U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2007, 05:53 PM

10 posts, read 21,461 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I got a job in Midtown Manhattan (48th and Park) and I am looking to save a chunk of money by renting and commuting from Jersey. My main criteria for a neighborhood is the ease and quickness of a commute to midtown. I would like the area to be safe and accessible in the night (e.g. buses that run at night). It would also be nice to have a few restaurants and bars in the vicinity. My budget is $1000 per month including utilities and I am looking for a studio. I am willing to find random roommates to share a bigger place, but I would like to stick to this criteria.

Thanks in advance,

Karan

PS: I am new to this forum so excuse me if I fail to follow the rules.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 12:07 AM

3 posts, read 7,099 times
Along the PATH line (subway, runs 24h) might be good. PATH train goes upto 33rd and 6th Ave. in Midtown Manhattan from Newark, NJ. For the budget, you might want to check apartments near Grove Street station area or maybe Journal Square. But generally speaking, downtown Jersey City area (near Grove Street station) is safer than Journal square (also beyond Journal Square is a bit time consuming to commute to the city). You cannot use PATH quick card to ride subways in NYC, so if you need to take subways in NY to commute from 33rd street, you need to pay MTA subway fee separately from PATH. (PATH one way with card is $1.20, without card is $1.50. MTA one way is $2.) So if you need to go further up in Manhattan, you might want to check Queens, NY or Brooklyn, NY.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:47 AM

1,346 posts, read 1,575,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksk385 View Post
Hi,

I got a job in Midtown Manhattan (48th and Park) and I am looking to save a chunk of money by renting and commuting from Jersey. My main criteria for a neighborhood is the ease and quickness of a commute to midtown. I would like the area to be safe and accessible in the night (e.g. buses that run at night). It would also be nice to have a few restaurants and bars in the vicinity. My budget is $1000 per month including utilities and I am looking for a studio. I am willing to find random roommates to share a bigger place, but I would like to stick to this criteria.

Thanks in advance,

Karan

PS: I am new to this forum so excuse me if I fail to follow the rules.

that is probably one of the worst places to commute to from NJ, you'd be better off looking in places that have trains that go into grand central, think westchester and north or southern CT

Old 07-03-2007, 04:49 PM

5,439 posts, read 14,341,277 times
How about Rutherford, NJ? It is not too happening, but it's a nice town very close on the train line to Penn station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or