlike your current state of Texas

As GiantRutgers correctly stated, your monthly utilities will also be a factor.

Plus, DOVER is NOT close to either Paramus or Elizabeth. You will definitely incur " Transporation Expenses" which I suggest you research the cost involved. ( whether its by train, bus, driving, etc.)

Please do not get me wrong. I am in No Way Discouraging you to move. I am a firm believer in going for your Dreams, whatever it takes, if that will make you happy. Every Big Goal requires sacrifice.

However, just like others here including GiantRutgers, we strongly suggest your carefully plan your move & your game plan since this is without a doubt a MAJOR undertaking.

The last thing you want is to be stuck in NJ without a support structure to help you guys while your husband is in school.

With all that said, if you and your husband want this badly & are united & willing to do whatever it takes to reach your goals, I'm sure it will work out & you'll be fine. It will surely require a lot of sacrifice on both your part but I have yet to find a Major Goal that was easy to achieve. If one wants it badly enough, one can & will get it..... through lots of belief, hardwork & faith.

I wish you guys the best of luck !

" If the mind can conceive & believe, the mind can achieve"

Old 08-03-2010, 07:32 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
Dover is a very hispanic town. Are you guys hispanic?...if not I would pick a nearby town. Perhaps somewhere in-between where you will be working and the college. Also I don't think you are going to make it on one salary making $8.50 an hour. Your husband is going to have to get a night / weekend job.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:42 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limesy View Post
No it will only be me working
I dont think you have much of a shot.

Even if they give you a raise to $11 an hour, thats only about $375 a week after taxes.

That would be $1500 a month.

$800- rent
$150- utilities
$150- car insurance
$100- phone/internet/tv
$100- gasoline
$200- groceries

That is $1500 in expenses right there. That alone would take up all of your income....

Old 08-03-2010, 08:11 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post

Even if they give you a raise to $11 an hour, thats only about $375 a week after taxes.

$800- rent
$150- utilities
$150- car insurance
$100- phone/internet/tv
$100- gasoline
$200- groceries

That is $1500 in expenses right there. That alone would take up all of your income....
Gas & Groceries are alot higher then that more like 200-300$ a month.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:59 PM

Thank you everyone for your comments, I will defiantly try and see if i can find me another job that has a much more higher pay or see if my husband can get a job. (His school only accepts full time students) But the numbers really helps out to give me something to look at and work with. Also thanks for the rooting for following our dreams, we will defiantly find a way to get to NJ

Old 08-04-2010, 05:58 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Unless you are working off hours you don't even want to think about the commute to either Elizabeth or Paramus. The only plus to Paramus is it is in Bergen County and under the Blue Law meaning Ikea will be closed on Sundays...so you would have one weekend day off

What skills do you have? If it's just retail you are fighting a tough battle as retail doesn't pay much, perhaps more than what you make in TX but not a livable wage in NJ.

NJ's economy is not the best right now and competition for any job available is fierce.

In addition, and I'm pointing this out as it's not the norm in many Southern states, when you rent an apt you will need to have the first months rent plus 1 and 1/2 months rent as security..big chunk of change to come up with. Most places only have a 1 year lease..so you're locked in for 1 year.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:06 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post

$800- rent
$150- utilities
$150- car insurance
$100- phone/internet/tv
$100- gasoline
$200- groceries

That amounts to $25 per week for gas....could be much higher if commuting to Elizabeth or Paramus from Dover area depending on type of vehicle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey