Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2007, 03:44 PM

31 posts, read 101,454 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I am new to this forum. I live in CT and am planning to relocate to the Parsippany area in the next few months.

I am looking to buy a 3br home with a garage in Morris or Sussex counties (working in Parsippany). Although I have financing lined up, I dont have 350-600k for a house--I just want simple, affordable, move-in ready housing in a good neighborhood for my small family. Any ideas? Where can I look? Anyone looking to sell a home or know someone that is selling? Any advice?

I appreciate your help!

Maurie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 04:26 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurie12 View Post
Hi all!

I am new to this forum. I live in CT and am planning to relocate to the Parsippany area in the next few months.

I am looking to buy a 3br home with a garage in Morris or Sussex counties (working in Parsippany). Although I have financing lined up, I dont have 350-600k for a house--I just want simple, affordable, move-in ready housing in a good neighborhood for my small family. Any ideas? Where can I look? Anyone looking to sell a home or know someone that is selling? Any advice?

I appreciate your help!

Maurie
parsippany and its immediate areas are pricey. i recommend washington township (morris) - about 20-25 miles west on 80. or, you could go to stanhope (sussex), byram (sussex) - west on 80, up 206 or or jefferson (morris) - west 80, up rt 15. rule of thumb the further from NY, the more affordable housing will be. those are the best places to find something in your price range. market is slow so you probably can get something less than list price.

your commute won't be the best, but if you leave early enough (think 6:30am) or late enough (8:30am) it's not completely terrible.

go to GSMLS , choose the county, and those towns I listed. out of the 4, wash. twsp is the nicest - definitely has the best schools if that is an issue. you may be able to snag something in Mt. Olive too - but I'd choose Washington over Mt. Olive even though the MO commute is a bit better (think 5 minutes).

good luck.....

Old 06-27-2007, 09:41 AM

Talking Re: House

Bobalijon, you are a doll!Thanks for the info. I emailed you from my yahoo address. (mbwchoir@yahoo.com) I hope to speak with you soon!

Tahiti, My angel--Thanks for all the good town info! You have helped out in a big way! I can only get so much info from Google

Fellow New Jerseyians (is that a word?) I appreciate any advice/info you have. If anyone is moving to CT, I'd be glad to help you out as well!

Thanks!

Maurie

Old 06-27-2007, 09:49 AM

512 posts, read 1,755,093 times
Hi Maurie, just be aware of your commute. Going up 15, 23, or West onto 80 can and will be a nightmare both rush hour times. From what friends have told me, it gets harder by the year because everyone is moving west to try and escape the pricey cost of living.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljaybird View Post
Hi Maurie, just be aware of your commute. Going up 15, 23, or West onto 80 can and will be a nightmare both rush hour times. From what friends have told me, it gets harder by the year because everyone is moving west to try and escape the pricey cost of living.
Hi Metajaybirdl! Good advice--maybe I should adjust my hours like Tahiti suggested...either go on early or later, huh? I'd hate to be sitting on a highway for an hour. My current CT commute is about 25 mins--I guess I can kiss that good-bye? LOL

Old 06-27-2007, 11:22 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,200,158 times
Default Make it work

Quote:
Hi Metajaybirdl! Good advice--maybe I should adjust my hours like Tahiti suggested...either go on early or later, huh? I'd hate to be sitting on a highway for an hour. My current CT commute is about 25 mins--I guess I can kiss that good-bye? LOL
==============

Pretty much everywhere you go there will definitely be some traffic - just adjust your hours like Tahiti stated or you could telecommute if thats an option and go in the office once or just twice a week. I used to live in Parsippany and loved the area but I am now in Livingston which is about twelve minutes from my old place in Parsippany.

Also have you thought of renting before purchasing so you can get a feel of the area....I saw a nice house for rent on Littleton Rd in Parsippany like three days ago - you might want to check the GSMLS as well for rentals if they have any listed.

Good Luck and welcome to Morris County

Old 06-28-2007, 08:07 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice, DaSkorpion!

Old 06-28-2007, 08:57 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljaybird View Post
i'm not sure about it getting worse every year - maybe a little, but the commute really has been the same since i've been out here - 15 years.

maurie - i know the previous poster wants to sell his house, but seriously, vernon is just too darn far and you're looking at an absolutely horrible commute, IMHO. i think you'd be looking at minimum 1.5 hrs each way. it's *very* pretty up there, but you won't be able to enjoy it.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:36 PM

Really....that is a hike, huh? Is that peak time or just the way things work all the time? If things work out with the seller and I, I may be able to telecommute a couple times a week which will help somewhat--I'll keep you posted on the happenings. Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming!

Old 08-04-2009, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,395 times
Default Lakefront home for Sale or Rent

Hi Maurie,
I have a home located in Stanhope, NJ, you can rent with or without an option to purchase, the details for the home can be seen on craigslist, the following is the link: Lakefront Home - Tranquil yet short ride to NYC (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/apa/1300351652.html - broken link)
Presently, the home does not have a garage, however, there is plenty of space to have one built (or a prefab) on the property.
I am also willing to sell this home outright, the asking price is $309,000 and I also have an ad on Craigslist for the sale
If you have any questions or interest please do not hesitate to contact me
at (949) 235-0333.

Happy home hunting (HHH),
Peggy

P.S. If you are looking for a country style home in a very suburban area on a lake, you will love living in this home.

Quote:
Hi all!

I appreciate your help!

Maurie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey