U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-08-2007, 09:00 PM
 
769 posts, read 2,397,576 times
Reputation: 635

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty nj View Post
No one has mentioned the cancer cluster in Toms River. Here is two of many links for the ground water pollution. All you need to do is google Toms River cancer cluster and most of the info you will definetly want to read will be there. Lieff Cabraser: Toms River Childhood Cancer Cluster Case Dover Township I love living in this area, I live in Brick which border's Toms River, I live near the Silverton section of Toms River. Homes are a real bargain here now. I'm selling a beautiful 4 bedroom house on a corner property down the street from the bay with a 2 car garage for way under $350k. You could also get a really nice ranch home here for around $300-325 also. The same house's have been for sale now over a year. And they are nice house's. This area is definetly worth the look. Just be sure to read up on the Toms River water problem.
There has not been any childhood cancer case that can be considered more that what should be expected for a town the size of Toms River in about 12 years. Which is around the same time they closed down the source believed resposible (ciba gigy). We also have a great watchdog commity watching over the whole situation. They have a few meetings a year and are doing a magnificent job. They truly deserve to be thanked.

I'm just a little suprised that while patty nj was touting Brick and plugging her own home she's trying to sell she skipped over mentioning the autism situation in Brick......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2007, 10:02 AM
 
741 posts, read 3,206,895 times
Reputation: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
There has not been any childhood cancer case that can be considered more that what should be expected for a town the size of Toms River in about 12 years. Which is around the same time they closed down the source believed resposible (ciba gigy). We also have a great watchdog commity watching over the whole situation. They have a few meetings a year and are doing a magnificent job. They truly deserve to be thanked.

I'm just a little suprised that while patty nj was touting Brick and plugging her own home she's trying to sell she skipped over mentioning the autism situation in Brick......
Excuse me, There is still an ongoing cancer cluster in Toms river. Certain parts more then others.I have not once ever even posted my listing on this site. I am informing those who do not live in this area about the major concern about brain, spine, eye, and every other weird cancer still popping up in certain area's of toms river.

As for an exceptionally high rate of Autism in Brick, Well I really don't know about that. There are kids with Autism here and as a matter of fact Stone, My own son was tested for it also. My son has been in special education in Brick since he is 3 yrs. old. I have been in the special education classrooms for years. Autism isn't a death sentence, Brain cancer is.

Point is, research what area in Tom's River you will be buying a home in. Like I said, Certain area's are wose then others. All anyone has to do is google Toms River cancer cluster and the info is there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2007, 10:39 AM
 
769 posts, read 2,397,576 times
Reputation: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty nj View Post
Excuse me, There is still an ongoing cancer cluster in Toms river. Certain parts more then others.I have not once ever even posted my listing on this site. I am informing those who do not live in this area about the major concern about brain, spine, eye, and every other weird cancer still popping up in certain area's of toms river.

As for an exceptionally high rate of Autism in Brick, Well I really don't know about that. There are kids with Autism here and as a matter of fact Stone, My own son was tested for it also. My son has been in special education in Brick since he is 3 yrs. old. I have been in the special education classrooms for years. Autism isn't a death sentence, Brain cancer is.

Point is, research what area in Tom's River you will be buying a home in. Like I said, Certain area's are wose then others. All anyone has to do is google Toms River cancer cluster and the info is there.
Patty, there is no statistical data available from the year 2001 to the present. They are working on those studies now.

Can you provide a link that backs your claim that states there is a ongoing cancer cluster in Toms River? Please feel free to look at the Dover township link you provided on the previous page and you will find the latest available data is from the years 1996 thru 2000. You stated "certain parts more than others" thats pretty vague, can you be more specific?

If you can provide proof that there is a current cancer cluster in Toms River I will apologize to you. And I will also thank you being I'm a resident of Toms River. If you do not find proof will you please stop making these irresponsible alarmist statements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2007, 07:09 PM
 
741 posts, read 3,206,895 times
Reputation: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
Patty, there is no statistical data available from the year 2001 to the present. They are working on those studies now.

Can you provide a link that backs your claim that states there is a ongoing cancer cluster in Toms River? Please feel free to look at the Dover township link you provided on the previous page and you will find the latest available data is from the years 1996 thru 2000. You stated "certain parts more than others" thats pretty vague, can you be more specific?

If you can provide proof that there is a current cancer cluster in Toms River I will apologize to you. And I will also thank you being I'm a resident of Toms River. If you do not find proof will you please stop making these irresponsible alarmist statements?
Wow. You want to fight? About the cancer in Toms River? My cousins daughter just died of Brain cancer and she was in the East Section of Toms River. This obviously is a very sore subject for me and my family. It's not fun or funny it seems everyone but you knows about the problem in Toms River. I absolutely don't need an apology from you. Would you like me to have my cousin and her husband respond also? Believe me they have a lot to say. I would appreciate you not responding to my posts. I think your afraid of property values plummeting even wose then they are now if oohh someone mentions that little beautiful children are dying of weird cancer in Toms River because of their contaminated water wells. Now leave me alone.

Also,The state has found recently, that the chemicals stored under the ground that they thought were contained in some kind of protected barrior is now disendegrating and those chemicals are now also seeping into the ground. This almost alway's make the front page of the Asbury Park Press.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2007, 09:15 PM
 
769 posts, read 2,397,576 times
Reputation: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty nj View Post
Wow. You want to fight? About the cancer in Toms River? My cousins daughter just died of Brain cancer and she was in the East Section of Toms River. This obviously is a very sore subject for me and my family. It's not fun or funny it seems everyone but you knows about the problem in Toms River. I absolutely don't need an apology from you. Would you like me to have my cousin and her husband respond also? Believe me they have a lot to say. I would appreciate you not responding to my posts. I think your afraid of property values plummeting even wose then they are now if oohh someone mentions that little beautiful children are dying of weird cancer in Toms River because of their contaminated water wells. Now leave me alone.

Also,The state has found recently, that the chemicals stored under the ground that they thought were contained in some kind of protected barrior is now disendegrating and those chemicals are now also seeping into the ground. This almost alway's make the front page of the Asbury Park Press.
Patty, I don't want to fight. All I want is you to prove your statement "there is an ongoing cancer cluster in Tom River" is true. Can you produce any proof? Like I stated before please provide current data. Anything from 2001 to the present would be great.

I feel very bad for your cousins Daughter. My heart goes out to your whole family. Did your cousin attended the Childhood cancer commity meetings at 33 Washington ave? If they did they may know me. I've attended almost all of them for the last five years. I will certainly be looking into this.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but little beautiful children are dying cancer all over the world. Not just in Tom River. As far as contaminated water wells Toms River has some of the most highy scrutinized tested water in the country. If not the world.

I say this to you Patty not to win an debate. I say this to you because when you say the things that you have said you scare a lot of people. I hope you realize that. They either deserve proof that your statements are true or they deserve an apology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2007, 06:27 AM
 
741 posts, read 3,206,895 times
Reputation: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
Patty, I don't want to fight. All I want is you to prove your statement "there is an ongoing cancer cluster in Tom River" is true. Can you produce any proof? Like I stated before please provide current data. Anything from 2001 to the present would be great.

I feel very bad for your cousins Daughter. My heart goes out to your whole family. Did your cousin attended the Childhood cancer commity meetings at 33 Washington ave? If they did they may know me. I've attended almost all of them for the last five years. I will certainly be looking into this.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but little beautiful children are dying cancer all over the world. Not just in Tom River. As far as contaminated water wells Toms River has some of the most highy scrutinized tested water in the country. If not the world.

I say this to you Patty not to win an debate. I say this to you because when you say the things that you have said you scare a lot of people. I hope you realize that. They either deserve proof that your statements are true or they deserve an apology.
They should be scared. You are trolling for trouble here. I have read a few of your other posts and you are looking to debate on all subjects so it seems.

Today's Asbury Park Press in the local section has another article on this topic today. APP.COM - Toms River cancer rate study to start in fall | Asbury Park Press Online You act as though I making this up. I'm sure any pregnant mother and those who wish to become pregnant thinking of buying a house in the Cancer Cluster area of Toms River would absolutely want to know what you want to keep quiet.

Now enough.

I do want to add that Toms River North has some of the best elementary schools, Also, Silver Bay elementary school is also one of the best. The Silverton section and the surrounding area so far has seen no problem with the kids coming down with weird, rare cancer. I like Toms River, I'm in no way bashing Toms River, all my doctors and lawyers office's are all in Toms River. I just wouldn't live in the "Cancer Cluster" area of Toms River. Now please, find someone else to aggravate.

Last edited by FL little foot; 07-10-2007 at 07:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2007, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Toms River, NJ
38 posts, read 240,331 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Hi,

Can anybody tell me if all of Toms River is a good place to raise a family? And what do single family homes average in price? Like a 3-4 bed 2 bath with a basement.

Also what do the property taxes average in that area? Or even areas within 20 mins from there, yet safe good areas to raise a family.
I bought a house in Toms River (zip code 08753) in August, 2005. (Moved here from Central NJ). We love it here...for the most part.

Although it is a huge town, it is also a fairly quiet town; at least in this neighborhood, it is. I can walk my dog at 9 pm, and not hear a thing other then his paws hitting the pavement.

The traffic really isn't as bad as I thought it would be when we moved here; some of the main roads in town CAN get very crowded during the rush hours, but that is true of just about any town. I am not going to say that traffic doesn't exist - it most definitely does. But if you go shopping at 7 pm, you don't have to worry about traffic. If you go at 10 am, you don't have to worry about traffic; if you are desperate for a glass of milk at 4:45 pm, you may hit some traffic

I have heard that South Toms River is the least desirable of the area; and the home prices probably reflect that. But this doesn't mean the entire South area is bad. This town is just filled with a bunch of neighborhoods. I've lived here for two years and probably haven't seen half of the town yet.

I can honestly say that I haven't experienced ONE issue with teenagers in Toms River - they seem very well behaved. When the worst thing I can report about kids is that they sometimes throw wrappers and what not on my lawn, that's pretty good Since I live on a corner property not far from a WaWa, I kind of just accept that sometimes my lawn is a convenient garbage can. Oh well. I think this town is probably a great one for raising a family, though I am not yet raising one of my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2007, 09:00 AM
 
769 posts, read 2,397,576 times
Reputation: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty nj View Post
They should be scared. You are trolling for trouble here. I have read a few of your other posts and you are looking to debate on all subjects so it seems.

Today's Asbury Park Press in the local section has another article on this topic today. APP.COM - Toms River cancer rate study to start in fall | Asbury Park Press Online You act as though I making this up. I'm sure any pregnant mother and those who wish to become pregnant thinking of buying a house in the Cancer Cluster area of Toms River would absolutely want to know what you want to keep quiet.

Now enough.

I do want to add that Toms River North has some of the best elementary schools, Also, Silver Bay elementary school is also one of the best. The Silverton section and the surrounding area so far has seen no problem with the kids coming down with weird, rare cancer. I like Toms River, I'm in no way bashing Toms River, all my doctors and lawyers office's are all in Toms River. I just wouldn't live in the "Cancer Cluster" area of Toms River. Now please, find someone else to aggravate.
Did you actually read the artical? It says right there, the analysis will BEGIN in the fall and will cover the years 2001 thru 2005. Now do you see why I have a problem with you stating there is an current ongoing cancer cluster. Let the state analyze that data. When all the facts are in then we can discuss the issue.

The difference between me and you is that I will be at that meeting on Oct, 15. I will be there asking real questions and getting real anwsers. I will not come to a conclusion until the study is completed and all the facts are in. You on the other hand are a reckless alarmist. Who, with no proof of a current ongoing cancer cluster is stating it as fact. Do you not realize there maybe parents from Toms River that have read the things you wrote and are losing sleep over it? I think these people deserve facts not opinions.

Your foolish assumptions of me are wrong also. I'm not looking to keep this issue quite. I have discussed this situation with many local Toms River residents and I'm always will to listen and talk to anybody. As long as they present facts.

As for you saying I'm worried about my home's value plummeting. I'd like to tell you that I bought this home in 2001 and can sell it for at least double what I payed for it and maybe more.

As for you saying I'm a troll looking to debate on all subjects. I had one difference of opinion on illegal immigration in another thread, big deal. Again your so wrong its comical. Comical in the way that your using aa old high school debating technique of trying to discredit you opponent. I guess when you have no facts to back up your claims you'll say anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2007, 10:53 PM
 
11 posts, read 66,973 times
Reputation: 12
WOW I cant believe this debate. I too am from Toms River and am very active in the community. Yes many years ago there was the ciba plant that buried all sorts of chemicals and contaminated the well water. So if you used the well water for your consumption before the clean up then you were more vulnerable to get cancer especially those poor children with brain cancer. That was many years ago and since then there was a huge clean up besides the fact that no one uses well water anymore except to wash their cars and water the lawns. Toms River water is under so much scruitiny that if a duck poos too much you'll know about it. I believe that in all overpopulated areas you will find an increase in all sorts of awful diseases but I feel safe and confident that Toms River is no worse than Brick or any other Town in the tristate area. I lived here for some time and my kids go and have gone to St.Joes, Mon Don, OCC and on their way to Rutgers (Yay!!!) and we have loved the schools and staff. My friends kids go to North and several local elementary schools (Cedar Grove *** and the Elementary school in Silverton***) and have had fine educations and go on to great colleges. All schools have drugs its how you raise your kids and how they react to peer pressure. Kids with good upbringing, emotional support and close family ties (not to mention good quality of friends) (gotta stay on top of that!!!) should be just fine. All I can say is that if you really want to know whats going on in your area stay abreast of all the happenings there and definetly attend as many council meets as you can (33 Washington Street)
(They can be quite comical sometimes. I guess its those hummm how should I say it those unique Commitee persons and Township Officials LOL)) and then youll know if Toms River if for you. For me I love my house (which has doubled in the last 3 years) my neighbors, the schools and the many friends I have made here. Good night to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2007, 05:59 AM
 
741 posts, read 3,206,895 times
Reputation: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
Did you actually read the artical? It says right there, the analysis will BEGIN in the fall and will cover the years 2001 thru 2005. Now do you see why I have a problem with you stating there is an current ongoing cancer cluster. Let the state analyze that data. When all the facts are in then we can discuss the issue.

The difference between me and you is that I will be at that meeting on Oct, 15. I will be there asking real questions and getting real anwsers. I will not come to a conclusion until the study is completed and all the facts are in. You on the other hand are a reckless alarmist. Who, with no proof of a current ongoing cancer cluster is stating it as fact. Do you not realize there maybe parents from Toms River that have read the things you wrote and are losing sleep over it? I think these people deserve facts not opinions.

Your foolish assumptions of me are wrong also. I'm not looking to keep this issue quite. I have discussed this situation with many local Toms River residents and I'm always will to listen and talk to anybody. As long as they present facts.

As for you saying I'm worried about my home's value plummeting. I'd like to tell you that I bought this home in 2001 and can sell it for at least double what I payed for it and maybe more.

As for you saying I'm a troll looking to debate on all subjects. I had one difference of opinion on illegal immigration in another thread, big deal. Again your so wrong its comical. Comical in the way that your using aa old high school debating technique of trying to discredit you opponent. I guess when you have no facts to back up your claims you'll say anything.
My cousins child DIED OF BRAIN CANCER! They lived on the EAST SIDE OF TOMS RIVER. Again, Today, FRONT PAGE of the Asbury Park Press APP.COM - N.J. late in airing data on cancer in children | Asbury Park Press Online Let's see it is almost DAILY now that this is again reported in the paper. How about I PM you my address and you can come over here and get rowdy in my face. You are acting like a TROLL. We do Not FEED the TROLLS on this Forum. I'm letting people from out of the COUNTY know what is a problem in TOMS RIVER. And to me, this is a big problem. Whoever want's to live in Toms River, fine, just know there is an ongoing childhood cancer problem here that apparently, they can't seem to stop......

Last edited by FL little foot; 07-13-2007 at 06:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top