Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 07:57 AM

88,273 posts, read 84,241,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
places like alaska have a lot of dark and dreary days. seattle washington style. don't think that doesn't affect people.

the gov't subsidies includes the oil money they get probably right? everyone gets that there!
Hmm. I remember reading an article some years ago about a woman who started a mother's group in an Anchorage neighborhood where most of the people were on welfare. It made me wonder--if you're going to live on welfare, why would you stay in ALASKA where it's cold and dark for half the year? I'd rather be poor in Hawaii or California or Florida or something where at least the sunshine is free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 08:56 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,362,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hmm. I remember reading an article some years ago about a woman who started a mother's group in an Anchorage neighborhood where most of the people were on welfare. It made me wonder--if you're going to live on welfare, why would you stay in ALASKA where it's cold and dark for half the year? I'd rather be poor in Hawaii or California or Florida or something where at least the sunshine is free.
wouldn't it be nice if you could save enough welfare checks to get to hawaii? lol.

i lived in hoboken for a few years, spent many nights in NYC for dinner and/or drinks. but when i went on my honeymoon to hawaii, i was amazed at the prices out there. Everything is insanely expensive!

but yeah - why be poor in NYC in the winter when you could migrate down to florida.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:36 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,740,191 times
Alaska is only dark for "6 months out of the year" above the arctice circle. Otherwise they just ahve longer or shorter days and night but it doesnt stay dark 24 hours a day anywhere but in the most northern regions.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:46 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,362,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
Alaska is only dark for "6 months out of the year" above the arctice circle. Otherwise they just ahve longer or shorter days and night but it doesnt stay dark 24 hours a day anywhere but in the most northern regions.
if the places with shorter days are very short though. i get depressed enough in the winter here, and i don't mind cold weather!

it's been studied time and time again, the dark and gloomy days of winter affect people's moods.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:11 PM

9,354 posts, read 20,724,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
if the places with shorter days are very short though. i get depressed enough in the winter here, and i don't mind cold weather!

it's been studied time and time again, the dark and gloomy days of winter affect people's moods.
It no doubt affected me when I lived in New Jersey.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:40 PM

390 posts, read 1,507,981 times
I believe the NE has better than average access to mental health care. Early detection and diagnosis in children and teenagers is essential. And generally mental illness is better understood. Not stigmatized.

Perhaps, people too are more aptly to have insurance coverage removing that obstacle for care.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:44 AM

22 posts, read 29,888 times
Majority of Jerseyans who have lived in other parts of the United States for any "extended" period of time quickly realize that the state of NJ is a great place to live. (Particularly to raise a family )

Study after Study ( both Gov't sponsored & Non-Profits) in the past 35 years have shown that HANDS DOWN, the overall quality of life in the entire Northeast Region & California are ABOVE the rest of the country. Study after Study has shown that " IF YOU TAKE OUT the ISSUE of COST OF LIVING", the Northeast Region & California would have the absolute LOWEST number of people Moving "Out" of State compared to the rest of the nation.

Yes, you can never make everyone happy. Yes, You will always have people who will be unhappy, unsatisfied, stressed about their life & their environment. There is NOTHING any location or any state can do to change that. Whether lack of income, bad marriage, unhappy family life, stressful job, BAD High Crime Inner City Neighborhood- NO STATE or No Environment can change that. ( at least in 95% of cases)

Unfortunately, for some people, blaming their environment, blaming politicians, blaming their church, blaming their schools & their teachers, blaming rising costs, blaming the economy is their EXCUSE, their JUSTIFICATION for their personal Failures in Life. But you will never hear these people BLAME THEMSELVES for their failures in life. Its always somebody's fault before any accountability.

But people should Never Lose sight of the MANY BENEFITS OF LIVING IN New Jersey.

IGNORE POLITICIANS ! ALWAYS REMEMBER, NJ Politicians will ALWAYS HAVE A CONFLICT OF INTEREST! They are always trying to Win your Votes. There are MANY Politicians who Publicly Shout & Scream about HOW BAD NJ is. They scream to voters about how BAD NJ is to live because of How HIGH COST of LIVING. They love to get people all riled up HOW BAD NJ GOV'T IS BECAUSE THEY know that many people get Very Emotional about these issues.

Yes, there is some truth to all of the above. But there is also a pretty large factor of EXAGGERATION, OVERKILL, INTENTIONAL OVERESTIMATION- BY groups who have " Hidden" agendas-particularly groups aligned with politicians & politicial ideology who USE these "NJ HAS GoTTEN SO BAD" claim in order to **** people off, get people angry & emotional.

But in reality, NJ is 200% still BETTER OFF than majority of other states Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow.

Consistent Top 5 BEST Public Schools in Nation year after year, ( # average #2 in 4 of last 10 years)
Consistent Top 10 in LOWEST CRIME in the nation
Consistent Top 5 in Highest Median Household Income
Consistent Top 10 in Most Educated Population with College Degrees
Consistent Top 10 in Most Educated Population with Post Graduate Masters, Phds
Consistent Top 10 in number of Wealthy Net Worth residents,
Consistent Top 10 in LOWEST teen pregnancy in nation
Consistent Top 10 in LOWEST Sexual Abuse of Teens & children
Consistent Top 10 in Lowest Suicide Rates BOTH among Adults & Teenagers
Consistent Top 10 in ACCESS of residents to BOTH emergency & preventive Healthcare

For ALL the Higher Cost of Living people from New Jersey, California, the entire Northeast Region led by Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshere pay to live in these states, etc. - WITHOUT A DOUBT, an Overwhelming majority of Middle class, upper middle class, & the affluent would STAY in these states if MONEY was not an issue.

( There is a reason 90% of all the best Private & Public High Schools in the nation, 90% of All the Private & Public Colleges & Universities, 80% of the Highest Paying Jobs, 70% of All American Millionaires & Billionaires - ALL CALL either the Northeast Region or California as their home.)

And despite all the negativity, NJ is still IN MUCH BETTER shape TODAY than Majority of other states in what ALL Top Economists call the WORSE EVER ECONOMIC RECESSION since the great depression.

Yes, for the average middle class family, NJ is today a pretty expensive place to live. But unless you live in some high crime urban area with terrible public schools, NJ is still a pretty DAMN good State to Live COMPARED to the rest of America.

It certainly may or may not be the best, But NJ surely beats at least 40 other states consistently year after year.

As a CPA & Business Owner, I have lived in very nice parts of Florida, Arizona, and Georgia over the years. But Nothing comes close to living in NJ.

P.S. NJ together with the rest of the Northeast SENDS HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of Dollars to the Federal Government while RECEIVING anywhere from 35 cents to 65 cents back for every dollar.

While all these southern states & several midwestern states received 20%, 30% MORE money from the US Government than what they send in. THAT's the REAL TRAGEDY that many politicians try to AVOID Talking about. ( instead they focus on the High cost of living & massive NJ cuts)

If these " Blue States" dramatically reduced their submission of funds , these Red States across the south & midwest would feel a DRAMATIC LOSS of Help from Uncle Sam.

Yes- The same Red States who MOCK, RIDICULE the High Cost of Living in the Northeast & California are the same states that depend on our revenues for their needs !!!!

Frankly, the same Senators from these states like to attack the High taxes in the Northeast & California because it gets their voters all Excited & Emotiona ( us vs. them speech) , but NEVER ONCE will they ever mention that their respective states GREATLY DEPEND on the Revenues from NJ,NY,MA,CT,CA,ME etc etc. for their needs.

Its all hypocrisy & politics.

NJ is still the best for many of us !

Last edited by mark212cpa; 08-14-2010 at 01:19 AM..

Old 08-14-2010, 01:14 AM

22 posts, read 29,888 times
P.S. Speaking as a CPA, last year there was a so called " Non-Profit Tax Citizens Group" that released their findings to the US Media "Claiming" in their study that -----

'Wealthy Jerseyans were moving out in great numbers due to the growing High Taxes in NJ". It was a media scoop at that time since NJ was in the middle of an election.
But what the mainstream media NEVER gave any spotlight on was the aftermath of the Released Study of this group.

After carefull review of the study released, ALL 3 of the Largest & Only Major New Jersey Organizations of CPA's , Auditors, & Licensed Public Tax Accountants - ALL CONDEMNED the Study in a Joint statement as SKEWED, ERRONEOUS, MISREPRESENTED, & DISTORTED.

In other words, this group created this report for " Political Purposes" without regard to factual numbers.

When in fact ( to cut a long story), the bottom line is, the Lost of Affluent NJ Residents to other locations or states NEVER reach abnormal proportions at any time in the last 10 years. Basically, the number of wealthy NJ residents who live NJ yearly has always been predictable & stable. Most of the wealthy residents who leave are SENIORS who move to weather friendly states like Florida, NC,SC & AZ.

In addition, the slight increase of wealthy residents who left the state in the last 2 years was the SAME PERCENTAGE than those who left during the Deep Recession of 1980-1982.

In other words, there was & has never ever been a mass exodus of wealthy jerseyans fleeing the state in great numbers. ( Friends, as long as NEW YORK CITY remains the FINANCIAL CENTER, the FINANCIAL CAPITAL of the United States & the World- 70% of NJ's Top 3% of Wealthy residents will NOT GO ANYWHERE !!! At the end of the day, almost 3 out of 4 of NJ's Top 6,7, & 8 figure earners DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY DEPEND ON CORPORATIONS OF NEW YORK CITY )

And since NYC is not going anywhere in our lifetime, New Jersey & Connecticut will ALWAYS be a haven of 6,7,8 + figure earners. ( California & Massachusetts are two other states that have the SAME MAGNET of multiple industries, that will ALWAYS KEEP the Wealthy from ever fleeing these states & its neighboring states). And the only other state being, Virginia because of the United States Government being the Number 1 Employer in and around VA.

All the other things you hear from some of our Jersey POLITICIANS who are hitting your "Emotional Hot Buttons" in order to get people Mad, Angry at their political opponents is B.S. ! Its all about getting elected and winning for these people.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:01 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,918,062 times
Great posts Mark212. We spent two years looking around the USA for a state to move to. Couldn't find anything that beats or even matches the living in NJ (or NE).

Old 08-14-2010, 07:52 AM

342 posts, read 716,070 times
I appreciate the information about the wealthy leaving the state Mark212 - always suspected that it was exagerated, but never got around to checking the statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: