Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 06:23 PM

132 posts, read 518,546 times

Advertisements

No I am not totally crazy but I do have an anxiety disorder that I want to have treated. I live in Woodbridge so the closer the better to my town the better. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 10:25 AM

381 posts, read 1,305,126 times
Finding the right shrink is very personal. It doesn't even work to get a recommendation from a close friend or family member. You just have to look for yourself. Your primary care doctor should be able to give you a start, or just do a Google search for yourself.

My advice is, plan in the beginning to see at least three. Make starter appointments, maybe free initial consultations, and ask them a few questions to get a sense of their personality and skill. Don't tell them too much about your case. Condense your issues - the reason why you are entering treatment - into a short statement. The reason is that it is quite painful to open up your heart and then have the shrink not "get it," and have to do it all over again. So think of the first time as a job interview where you are interviewing them, and don't hesitate to say, This one is not for me, no matter how much they might pressure you. Don't get invested in the first meeting.

I remember once in couples therapy a shrink that we were interviewing went down on her knees to beg me to continue with her. Good grief! Some of them are just weird.

Also, be clear with them whether you're looking for short or long-term therapy and ask them about it. Long-termers are not going to be enthusiastic if you want quick results, but if that's what you want, forget them and politely move on. You won't change a long-termer into a short-termer although the reverse might be doable. : )

JMO, of course. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: