U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-19-2010, 09:14 AM
 
135 posts, read 321,269 times
Reputation: 64

Advertisements

Due to my husband's job relocation, we have been looking for a house in NJ for about 1.5 months now. We'd have to move by the end of the year.

So far, we have not found a house that we can say, this is it! Houses that are possibilities have some imperfections to them, of couse I know nothing is perfect.

I'm getting dejected and stressed as there are not many houses out there and prices are still pretty high, considering the market.

The towns that I like are Berkeley Heights, New Providence, Springfield, but inventory is low and prices are high.

Towns that we would consider: Hanover (Cedar Knolls & Whippany) and East Hanover has lower taxes, which is attractive to us, but they are a little bland for my taste. They are nice residential areas but is strip mall suburbia.

At this juncture, I wonder if I should just bite the bullet and go with Morris County (lower taxes, hence lower housing costs). It's a lifestyle change but it doesn't feel right in my gut.

Anyway, thanks for listening and letting me vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-19-2010, 09:28 AM
 
505 posts, read 1,520,644 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immy View Post
Due to my husband's job relocation, we have been looking for a house in NJ for about 1.5 months now. We'd have to move by the end of the year.

So far, we have not found a house that we can say, this is it! Houses that are possibilities have some imperfections to them, of couse I know nothing is perfect.

I'm getting dejected and stressed as there are not many houses out there and prices are still pretty high, considering the market.

The towns that I like are Berkeley Heights, New Providence, Springfield, but inventory is low and prices are high.

Towns that we would consider: Hanover (Cedar Knolls & Whippany) and East Hanover has lower taxes, which is attractive to us, but they are a little bland for my taste. They are nice residential areas but is strip mall suburbia.

At this juncture, I wonder if I should just bite the bullet and go with Morris County (lower taxes, hence lower housing costs). It's a lifestyle change but it doesn't feel right in my gut.

Anyway, thanks for listening and letting me vent.
How is it a lifestyle change? There are plenty of towns in Morris that aren't strip mall suburbia. Chatham, Madison, Morristown, Denville (nice little downtown).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 09:41 AM
 
135 posts, read 321,269 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguylehigh View Post
How is it a lifestyle change? There are plenty of towns in Morris that aren't strip mall suburbia. Chatham, Madison, Morristown, Denville (nice little downtown).
In Morris County, only Hanover and East Hanover fits our particular criteria (too long to elaborate here and too controversial ). Chatham and Madison are out of our price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 10:20 AM
 
Location: NJ
12,284 posts, read 30,944,500 times
Reputation: 5190
where's work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 10:21 AM
 
3,269 posts, read 8,723,631 times
Reputation: 2003
I don't know what makes you think Morris county has lower taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 10:29 AM
 
135 posts, read 321,269 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
where's work?
Madison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 10:30 AM
 
135 posts, read 321,269 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
I don't know what makes you think Morris county has lower taxes.
Eg Houses in Springfield between 500k-525k has 10-11k in taxes while in Hanover or East Hanover, it's 6-8k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 10:37 AM
 
Location: NJ
12,284 posts, read 30,944,500 times
Reputation: 5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immy View Post
Madison.
well, since i asked that question you posted that your criteria are ones that you don't want to discuss, so towns I mention may not fit so take this with a grain of salt...

morristown, mendham, chester, mount olive, long valley, bedminster, bridgewater, bernardsville. you can find houses in the $500K range (I assume that's your range based on your last post) there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 11:36 AM
 
135 posts, read 321,269 times
Reputation: 64
Morristown could work, we're just not sure about the high school. We want to stay for the long term and not move again until our daughter goes to college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 12:24 PM
 
3,269 posts, read 8,723,631 times
Reputation: 2003
long valley long valley long valley.

I would be wary of the HS in Morristown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top