Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

New Jersey: college, traffic, cost of living, bankrupts, taxes.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 04:38 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
OK, so if you're not someone who needs proximity to NYC or Philly (and believe it or not, some people don't- heaven forbid), then what does NJ offer that the rest of the east coast doesn't?

Bob
I mean if someone doesn't need proximity then maybe this just ain't the place for them. But you can't tell me that NJ is the same as the entire eastern seaboard. Different states have their respective pros and cons which makes them their state. The thing about NJ is that you could almost find about anything here that you could in other states, but that doesn't make it the same.
-I'm real big on identity, but you can't really exclude proximity because that is arguably the very essence of this state's being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 04:57 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
JERSEY TOMATOES lol

and gas station attendants...lord I HATE pumping my own gas
Those are the two reasons everyone spouts off- the food and gas station attendants....lol. If that's all NJ has to offer that other places don't, the state's in bigger trouble than any of us realize......

Bob

Old 06-30-2007, 07:14 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy272 View Post
Guess your “pulling out of here to win”

I spent the first 20 years of my life trying to get out of Jersey and the last 20 trying to get back in.

Go ahead and see the world have a ball, but mark these words from an older if not wiser stranger. One day you will be some where about to put a pink tasteless tomato in your mouth and you will long for the garden state, you will feel the first hot rush of summer and will wish you were stuck in traffic on the parkway.

The state bore you and laid the grown work for what you will become.

All the best to you.

A-flippin'-men!

I was one of the seemingly millions following the exodus down to North Carolina. It didn't take very long for me to appreciate my home state of New Jersey. We were already thinking of moving down here months prior when my wife's job relocated to Charlotte. When they were offering relo money we hopped on it. The first few weeks were like being on a vacation. You're busy exploring your new state, intentionally getting lost, taking everything in. Once that newness wears off and you get down to living, that's when you find out whether or not it's really for you. Any opinion that's based on "every time I visit" isn't a valid opinion.

Then there was one weekend in February when we flew up for President's weekend and stayed with my folks in Toms River. I was already loving living in Concord, was getting homesick even before we left for Charlotte/Douglas. I was raving about the area to my folks in hopes of getting everyone to move down. The problem came when we were at Newark waiting for our flight. I never felt more "at home" than that weekend and if we could, we would've just flown back for the cat, left everything there and come back to New Jersey for good. Nothing in this world could talk us out of it.

So we'll be back for good before year's end. As for BobKovacs' question "Other than proximity, what does NJ have to offer": aside from family and friends, there's no real answer for it other than "just wait and see". It doesn't take long to realize that there's a whole lot more to life than a really nice house and having your neighbors wave "hi" to you.

And for the record I'll be glad to pay the higher costs and get stuck in GSP traffic all over again if it means getting out of North Carolina. It's more than worth it.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:07 PM

8 posts, read 79,086 times
I used to hate NJ. I wanted to go to Cali or Portland. My dad has land in NC -- we were thinking Charlotte, too.

I still dream about Cali because I have friends there, but now I love NJ. This is why:

Yesterday, I woke up and went to Newark's Branch Brook Park for a Whole Food's farmers market. I got eggplant, cucumber, 2 ears of corn, squash, and some other stuff for $4 -- all local, all in this humongous, green park in the middle of a hot, ugly city.

Then I went up Bloomfield avenue into Montclair, with its trendy restaurants and movie theatre, stopped at Whole Foods, then returned to Rutherford, with its big houses and beautiful trees. We got our stuff together and took off.

In an hour, I was at Lakota Wolf Preserve in Columbia. I went from the NY Skyline behind me to trees and mountains all around me. We watch 20+ wolves and bobcats frolic for the next 2 hours. Afterwards, I stopped at Rockaway mall and some scenic overlooks and saw the same picturesque farmland as I did on Skyline Drive in Virginia, except I didn't drive 6 hours for them.

Tonight, I went to the State Fair at Giant Stadium. The food, the rides, the smells and the energy of the boardwalk, except instead of the ocean spread out below me, it was New York in the distance. I'm there in 30 minutes every day.

There is no train station to walk to in North Carolina. There is no beautiful autumn in Florida. In NJ, I get mountains, I get cities, I get produce, I can walk the streets of New York or the Kittatinny ridge, step on a gnarled sidewalk with yard sales or step on a rattlesnake in Stokes (and I almost did). It's all here. Try to get pizza in some parts of PA -- they'll ask if you want a tray of red and deliver some square monstrosity with American cheese on it. (what the heck?) It's quaint to visit, but not to live.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:06 AM

859 posts, read 3,320,998 times
Everyone who hates New Jersey should stop complaining and just move. Leave more beach chair space at the shore this summer for the rest of us who are from Jersey and proud : )

Old 07-02-2007, 12:23 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
Everyone who hates New Jersey should stop complaining and just move. Leave more beach chair space at the shore this summer for the rest of us who are from Jersey and proud : )
more room means more bennies

Old 07-02-2007, 12:36 PM

13,399 posts, read 28,714,749 times
[quote=sitarah;987056]I used to hate NJ. I wanted to go to Cali or Portland. My dad has land in NC -- we were thinking Charlotte, too.

I still dream about Cali because I have friends there, but now I love NJ. This is why:

Yesterday, I woke up and went to Newark's Branch Brook Park for a Whole Food's farmers market. I got eggplant, cucumber, 2 ears of corn, squash, and some other stuff for $4 -- all local, all in this humongous, green park in the middle of a hot, ugly city.

Then I went up Bloomfield avenue into Montclair, with its trendy restaurants and movie theatre, stopped at Whole Foods, then returned to Rutherford, with its big houses and beautiful trees. We got our stuff together and took off.

In an hour, I was at Lakota Wolf Preserve in Columbia. I went from the NY Skyline behind me to trees and mountains all around me. We watch 20+ wolves and bobcats frolic for the next 2 hours. Afterwards, I stopped at Rockaway mall and some scenic overlooks and saw the same picturesque farmland as I did on Skyline Drive in Virginia, except I didn't drive 6 hours for them.

Tonight, I went to the State Fair at Giant Stadium. The food, the rides, the smells and the energy of the boardwalk, except instead of the ocean spread out below me, it was New York in the distance. I'm there in 30 minutes every day.

There is no train station to walk to in North Carolina. There is no beautiful autumn in Florida. In NJ, I get mountains, I get cities, I get produce, I can walk the streets of New York or the Kittatinny ridge, step on a gnarled sidewalk with yard sales or step on a rattlesnake in Stokes (and I almost did). It's all here. Try to get pizza in some parts of PA -- they'll ask if you want a tray of red and deliver some square monstrosity with American cheese on it. (what the heck?) It's quaint to visit, but not to live.[/QUOTE

You were in Columbia at lakota and didn't go to Johnny's Hot Dogs????

Old 07-02-2007, 03:14 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitarah View Post
Try to get pizza in some parts of PA -- they'll ask if you want a tray of red and deliver some square monstrosity with American cheese on it. (what the heck?) It's quaint to visit, but not to live.
Yes. It's known as "Old Forge-style pizza," and it's the worst-tasting garbage I've ever had in my entire life! BLECH! People clog the downtown area of Old Forge every Friday evening to experience that overpriced, bland stuff, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. Even Domino's is better for crying out loud!

Old 02-01-2008, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,275 times
Default (2_tone) It Ain't All Bad

Look Bro CAMDEN NEW Jersey Ain't All That Bad I Live There. So Who Ever Is Reading This Don't Listen To Them. We Do Have A Bad Rep. We Do Have Alot Of Bad Thing But It Ain't Like U Gonna Get Shot Just Buy Walking Into The City. So Dude Need To Stop B-s In. Once U Go There It Actually A Nice Place Get To Know The People Around You.

Last edited by 2_TONE; 02-01-2008 at 11:32 AM..

Old 02-01-2008, 11:22 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,731,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy272 View Post
Guess your “pulling out of here to win”

I spent the first 20 years of my life trying to get out of Jersey and the last 20 trying to get back in.

Go ahead and see the world have a ball, but mark these words from an older if not wiser stranger. One day you will be some where about to put a pink tasteless tomato in your mouth and you will long for the garden state, you will feel the first hot rush of summer and will wish you were stuck in traffic on the parkway.

The state bore you and laid the grown work for what you will become.

All the best to you.
I left NJ 14 years ago and have never been happier and would never dream of going back. To each there own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey