U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 04:44 PM

374 posts, read 486,453 times

Advertisements

Cory Booker is done with Newark as now he realizes he can't fix Newark as he announced he won't be up for relection.

"Making it then known in early July that he would not run again for mayor, was a major blunder, according to political analysts."

Newark's budget woes, MUA failure cause swift deterioration of relationship between Booker, council | NJ.com

The truth is Newark is financially ruined unless someone bails them out which isnt going to happen in this economy. Newark has to layoff close to 1,300 in order to regain balance. But who in Newark has the political will to conquer an obviously bloated bureaucracy? No one...not just Booker, the council as well including the newbies in Who Say II and Shariff.

Put it this way, with JC's 2,500 municipal employees they also have a STRONG upper-class and financial sector and very strong commercial arteries. In other words, their government is sustainable. Our's isn't. The time to seek balance is now.

What was also interesting about this article was the fact that Booker ruins his own credibility by constantly changing his message on the deficit and the potential tax raise. Payne makes a point that the tax hike went from 37% to 25% to 20% and if he hangs on it might be down to 17%. J. Sharpe made that point two weeks ago when he noted that Booker's structural deficit went from 70 million to 180M to 110M to 100M and who knows what else.

But again, I just want to get back on message. This isn't just bad politics this is POOR PUBLIC POLICY. There is a difference. The MUA doesn't solve either problem - which are Newark's broken government and water system. BTW, the article next to it that talked more about the policy was also just as troubling for Booker.

Finally, it's time to re-engage the big picture for a sustainable future. And the following metrics should be worked on over the next 15 years.

1) Gain more than 30,000 residents in families with incomes greater than $100G

2) Off load at least 30,000 in low-income residents

3) Add 20,000 to 30,000 jobs in all ranges

4) Destroy and rebuild all grossly underperforming commercial arteries.

5) Knock of Macy's (and the adjacent blocks on both sides) and re-build the downtown district

To bad none of this will happen as thugs run the city council and block any attempts at reform or fixing the problems. With Booker gone the James cronies will be back and Newark will be back to the crapper like before. The next candidate John James runs around with a "Booker is a snitch" shirt but at the same time has no ideas on how to fix the problems of Newark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 06:01 PM

2,669 posts, read 3,673,155 times
Perhaps it needs to happen. Let them bleed themselves out until they realize they're gonna have to come off the status quo.

I believe the Mulberry St Prom was the best attempt to stabilize the middle-class and that was shot down by the residents.

The thugs and crime can be dealt w/, but when the gov. can't come to terms then everything else doesn't matter.

I believe the colleges should snatch and expand the University Heights to encompass the surrounding areas (including already reclaimed Society Hill/Vets park)

Old 08-09-2010, 07:26 PM

377 posts, read 754,560 times
I used to watch the Wire on HBO when it was on, Great show. It was about Baltimore basically a big version of Newark it was about the thugs, cops and government. Lots of similarities to Newark. Basically, it just never got fixed, thats how Newark is. Unfortunately, I do not see how Newark will ever be nice again, Booker is a good guy but this is a job that he cannot win at it.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:58 PM

12,344 posts, read 13,942,640 times
Christie should take over Newark. They need to repeal that blighted ruling by a Judge. So the City can seize up properties.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:59 PM

Here's your future mayor newark (no seriously) the son of convicted felon Sharpe James:

Old 08-09-2010, 08:02 PM

12,344 posts, read 13,942,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
Here's your future mayor newark (no seriously) :

I doubt he will win , that would bring out the smart voters. I think there are laws that prevent ppl with records running for mayor anyway.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:41 PM

293 posts, read 333,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
Here's your future mayor newark (no seriously) the son of convicted felon Sharpe James:

His t-shirt is tasteless. This plays on many minorities' distrust of police and other authority figures. What message does this send to children? That you shouldn't be held accountable for your wrongdoings, especially if you are in a position of leadership and power? It's better for someone to turn a blind eye rather than to do the right thing. This is part of the ass-backward thinking of the younger generation (and all too many times the urban code of the street).

Old 08-09-2010, 08:54 PM

377 posts, read 754,560 times
When James beat booker the first time he claimed booker was not "Black Enough" "Newark Enough" and won. I guarntee many Newark residents would take sharpe james back over booker, it is sick but true. That t-shirt just proves those points.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:01 PM

He has no shame:
YouTube - ‪News12 Interview with John Sharpe James‬‎

Trust me, he is the next mayor and down the tubes we will go

Old 08-09-2010, 09:03 PM

2,249 posts, read 3,804,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
When James beat booker the first time he claimed booker was not "Black Enough" "Newark Enough" and won. I guarntee many Newark residents would take sharpe james back over booker, it is sick but true. That t-shirt just proves those points.
Yup agreed...I just hope the next mayor can keep some momentum and keep building up the nice areas of Newark. The worst case would be a deadbeat corrupt mayor and letting any sign of a recovery in the city go to complete waste and get run down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey