Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 05:28 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,394,519 times

Advertisements

So I have an issue. The water pressure in my home is low - tested around 50 by the plumber. The issue has to do with a galvonized pipe that comes into the house from the main. Solution is - dig to replace the pipe. Haven't gotten the estimate yet, but i am expecting it to not be good.

Does anyone know of any other solutions to fix water pressure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 05:42 PM

359 posts, read 1,099,369 times
did he check the pressure on the line befor any water meter, valves?? or after some valves or reduceing valve???

Old 08-04-2010, 08:48 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,675,525 times
high housing prices, high taxes, crappy schools, and low water pressure? what a bargain WO is!

i kid, i kid

Old 08-04-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
high housing prices, high taxes, crappy schools, and low water pressure? what a bargain WO is!

i kid, i kid
you really hate WO for some reason eh? the prices aren't that high, relative to the other towns. taxes are high, but where in NJ are they not? the schools are good, not great.

water pressure sucks though.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:46 PM

839 posts, read 2,416,045 times
I'm a Colorado licensed plumber and water pressure concerns are something I deal with from time to time. Old galvanized water lines corrode from the inside out and over time the diameter of the pipe becomes smaller and smaller. This has an adverse effect on water pressure. Unfortunately, the only way to cure the problem is to replace the pipes. Out here we commonly use PEX tubing for this type of job as it is easy to install, highly resistant to freeze breaks, and never corrodes. Copper pipe is also a good choice depending on the chemistry of the water where you live.

Once the old pipe is replaced if the water pressure is still inadequate, ask your plumber about adding a booster pump and pressure tank. Most places out here have good pressure so we don't have a lot of demand for these systems, but every once in a while we'll install one. How it works is the incoming water line (water service) is plumbed into the pump and the discharge from the pump goes to the tank. Then the rest of the water pipes are connected to the tank. The pump will build pressure to the desired level, typically 60 psi, and the tank will store anywhere from 10-40 gallons of water under pressure. The size of the tank will depend on the size of the house, how many fixtures, how many residents, etc. What the tank does is allow full pressure without the pump having to run constantly thus prolonging it's life.

One thing you can try if your plumber didn't do it for you is to adjust the setting of the PRV (pressure reducing valve). If you live in an area known for low water pressure your house might not have one though. Look near where your water line comes into your house or in a utility room. You're looking for a brass valve with a flat head screw or hex head bolt coming out the top of the valve. (google pressure reducing valve for a picture if you want). There will be a lock nut on this bolt which you will need to loosen. Next, turn the bolt or screw one full turn to the RIGHT. This sounds counter intuitive but turning the bolt to the right increases pressure coming through the valve. Check the pressure with a dial gauge on the cold water connection to your washing machine. This gauge can be purchased at Home Depot or Lowe's for about $10 bucks (look in the aisle with all the sprinkler system parts). See if the pressure comes up after you adjust it. If it does keep turning the bolt until you reach 55-60 psi. If it doesn't change, there really isn't much you can do without doing the re-pipe I mentioned above.

Again, not having worked where you are, I don't know if a PRV is required by your local plumbing code, so there might not be one.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes....

Old 08-05-2010, 05:41 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,675,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
you really hate WO for some reason eh? the prices aren't that high, relative to the other towns. taxes are high, but where in NJ are they not? the schools are good, not great.

water pressure sucks though.
ease up. I said "I kid" didn't I? just trying to lighten the mood, sheesh.

btw - i don't "hate" west orange. pointing out flaws in the town now equates to hate? for crying out loud...

Old 08-05-2010, 05:56 AM

hehehe tahiti. i was being playful too. no worries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey