U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 11:20 AM

429 posts, read 523,479 times

Advertisements

I'm only looking for local retailers that buy books and/or CDs and/or DVDs. I'm in Jersey City, but I don't mind driving a bit . . . I know about the Strand, obviously, but I'd rather not have to drive into Manhattan a bunch of times (primarily because of the tolls, having to pay for parking, etc.), and I don't want to carry boxes and boxes of books on the subway and down Fulton Street.

Who are you aware of that buys used books, CDs and DVDs? And ideally, I'm looking for someone who seems like they know the market--so that they know what an item should be worth and they'll offer a fair price for it. Some of the stuff I'm hoping to sell is fairly rare. I'm hoping to get rid of a lot of stuff quickly, though.

Thanks

Last edited by TheLuckoftheDraw; 08-16-2010 at 12:27 PM..

Old 08-16-2010, 12:37 PM

83 posts, read 116,044 times
At certain times of the year, Barnes and Noble on Rt. 17 buy books (not sure about CD's and DVD's). You can always try Amazon or Ebay.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacks29 View Post
At certain times of the year, Barnes and Noble on Rt. 17 buy books (not sure about CD's and DVD's). You can always try Amazon or Ebay.
I'll contact Barnes & Noble, thanks. Amazon and eBay are not good options, as I need to not take a year to get rid of things, and posting (as in "mailing" especially) that many different items would make it a full-time job. I'm talking about thousands of items. I need to make room, and I don't have a lot of time to do it.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:36 PM

10 posts, read 30,022 times
There's a used book shop in Morristown on James St, off of East Hanover Ave. Right off of 287, near the jail . Really nice place, books only, they're a little stingy with price, but if you're buying they're great.
So try the two used book stores in Madison, one off the main strip and Province St (I think) and the other further in.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahleih View Post
There's a used book shop in Morristown on James St, off of East Hanover Ave. Right off of 287, near the jail . Really nice place, books only, they're a little stingy with price, but if you're buying they're great.
So try the two used book stores in Madison, one off the main strip and Province St (I think) and the other further in.
Thanks for the other suggestions.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:11 PM

173 posts, read 535,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLuckoftheDraw View Post
I'm only looking for local retailers that buy books and/or CDs and/or DVDs. I'm in Jersey City, but I don't mind driving a bit . . . I know about the Strand, obviously, but I'd rather not have to drive into Manhattan a bunch of times (primarily because of the tolls, having to pay for parking, etc.), and I don't want to carry boxes and boxes of books on the subway and down Fulton Street.

Who are you aware of that buys used books, CDs and DVDs? And ideally, I'm looking for someone who seems like they know the market--so that they know what an item should be worth and they'll offer a fair price for it. Some of the stuff I'm hoping to sell is fairly rare. I'm hoping to get rid of a lot of stuff quickly, though.

Thanks
There is a used CD/DVD store in Hoboken on Washington Ave around 3rd street called Tunes. I have never sold anything to them but they sell used CDs and DVDs so I assume they buy.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:12 PM

68 posts, read 171,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahleih View Post

Both of these shops will only take current best sellers and hardcover only. Like you my wife had boxes and boxes of books that she had only read once. All the volumes were in like new condition. She thought like you, let me sell them to a book shop. Well, after borrowing a van, then loading up the boxes of books, trucking everything to Morristown and then Madison; she was disappointed and very annyed when neither place wanted them. She was basically told to throw them away. Ultimately she donated all the books to several local nursing homes, they were thrilled to receive the donation. This is my suggestion to you to avoid the frustration and aggravation of dealing with either business.
Bill

Old 08-18-2010, 07:15 PM

68 posts, read 171,961 times
I forgot to mention, once the books were gone she purchased a Kindle; no more books to store and trip over, all the books are stored on the device itself. What a wonderful invention.
Bill

Old 08-18-2010, 08:47 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,854,070 times
The F.Y.E store at Newport Mall in Jersey City buys used CD's and DVDs, but don't expect to get much for them. CD's are basically worthless these days since most people want their music electronically. I tried to sell CD's a few years ago and they would only pay about 50 cents per disc. For DVDs they might give you a few bucks each depending on how popular the movie is. Oh, and if you choose store credit you will get a bit more money than if you take cash.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:09 AM

4,748 posts, read 9,224,793 times
try Used, New, and Out of Print Books - We Buy and Sell - Powell's Books

Also try paperbackswap.com to get rid of old books (both paperback and hardcover) - you get credits to get other used books on this site, not cash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey