U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

New Jersey: college, traffic, cost of living, bankrupts, taxes.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 11:33 AM

185 posts, read 671,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
A-flippin'-men!

I was one of the seemingly millions following the exodus down to North Carolina. It didn't take very long for me to appreciate my home state of New Jersey. We were already thinking of moving down here months prior when my wife's job relocated to Charlotte. When they were offering relo money we hopped on it. The first few weeks were like being on a vacation. You're busy exploring your new state, intentionally getting lost, taking everything in. Once that newness wears off and you get down to living, that's when you find out whether or not it's really for you. Any opinion that's based on "every time I visit" isn't a valid opinion.

Then there was one weekend in February when we flew up for President's weekend and stayed with my folks in Toms River. I was already loving living in Concord, was getting homesick even before we left for Charlotte/Douglas. I was raving about the area to my folks in hopes of getting everyone to move down. The problem came when we were at Newark waiting for our flight. I never felt more "at home" than that weekend and if we could, we would've just flown back for the cat, left everything there and come back to New Jersey for good. Nothing in this world could talk us out of it.

So we'll be back for good before year's end. As for BobKovacs' question "Other than proximity, what does NJ have to offer": aside from family and friends, there's no real answer for it other than "just wait and see". It doesn't take long to realize that there's a whole lot more to life than a really nice house and having your neighbors wave "hi" to you.

And for the record I'll be glad to pay the higher costs and get stuck in GSP traffic all over again if it means getting out of North Carolina. It's more than worth it.
I've been off of this site for awhile and I haven't read through many of the previous posts here, but I get the gist of it and I see that some people are still dissing NJ. Well, I'm finally here in my home state -NJ-and loving it. I'm purchasing a new condo here. I totally agree with you. I moved to GA for 3 years and couldn't wait to get out of there. Beautiful state.....but it has its problems also and I won't get into it about what they are. To each his own and they will eventually see for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 11:43 AM

5,617 posts, read 13,387,287 times
wELCOME HOME!!! At least you lasted 3 years, I moved and we lasted only 4 months! Not in GA but who cares, it did not last long. Glad your back.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:46 AM

185 posts, read 671,698 times
Default Thanks Steve

Really glad to be back! Best to you.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:54 AM

7,962 posts, read 16,769,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Yes. It's known as "Old Forge-style pizza," and it's the worst-tasting garbage I've ever had in my entire life! BLECH! People clog the downtown area of Old Forge every Friday evening to experience that overpriced, bland stuff, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. Even Domino's is better for crying out loud!
Come to New Mexico, if you want to complain about Old Forge style pizza! As I recall, 'Old Forge' is basically the opposite of Neapolitan, right? As in very light and airy dough, as opposed to thin crust? In any event, at least there is an identifiable regional distinctness to it.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:01 PM

267 posts, read 816,492 times
The thing that kills me is that all of these Jersey haters who leave still feel the need to post here. WHY?!? There must be something keeping your mind here? Are you questioning your move?? Do you want to see if others feel the same as you?? If you are so very happy where you are, then why look back??
For most of us, we love our families and couldn't bear to just say "see ya.." "have fun in the nursing home". For many of us, this is home plain and simple. How dare you come back and bash where we live. I'd move somewhere with a more scenic landscape too....IF I could move all of my family, my wife's family, my friends, etc. How is it that everyone can pick up and leave so easily?! Is it me??? For me, that's not happening and life isn't so bad here. Actually, I love that my kids are going to get an A+ education and actually have a little diversity around them.
Just go away and leave us be!!

Old 02-01-2008, 02:09 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,379,389 times
Grab a honey and tell her "Tramps like us baby, we were born to run!"

Old 02-01-2008, 04:07 PM

665 posts, read 1,716,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertigo View Post
The thing that kills me is that all of these Jersey haters who leave still feel the need to post here. WHY?!? There must be something keeping your mind here? Are you questioning your move?? Do you want to see if others feel the same as you?? If you are so very happy where you are, then why look back??
For most of us, we love our families and couldn't bear to just say "see ya.." "have fun in the nursing home". For many of us, this is home plain and simple. How dare you come back and bash where we live. I'd move somewhere with a more scenic landscape too....IF I could move all of my family, my wife's family, my friends, etc. How is it that everyone can pick up and leave so easily?! Is it me??? For me, that's not happening and life isn't so bad here. Actually, I love that my kids are going to get an A+ education and actually have a little diversity around them.
Just go away and leave us be!!
Funny, I thought yes, I am leaving the high taxes of Jersey,well, guess what I miss jersey,shhhh, dont tell anyone here in the south that. The peolpe are very nice, but I miss things I NEVER thought I would! The beach,the boardwalk!I would never be able to afford to come back to the shore area
so I will just look at pictures and hope you dont mind I read your posts...
I do have beautiful mnts, and farms, but still miss NJ ...

Old 02-01-2008, 07:10 PM

274 posts, read 398,477 times
Default I miss NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitarah View Post
I used to hate NJ. I wanted to go to Cali or Portland. My dad has land in NC -- we were thinking Charlotte, too.

I still dream about Cali because I have friends there, but now I love NJ. This is why:

Yesterday, I woke up and went to Newark's Branch Brook Park for a Whole Food's farmers market. I got eggplant, cucumber, 2 ears of corn, squash, and some other stuff for $4 -- all local, all in this humongous, green park in the middle of a hot, ugly city.

Then I went up Bloomfield avenue into Montclair, with its trendy restaurants and movie theatre, stopped at Whole Foods, then returned to Rutherford, with its big houses and beautiful trees. We got our stuff together and took off.

In an hour, I was at Lakota Wolf Preserve in Columbia. I went from the NY Skyline behind me to trees and mountains all around me. We watch 20+ wolves and bobcats frolic for the next 2 hours. Afterwards, I stopped at Rockaway mall and some scenic overlooks and saw the same picturesque farmland as I did on Skyline Drive in Virginia, except I didn't drive 6 hours for them.

Tonight, I went to the State Fair at Giant Stadium. The food, the rides, the smells and the energy of the boardwalk, except instead of the ocean spread out below me, it was New York in the distance. I'm there in 30 minutes every day.

There is no train station to walk to in North Carolina. There is no beautiful autumn in Florida. In NJ, I get mountains, I get cities, I get produce, I can walk the streets of New York or the Kittatinny ridge, step on a gnarled sidewalk with yard sales or step on a rattlesnake in Stokes (and I almost did). It's all here. Try to get pizza in some parts of PA -- they'll ask if you want a tray of red and deliver some square monstrosity with American cheese on it. (what the heck?) It's quaint to visit, but not to live.
Thank you for stating what I feel - even after 26 years of living here (Colorado) - I miss the NJ you described. I miss my family more than anything - and no amount of beautiful scenery or beautiful weather will change the fact that I can't see them. The one time (and last for me) that I came out for a visit in 2000 - I was amazed at the green - the state is covered in green! And I miss the flowers in early spring - and I miss hopping on a bus to go to NYC - and I miss hopping on a train to go 'down' the shore - and I miss NJ PIZZA - done the right way - and I miss seeing people that I went to school with - and I miss the 'old' buildings and small mom and pop stores and I miss having almost everything within walking distance - and I miss feeling like I belong to something - for those who want to live in the wide open spaces - when you need help there might not be anybody there to help you. I'm too old to go back - but if I could afford it and was younger I would in a split second ....

Old 02-01-2008, 07:21 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,120,034 times
Default Poconos are very good to get away

but to live there has its own problems. I grew up (not in the Poconos) but in a very rural area with not a whole lot going on except, hunting, camping, skiing (about 1 hour away) & did I mention hunting? If you weren't into the outdoors or killing something you were SOL from an activity standpoint & while as a teenager we enjoyed looking at the landscape - I don't think it was for the same reason as older people who vacation there - if YKWIM...In fact drug use due to lack of activities to participate was alot higher then even some of the urban so basically my point is if you have the money to buy a place there as a vacation spot great- I wouldn't recommend raising my children there and would personally prefer to do that in an area with more diverse activities available for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
Personally I'll take the Jersey shore over the Poconos anyday. You want spend time driving up and down mountians be my guest. I hope your handy with cars cause the mountians put a beating on them. As far as Philly is concerned, why do you feel it is better then anything Jersey has to offer?

Old 02-01-2008, 07:38 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,120,034 times
Default That's funny

when I was driving to NC a couple of years ago I stopped in MD for gas. I sat there & sat there & sat there before I realized duh there wasn't going to be an attendant coming up to my window!!! My first time pumping gas too & it was the middle of the night <eeek>! If my license plate didn't give my state away, that certainly did!

To me the state does have a more comfortable manner of living - there are better retail areas & a higher abundance of places to buy healthier food. Honestly when I was in NC I had a real hard time eating & when I was in the supermarket trying to get something I was shocked (to me) at the disparity between the food I was accustomed to buying & the selection that was available to me. Of course I am a bit of a health food nut & I genuinely dislike the taste of alot of food that people enjoy. Also the school systems tend to be better in states that have a higher COL which is important, imo, if you have children. Access to medical technology also tends to be greater & the culture can be very different in other areas While I am probably considered friendlier then your average stereotypical NJ resident - I am far too fast paced to get by in a slower area... I thought I was going to have an aneurism one time when I was in NC at the slow pace of checking out at the supermarket! It drove me nuts. And aside from the snow, having the other 3 seasons is kind of nice...So in essence there is technically a better quality of life and choices to take advantage of in NJ when it comes to health issues, medicine, food, retail/consumerism, & educational opportunities. That's why I am fairly adamant about not leaving the state myself (unless I had great apt in SoHO to hang for awhile )

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Those are the two reasons everyone spouts off- the food and gas station attendants....lol. If that's all NJ has to offer that other places don't, the state's in bigger trouble than any of us realize......

Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or