U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 12:07 PM

8 posts, read 36,731 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm 23 and I currently work near Wall St. in NYC and live in Brick, NJ at home. My girlfriend and I are looking to move to Red Bank, as it is a cool, fun town, plus still not too far from Brick (where our friends and family are), as well as I can catch a bus from the Red Bank train station right to Wall St. which is 2 city blocks from my job.

I found these apartments on Craigslist and even met a realtor to see them, however I am not able to find any information about them online anywhere. Does anyone live in this apartment building or know someone who lives in this building? I am curious as to how safe it is, how nice the people who live there are, how the super is, how the place is kept, etc. Just information on if you enjoy living there, and if not why not?

I need to make a decision within the next few days as to if I will take this apartment or not, so please reply with any information you may have on this building.

Unfortunately I cannot afford a car at this time so my apartment needs to be in walking distance to the Train station, and anything in the downtown area is too expensive, and anything to the west of the train station is not safe... so this place is the only apartment complex, that has a 1 Bedroom in my price range available, that fits the bill.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 09:38 AM

Just as an update, in case anyone else is interested, I have now been living here since Sept. 2010, and it is now June 2011.

We love our apartment here at the Colony House (next to the Molly Pitcher Inn, across the street from Basil T's/Visiting Nurses of Central NJ)... it is an older building, so you have to expect things like the steam heat pipes banging, and the old engine backup generator if needed running, as well as the older cabinets/appliances. But that stuff is not too big of an issue and the maintainence man (Anthony) is great to work with! He really knows his stuff and gets things fixed as soon as possible after you call them in. The building is a lot of older (senior) residents with a few families and young working couples mixed in. So that is one thing to get used to, and the parking isn't the best situation, there's one lot that is too small for the building, and super overpriced ($150/month) garages... aside from that you're on your own (Parking in the VNA lot or on the street when possible).

All in all, I'd recommend it, especially for the price, being so close to downtown Red Bank (We've walked it in 3 minutes!)

1 other annoying issue is that you are ONLY allowed to have Comcast (Comcrap) cable/internet service, no DSL, no FiOS, no satellite, that's annoying since Comcast is horrriibblle service and WAYYY overpriced.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,516 times
Hi - Thanks for the update which I'm interested in, since I just looked at an apt there yesterday. It's exactly as you said. The size and layout of the apt is great and appears well-kept, altho I can see that the parking can be a challenge. No problems with the VNA lot? Thanks!

Old 10-03-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beevee123 View Post
Hi - Thanks for the update which I'm interested in, since I just looked at an apt there yesterday. It's exactly as you said. The size and layout of the apt is great and appears well-kept, altho I can see that the parking can be a challenge. No problems with the VNA lot? Thanks!
Hello Beevee123,

Not a problem, I'm glad you asked actually, I have lived here since Sept. or 2010 and can break it down like this.

Pros:
  • great location
  • apartments are well kept
  • maintenance man on-site and super on-site are both very nice, friendly and always available (Anthony and Carol )
  • other tenants in the building are nice and friendly (although I don't see too many of them too often)
  • Parking is usually not a problem
  • Great views
Cons:
  • The management company is Based out of Lakewood, NJ (if that doesn't give away the issue this will: RedBankGreen RENTER COMPLAINTS FILL BOARD’S AGENDA)
  • In the winter parking can be difficult, as the Colony House lot is too small, the Molly Pitcher Inn will not let you park in their lot (they have security guards who watch it), and the VNA closes their lot and warns you if they see you park there they will tow your car. This tends to only be an issue during the winter months when it snow's, outside of that, we haven't had any issues using the VNA's lot.
  • it can get noisy when there are events going on downtown.
  • pulling in and out of the block can sometimes be difficult due to the traffic flow on Rt. 35.

I hope this review helps you, and if you have any more questions, or any questions that you'd think are better kept private, you can PM me.

If you are looking to definitely stay within Red Bank (good choice, I LOVE it here) look into some of the homes that are split into multiple apartments on the east side of Broad Street. Unfortunately only some of them are on websites like hotpads.com and Craigslist, so the best way to find them is to drive around the neighborhood and write down phone numbers. Also, your safest bet is to stay on the EAST side of the train tracks (towards Broad Street - Downtown), the west side is more dangerous.

Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or