Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2010, 06:56 PM

332 posts, read 990,726 times

Advertisements

So my brother-in-law pulled into our driveway, walked in and said "Ummm...there's a hot air balloon hovering over your house..." We told him that it happens all the time, because this time of year it does-Hunterdon County is the hot air ballooning capital of New Jersey and it's not at all uncommon to see them floating around on a summer night. This time though we went outside and saw it sitting literally over my neighbor's house-then I saw a Suburban pulling an enclosed trailer fly by-I figured it had to be a chase vehicle. The next thing we knew it was getting lower and lower. The whole neighborhood crowded into the backyard while the basket touched down. I never thought they could land in such a small space, but they sure did. It was a couple celebrating their second anniversary-they had planned to land in a large field on the other side of Route 31, but there just wasn't enough wind, so they looked for a yard with the least amount of trees. My neighbors were happy because they got a bottle of champagne (apparently they always carry one with them and present it to a property owner if they land somewhere unexpected)-it was pretty neat. Here are some pics:

Touchdown

My BIL standing next to the envelope

Deflated

The basket

All rolled up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 07:41 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times
Very cool. I have always wanted to go up in one of those balloons

Old 08-08-2010, 08:20 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,052,594 times
Great pictures Deere!

We've seen the balloons in Hunterdon, they are a beautiful sight.

I was in my yard one afternoon (in Mercer Co.), heard a weird whooshing sound, glanced over and saw a balloon about 40 feet off the ground between my house and my neighbours. They were so close and low I thought there was no way they could get that thing up fast enough to clear our 60 foot back yard trees.

Ran into the house to get my camera and by the time I got back out they were well on their way! I was amazed at their ability to rise so quickly and maneuver their way through the trees.

Thank you for posting the pics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey