U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-20-2010, 11:43 AM

28 posts, read 39,501 times

Advertisements

we have been wanting to live in south jersey for awhile and have also wanted a beach house for awhile. reality of it is, we cant afford two houses. so, on a recebt trip to margate, nj we felt like wr belonged there. a small quaint town next to the beach. it was beautiful, we are a family of five. what is it like living in margate? schools? community? is it a good family town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 12:18 PM

6,774 posts, read 4,776,191 times
It is a good family town and the K-8 schools there are small and intimate....however the kids will attend Atlantic City High School as Margate lacks their own, which is definitely not going to be as "quaint"! Have you looked at Ocean City? OC has their own high school which has a very good rep for academics and also an excellent and well-respected athletics program.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:31 PM

912 posts, read 1,313,207 times
The girl from OC nailed it.

Margate is a great town! Great ocean and bay access, good community, mix of year-round and summer residents. The K-8 schools are highly regarded locally. Unfortunately, really the ONLY downside to living in Margate I can think of is that the kids will have to attend A.C. High School.

As an alternative, perhaps you could consider Linwood, which is literally right over the causeway bridge from Margate on the mainland. It's an awesome town (totally year-round though, no seasonal residents for the most part) with a nice downtown area and wonderful community. The schools are well thought of and the high school would be Mainland Regional, which in my opinion is a very high quality HS.

Another alternative, as mentioned, is OC itself. Not a bad option at all, if you don't mind a dry town.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:36 PM

This isn't geographically the same as Margate, but I'll throw it out there: Seaside Park (NOT Seaside Heights) is similar to Margate and Longport as it's in between the bay and ocean and has a decent year-round community. Similar look and feel. There the kids would go to Toms River East HS which is a good school.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:06 PM

28 posts, read 39,501 times
grrr. i just really loved the feeling of margate, but atlantic city hs would be scary! well anyway, we still want to live in a beach town. other then ocean city, can you recommend any? we really want that feeling that margatr had though, the quaint, beautiful, beachy margate nj

Old 08-20-2010, 10:07 PM

1,608 posts, read 2,205,422 times
I agree with OCNJ girl and TheGambler, but something else to think of is what about sending your child to a Catholic High School? Wildwood Catholic isn't too far away. Another town you might want to see is Somers Point. Anyway, Ocean City High School is one of the best in the state, and it's a new (and very well built) building.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
I agree with OCNJ girl and TheGambler, but something else to think of is what about sending your child to a Catholic High School? Wildwood Catholic isn't too far away. Another town you might want to see is Somers Point. Anyway, Ocean City High School is one of the best in the state, and it's a new (and very well built) building.
Agreed. OC is probably a great option. It's not Margate, but it's right next door.. literally. And I've never once heard a complaint about the school system from anyone. Is Wildwood Catholic going to be open for 2010-11? I heard they were closing...

As far as other towns:

Lavallette is in Ocean County and could be a good option. Similar small, family beach town feeling to Margate, on a barrier peninsula and the kids would go to HS at Point Pleasant Beach, which is considered to be one of the state's best. Close to shopping in Toms River and Brick Twp. Somers Point is good too, and don't overlook Linwood (however it's more suburban than "beachy").

Beach Haven is on Long Beach Island and has the island's largest year-round community. It has its own in-town school district, and the kids go across the bridge to Southern Regional High School when the time comes. SRHS is a pretty good school and actually one of the state's fastest growing. Alternatively, the kids could go to the MATES Academy in Manahawkin for HS (county-run school) which is absolutely amazing. Back to Beach Haven - It's a historic town, close-knit community and really the ultimate in beach/shore lifestyle.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:37 AM

1,671 posts, read 3,775,686 times
One thing to note about Margate is that it is extremely quiet and deserted during the winter months. I have a friend that used to live there year-round and he used to joke about how you could sleep in the middle of the street and not worry about getting hit by a car. On the other hand, it is extremely crowded during the summer beach season. If you can deal with those extremes then it might be a good town for you. I would imagine other nearby towns are similar.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:29 AM

5,007 posts, read 2,977,526 times
I must agree with all the other posters. We raised our children in Manahawkin, off LBI. Now the Island has become over populated and very expensive. SR High School is excellent.

Our daughter lived in Linwood and after having the kids moved to Northfield, Mainland HS is one of the best schools in the State.

OC is really a great town and it is also a "dry" town. You really don't want your children to go to AC High School. Somers Point is beautiful too.

Good luck in your move.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:28 PM

4 posts, read 4,042 times
Living in margate is great.
Ocean City is a dry town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey