Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 08:56 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I'm just curious about how the whining in the OP helps things. If it were my city in trouble or danger, I'd do something about it other than whine on the internet.
indeed , that city needs alot of help but ppl seem to whine complain to much w/o any solutions....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 11:44 AM

341 posts, read 678,572 times
Newark's problems stem from a culture of corruption that started over a century ago. There is a great book that was published in 2009 that explains in detail why Newark has continued to fail decade after decade. The title is "How Newark Became Newark," and was written by Brad R. Tuttle.

I am a lifelong resident of Newark and thought I knew everything there was to know about this city. After reading this book I became more acutely aware of how Newark is a city that has been infected with corruption of the worst kind since the early 1800's. Many people point to the events of July 1967 as the reason that the city is in the shape that it is. The riot did not just happen; it was decades of corruption, injustices, graft, racism, class-warfare, and crooked public servants from the mayor on down to dog catcher that manufactured a city that had no choice but to explode one way or another. The issue of race was just the fuse that burnt the fastest.

Corey Booker cannot save this city in 8 years, nor will anyone else for that matter. If Newark is truly in store for a rebirth it will be in labor for decades.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:45 PM

334 posts, read 731,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dakar View Post
Newark's problems stem from a culture of corruption that started over a century ago. There is a great book that was published in 2009 that explains in detail why Newark has continued to fail decade after decade. The title is "How Newark Became Newark," and was written by Brad R. Tuttle.

I am a lifelong resident of Newark and thought I knew everything there was to know about this city. After reading this book I became more acutely aware of how Newark is a city that has been infected with corruption of the worst kind since the early 1800's. Many people point to the events of July 1967 as the reason that the city is in the shape that it is. The riot did not just happen; it was decades of corruption, injustices, graft, racism, class-warfare, and crooked public servants from the mayor on down to dog catcher that manufactured a city that had no choice but to explode one way or another. The issue of race was just the fuse that burnt the fastest.

Corey Booker cannot save this city in 8 years, nor will anyone else for that matter. If Newark is truly in store for a rebirth it will be in labor for decades.
Well said.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:02 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,513,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dakar View Post

I still read your posts when you do post or find them from a search despite I may have in the past seemed not nice. I think your smart and correct. I respect your view points. You have good balance and judgement. You can think clear and balance sides with back up. Good post and your correct.

A side note looks to me your getting softer in your old age!!! (said in fun)

Old 08-10-2010, 02:55 PM

23,529 posts, read 17,205,480 times
Default A dose of Miracle Grow too little too late

Guess proclaiming Newark a 'sanctuary city' was a bit misleading. Newark is not anyone's idea of a sanctuary.

We need Newark to take its place among the best places in NJ but after more than 3/4 of a century of entrenched Democratic control all it can achieve is a consistent serving of disappointment and frustration. The city has evolved in a culture that will cause delerium tremors of withdrawl if positive change is introduced.

The solution will have to come from within to change the culture of despair and corruption. Pouring endless taxpayer money into politically correct programs directed by social justice intellectuals does nothing but maintain the status quo as a walk thru zoo.

Newark is everybody's frustration.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:12 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Is that right?? Wow, that is shameful. It's completely inappropriate to bring race into an election, and there is no excuse for anybody of any race to declare that their opponent is not (insert race here) enough to be mayor of a town. That is ABSURD. Can you imagine somebody running for mayor in Chatham or Westfield, and saying that their opponent is not white enough to govern the town? Or Fort Lee -- somebody running for mayor and saying that their opponent is not Asian enough to be mayor?

Shame on the people of Newark to elect somebody like that.

Some people are optimistic about a Newark turnaround, but I honestly don't see it happening in this lifetime. Newark has a ton of problems, and in my opinion, does not have the assets that Hoboken and Jersey City leveraged in their renaissances.
I think that Hoboken and Jersey City only location (which is not insignificant) over Newark. Otherwise, I believe Newark already has the 'tools' to turn around, resident perception is what needs to change b/c as you hint, Sharpe should not be revered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Yea i'm starting to Beleave that too , even Paterson and Elizabeth are recovering faster then Newark which is a shame.
Paterson and Elizabeth never reached the bottom Newark did in its worst days.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:31 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,267,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
I think that Hoboken and Jersey City only location (which is not insignificant) over Newark. Otherwise, I believe Newark already has the 'tools' to turn around, resident perception is what needs to change b/c as you hint, Sharpe should not be revered.

Paterson and Elizabeth never reached the bottom Newark did in its worst days.
A big one that you're missing is a usable waterfront.

Another big one is an aesthetically pleasing housing stock/streetscapes. Hoboken and Jersey City have blocks and blocks and blocks of gorgeous historic brownstones. "Gentrifiers" and "urban pioneers", which let's all admit Newark needs, are attracted to housing stock like that, and Newark has very little of it.

I really root for Newark, honestly. But I'm willing to bet that on the day that I die, Newark will still be a dump. And that makes me sad.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:42 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
A big one that you're missing is a usable waterfront.

Another big one is an aesthetically pleasing housing stock/streetscapes. Hoboken and Jersey City have blocks and blocks and blocks of gorgeous historic brownstones. "Gentrifiers" and "urban pioneers", which let's all admit Newark needs, are attracted to housing stock like that, and Newark has very little of it.

I really root for Newark, honestly. But I'm willing to bet that on the day that I die, Newark will still be a dump. And that makes me sad.
Sure, but brownstones (historic or otherwise) are not the decisive measure between a good Newark and a bad one. With that said, Newark has plenty of neighborhoods with more than satisfactory housing-stock (non-Bayonne box) in Forest Hills, Weeq, Vails, LincPark

Additionally, I'm not clear on 'usable waterfront'. In what regard? Newark could certainly use its waterfront...it just doesn't the way it should/could.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:18 PM

20,318 posts, read 19,905,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I'm just curious about how the whining in the OP helps things. If it were my city in trouble or danger, I'd do something about it other than whine on the internet.
Why assume the OP'er leaves it at the internet?

The internet is great place to exchange thoughts and opinions about a wide variety of topics with a wide range of people.

Even those who like to whine about other posters take advantage of their IP connection in order to do so.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:22 PM

20,318 posts, read 19,905,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
Here's your future mayor newark (no seriously) the son of convicted felon Sharpe James:
With that shirt it looks like Sharpe JR is trying to appeal to the gangstah constituency.

Pretty low class if not downright pathetic.

Just what Newark needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey