Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 26,056 times

Advertisements

I am hoping to visit New York City in October for the very first time, but I would rather stay in New Jersey. I have NEVER been to either place, so I need tons of help!

Where is a good place to stay in New Jersey, city and hotel? What is the best way to travel from this place in to New York City? I am clueless about it all...so any advice would be great!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 03:37 PM

381 posts, read 1,305,045 times
Why NJ? What do you want to be near?

There's a Sheraton in lower Weehawken (a town right across the river from Manhattan) right next to the ferry terminal. It's the prettiest way to get to Manhattan and there's free shuttle bus service from the Man. waterfront to central points. But the ferry is the most expensive form of public transportation too - something like $7 each way. There's a little mall near the hotel with shops and places to eat. It's also about a 20-min. walk or quick taxi or light rail ride to Hoboken where there are lots of restaurants and shops. Once you're in Hoboken you can take the PATH train to Manhattan for a couple bucks.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:43 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,639,429 times
How much do you want to spend? If money is no object stay in Hoboken at The W. Tons of bars, restaurants,easiest access into Manhattan plus amazing views from your room and the waterfront is at your doorstep. It will take you 15 minutes to get into Manhattan and you can take the Ferry, Bus or Subway(PATH). 2 of those 3 options run all night.

The Sheraton Suites in Weehawken is another great option. Amazing views, not much around the hotel other than Chart House Restaurant and Houlihans. but easy access to bus and ferry to NYC.you can also take a quick cab to Hoboken from there.

If you want to go on the cheap I would recommend the East Rutherford Area( This is right by Giants Stadium). Most rooms will be in the $100-$160/nt range and you can hop a bus to Manhattan and be there in 25 minutes. There is not much to do in right around the hotels but you can take a cab to dowtown Rutherford and there are amazing restaurants.

If you have other more specific questions please post some more information.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:22 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,753,666 times
If you are visiting NYC only, then check expedia or hotels.com for an inexpensive hotel in Manhattan - just read the reviews (check tripadvisor.com also for reviews) to make sure it's decent and you'll be better off. Staying in NJ, for a tourist, isn't such a great option because getting in and out of the city has gotten more expensive and the traffic can really delay you and cut into your vacation time.

If you stay in NJ the best option (as the others mentioned) is the Sheraton in Lincoln Harbor in Weehawken. The ferry is right there, it's about $7 each way, but keep in mind the last one back is around midnight. From that hotel you can walk to the ferry - one terminal is right there, the other one is a good 15-minute walk away (there may be a free shuttle you can take).

If you want to stay in NJ because you are on a budget and/or because you want to see NJ also, then check out the Meadowlands area and the Harmon Meadows complex in Secaucus. Both have various levels of hotels, from nicer Sheratons and Hiltons to less expensive hotels like the Hyatt Place, Hampton Inn, Fairfield Inn, Holiday Inn, etc. From these, though, you need to check the NJ Transit bus schedules and not miss your bus back from the city - also bear in mind that your trips in and out can be as much as an hour or more if traffic is very bad (if not then it's only about 15-20 minutes).

Old 08-09-2010, 08:53 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,332,213 times
If you're looking for a budget option (100-200/night) look at the hotels in Jersey City in the Pavonia/Newport area. There's a Double Tree, a Courtyard, and I think a Westin (bit pricier). The W in Hoboken is a nice option too. Both of these are close to PATH trains to the city that are very cheap and quick.

The Sheraton is kinda far from stuff, but it's pretty and the ferry right is nice but it runs on an odd schedule catering to business commuters really (UBS is right there).

East Rutherford isn't bad, but I think you'd enjoy the Jersey City hotels better for probably about the same price.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:13 PM

747 posts, read 2,745,205 times
What's your budget?

Old 08-09-2010, 10:17 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,751,821 times
Jersey City , Hoboken and Weehawken all have Hotels on the Transit Network that feeds into NYC. Secaucus , East Rutherford , and are alittle off and take more time to get into the city.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:07 AM

194 posts, read 620,635 times
Is there a specific reason you want to stay in NJ? Seeing as you don't know either place, I find this a little confusing.

If you plan on spending most of your time in NYC, then staying in NJ would be - in my opinion - a mistake. The time you will spend commuting back and forth from hotel to the city would be considerable - especially if you don't want to stay in the city the entire day (from morning plans to dinner to evening entertainment) without being able to go back to the hotel and relax, shower, change, etc.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:18 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,038,674 times
You probably want to stay somewhere near a PATH stop. Check out Hoboken and Jersey City.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:24 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,751,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirimini View Post
Is there a specific reason you want to stay in NJ? Seeing as you don't know either place, I find this a little confusing.

If you plan on spending most of your time in NYC, then staying in NJ would be - in my opinion - a mistake. The time you will spend commuting back and forth from hotel to the city would be considerable - especially if you don't want to stay in the city the entire day (from morning plans to dinner to evening entertainment) without being able to go back to the hotel and relax, shower, change, etc.
Its cheaper in Jersey , and its less noisy....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey