U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 04:43 AM

3 posts, read 5,399 times

Advertisements

Hello all.
My name is Eyal and I'm originally from Israel, my company just offered me a position in New Jersey, where in NJ? Well this is one of the things I'm trying to figure out.
I'm looking for a nice and secure place for me and my wife (hopefully will have a junior during the relocation), the company gives me a free choice of resident place as my work will be to manage all the activities in the Eastern cost.
We are just in the early stages of trying to figure it all out and I will appreciate it if you can share with me your experience and information.
So what are we trying to figure out?
Where to live in Central NJ? We are two young people who would like to have it all near us, and since I'll be traveling, we would like to have a nice environment for my wife.
Living costs? I know it to general, but I'm trying to figure if we can make it with one salary.

I want to thank you all in advance for all the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 05:38 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,722,918 times
It all depends on what that one salary is. Can we have a bit more information, please?

Old 06-27-2007, 06:23 AM

6 posts, read 27,084 times
For affordability and proximity to the airport (Newark Liberty) you'd probably be best off in Central NJ. Try Monroe, South Brunswick or Cranberry. The problem is that they are very sterile; by that I mean no little town centers, no "Main Street," just lots of strip malls and "big box" stores on highways.

But of course a neighborhood is a neighborhood, and you can make friends anywhere. Schools are pretty good depending on the town.

North Jersey is close to Newark Liberty Airport but also close to LaGuardia Airport (in New York) and even JFK. Also close to Manhattan, but you pay for that privilege in taxes and higher house costs (though property taxes are very high all over NJ, they're outrageous in North Jersey). The towns are smaller, older and more "homey" and have much more character. Schools are among the best in the country.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:29 AM

8,130 posts, read 11,865,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyalaz View Post
Hello all.
My name is Eyal and I'm originally from Israel, my company just offered me a position in New Jersey, where in NJ? Well this is one of the things I'm trying to figure out.
I'm looking for a nice and secure place for me and my wife (hopefully will have a junior during the relocation), the company gives me a free choice of resident place as my work will be to manage all the activities in the Eastern cost.
We are just in the early stages of trying to figure it all out and I will appreciate it if you can share with me your experience and information.
So what are we trying to figure out?
Where to live in Central NJ? We are two young people who would like to have it all near us, and since I'll be traveling, we would like to have a nice environment for my wife.
Living costs? I know it to general, but I'm trying to figure if we can make it with one salary.

I want to thank you all in advance for all the help.
Since your company offers you a free choice of resident place, I'd say to not move to NJ. NJ is very expensive and unless you're doing $100,000 plus, NJ isn't for you. (Remember, he said he wanted it all near us).

Old 06-27-2007, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 6,977 times
I would suggest the Robbinsville area.Located half way between New York and Philadelphia,you could choose Robbinsville or surrounding towns depending on your finances.
E-mail if you need more info

Old 06-27-2007, 09:22 AM

19 posts, read 126,459 times
Our income is $75,000 a year. We live in Roselle Park, NJ which is part of Union County. It is a diverse community, close to public transportation, highways and Newark Airport. There are large, small and medium size homes at a variety of prices. The neighborhood is calm and there are many activities for families and children. I can only speak from pesonal experience, but I would recommend my town as a place to look.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:06 PM

6,044 posts, read 21,125,101 times
What town will you be working in?
If you look at a map, it may seem that NJ is small and an easy commute but the traffic is pretty congested in most areas. You don't want to be living in a town too far from your job. Tell us what town you'll be working in, and we can recommend towns and school districts near it that are desireable.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:08 PM

9,155 posts, read 20,195,772 times
Coming to South Jersey, Burlington or Camden county may work. Philly airport isn't far, and you can usually get more house for the money down here so one salary depending on what it is, may work.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:05 AM

3 posts, read 5,399 times
Hi guys.
Thanks for the super help, I was away from internet access for few days and when I checked the responses today I was surprised.

I'm starting to fond the Nourth NJ which is closer to Manhattan.
We are going to rent a house/app so I'm not sure about the taxes.

Any recomandation bout this area????

Old 07-01-2007, 02:08 PM

220 posts, read 626,260 times
Default Clinton NJ

Hi,

I'm originally from England but moved to Clinton, Hunterdon county, NJ 3 years ago. It is a very beautiful small historic town (settled in the early 1700's) with a main street, a river running through with cafes etc (a little touristy but very quaint). VERY safe, great schools, just beautiful. 1 1/2 hours to the beach, 1 1/2 hours to the mountains, a little over an hour to Manhattan (although there is a train line that I'm sure would be quicker, I've just never used it) 45 mins to Princeton, 45 mins to Newark airport. It's perfect, well....almost, it's pricey, but you get what you pay for

The housing market is slow at the moment so it's a good time to buy.
Check out this site for houses
NJ - Garden State MLS, New Jersey - Garden State MLS (http://new.gsmls.com/public/ - broken link)

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or