Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 09:39 AM

69 posts, read 336,092 times

Advertisements

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T1178.pdf

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0186.pdf

NJ transit had this clocked at 5 minutes with like 4 different buses (181/188 too), between 7:30 - 8:00. Is this within the realm of reality? I don't mind if it takes 10 minutes or even 15 minutes as long as it is somewhat consistent.

This is huge for us because we love Fort Lee but 156/158 buses are not that great. GWB -> A train is a lot more appealing to us with most of the trip being underground, less likely to be affected by traffic. What is the average time it takes to cross the bridge from Fort Lee to Manhattan in the morning, assuming you are taking the bus at the last NJ stop? How often is it actually 5-10 minutes?

Last edited by hitmantb; 08-09-2010 at 10:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 10:20 AM

86 posts, read 289,720 times
It's very realistic if you get on the bus right at the bridge in Fort Lee for you to cross in 10 minutes around that time. I get on in Englewood at Jones Road and on average it takes me 15-20 minutes everyday. I get on the bus around 8am. It's better around 7:30am.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:52 AM

180 posts, read 604,265 times
its roughly 10 minutes to cross just the bridge. Crossing the I80 east or local roads up to the bridge and the cross bronx can be anywhere from 30min-1 hour wait. And you better hope there isnt an accident!

Old 08-10-2010, 07:23 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,104 times
I live in Edgewater and I can tell you that its misleading because it's two part story.

Part 1: Time to cross
Yes it does not take long to cross the bridge itself but gotta get to bridge first right.

Part 2: To get to bridge
This is where it sucks up all the time. Bottleneck at toll, accident, all the cars jamming to get to bridge, blah blah.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:33 AM

69 posts, read 336,092 times
So assuming I take the bus from the last stop before bridge crossing, Bridge Plaza. How long (on average) does it take me to actually get to the A train?

I will try it I guess, but I really really hope NJMom2Tyler is right!

Old 08-11-2010, 08:14 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmantb View Post
So assuming I take the bus from the last stop before bridge crossing, Bridge Plaza. How long (on average) does it take me to actually get to the A train?

I will try it I guess, but I really really hope NJMom2Tyler is right!
The train station is under the bus terminal so you don't have to go outside (very nice in the winter). It is a bit of a hike though - you have to go down two levels, walk through a winding tunnel and then down again to the actual platform. Figure maybe 10 minutes at most if everyone keeps moving. There a lot of people going to/from those trains in the morning/evening. I did the commute in reverse for several years and I was always battling against the tide

Old 08-11-2010, 01:33 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,104 times
Now you are talking about taking the bus from Fort Lee to port authority terminal in NYC and then going downstairs to take the A train. Even from Fort Lee, I'll say at least 40-60 min. Crossing bridge isn't that big of deal, it's the rush hour traffic that bus will need to wade through.

Honestly if you want the most reliable then I recommend NJ Path. We had a bad winter storms past year and number of times ferry and bus service was shut down while Path was still open.

Fastest way to city is the ferry though but it is also the most expensive and least flexible in hours it's available at. If I worked in NYC, I'd pick NJ path as my choice...if not at least the light rail station to take the Path. Just because it's reliable and Path is cheaper than bus pass...

Old 08-11-2010, 07:56 PM

86 posts, read 289,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
Now you are talking about taking the bus from Fort Lee to port authority terminal in NYC and then going downstairs to take the A train. Even from Fort Lee, I'll say at least 40-60 min. Crossing bridge isn't that big of deal, it's the rush hour traffic that bus will need to wade through.

Honestly if you want the most reliable then I recommend NJ Path. We had a bad winter storms past year and number of times ferry and bus service was shut down while Path was still open.

Fastest way to city is the ferry though but it is also the most expensive and least flexible in hours it's available at. If I worked in NYC, I'd pick NJ path as my choice...if not at least the light rail station to take the Path. Just because it's reliable and Path is cheaper than bus pass...
No, I think he means the A train at the GWB bus terminal.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:01 PM

286 posts, read 851,207 times
It's about 10-15 minutes depending on traffic from Bridge Plaza to the GWB terminal where A train is. Sometimes it's 5 minutes if there is no traffic but there is always traffic during rush hour.

I live in Fort Lee and for 8 months worked in NYC at a contract job near Grand Central so I took the bus across the bridge every day to the A train.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,731 times
which bus exactly is it? - I want to find out where else in Ft Lee does it stop besides Bridge Plaza
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey