U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-07-2010, 05:20 PM

22 posts, read 49,861 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving back to NJ after 7 years of living in FL. I have a 9 year old daughter going into 4th grade. I will have her go through 4th grade in FL, but we want to be back in NJ for 5th grade. She is visually impaired, reading and writing Braille. She has some vision, but not enough not to use Braille. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or experience with any school districts in NJ regarding Commission for the Blind and how they work with the kids and school districts. When I called they told me they will give her whatever she receives in FL. I just get nervous because we originally moved out of NJ because of all the budget cuts to the services for the blind, but our family and friends are all up there, and we are tired of being alone!! Any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 06:06 AM

3,730 posts, read 8,185,330 times
Morristown has the guide dog training and Denville has training for blind so you could probably contact them and they could refer you. I don't know details but would contact your local school district or board of education for specific information as for programs that could help your daughter, I c/b wrong but in general I think she'd get more help in a somewhat larger school than a smaller one in a rural area. Good luck w/ your move.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:55 AM

316 posts, read 700,792 times
This isn't Jersey-specific but it might give you some ideas.
V. I. Guide Home Page, for parents and teachers of blind and visually impaired children

Old 08-13-2010, 06:52 PM

22 posts, read 49,861 times
thank you both very much!!

Old 07-11-2011, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,000 times
Hello pnutzmom,
I was wondering how you made out with locating a school that could accomodate your daughter's needs. I am a school counselor in New Jersey, who recently found out that one of my student's was injured a couple of weeks ago. He is now legally blind in both eyes. I have been asked to assist the parents with locating a school that would accomodate his needs. He is also 9 years old and going to the 4th grade.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:13 AM

828 posts, read 1,496,137 times
I would advice doing your research through SPAN:
SPAN Information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey