Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 12:16 PM

592 posts, read 2,187,860 times

Advertisements

Just walk a few blocks and move to newport... problem solved.

Once agian you cannot generalize jersey city together as 1 city, you should know that since you live here. The newport/exchange place area in jersey city is one of the safest and convenient areas anywhere in the us, with public transportation, shops and rest all located next door. Going out further, you have the rest downtown area by grove street path, hamilton park and vvp. Also very safe and quiet areas.

Further out, comes the tier 2 areas around journal square path, which is still livable but not as nice and safe. Then you have the rest of jersey city, which is mostly ghettos and unlivable.

So when you say jersey city is safe / not safe, it doesnt mean anything at all.

Again newport is your best bet based on your criterial, it's basically a bubble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 05:46 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numumsie View Post
I have two young children and now live in Jersey City, NJ, once my lease is up, my husband and I would like to move out of Jersey City, NJ to another part of New Jersey that will provide a safer, cleaner, quieter place for us to raise our kids. Now here is the tough part, at this time, we do not have a car, so we need to move somplace that is clean and safe, but that also has transportation so that we can get around, get the kids to school, do our grocery shopping, etc and so that I could commute to work. We are considering Bayonne as an option, but I also wanted to see if anyone had any other places they could suggest that we could look into????

Thank you very much.
It might help to post a bit more on what you're looking for. What part of Jersey City are you currently located in ? What's your budget ? Etc.

Take a look at the sticky questionaire.

If you want something walkable, the nicer parts of Jersey City might be a better fit than anything else, but space is expensive. You have two kids, so you might find a place with enough room for your family proves too expensive.

But if you move further into the suburbs, life becomes inconvenient if you don't own a car. There are many suburbs that have good rail access but you will still want a car to do your grocery shopping. Lugging bags of groceries on mass transit while attending to small children is a challenge to put it mildly.

If you're in Bayonne, unless you happen to live within walking distance of a good grocery store (and there aren't many in Bayonne), you will need to either drive to get groceries, or take the light rail.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:23 AM

6 posts, read 10,148 times
I have been living in Jesrey City for many years, so I am aware of all the different sections and how they rank, I just want to get out of the city period, but I do not know about the other towns in NJ, so when I asked about safety, I was referring to the other areas that could potentially be good for my family, I know there are safe areas in JC, but I want to get out of JC altogether. I want something with a more suburban feel, that still offers good public transportation.

ELFORD1973, doing anything with two toddlers and no car is a challenge!! LOLOL!! This is something me and my husband deal with all the time. We just took a family trip with our little ones and that was quite an adventure to say the least!!!

Thanks.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:56 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Cranford or Metuchen? Both very nice suburban towns, assumed very safe, good schools, with rail connex to Newark Penn.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:29 AM

i dont think you can live in any of the suburbs in nj without a car. Guess your only choice is along the coast line going north - hoboken, edgewater etc..not sure what that gains you though vs living in jc.

Your only other option is bayonne, which you can barely get away with not having a car (lots of walks). But that is definitely a major downgrade from waterfront jc.

If you really want the suburb styles, then get a car, then many very nice neighborhoods open up.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:43 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
i'd like to challenge the idea that you can't live in any nj suburb without a car. it depends really. if you lived near the train station in a town, and were within reasonable walking distance to a grocery store - you'd be surprised what you can accomplish on bikes. but, most towns are not set up to be conducive to this, so it's extremely difficult

Old 08-25-2010, 01:55 PM

431 posts, read 942,672 times
society hill in newark

ftw.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:42 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i'd like to challenge the idea that you can't live in any nj suburb without a car. it depends really. if you lived near the train station in a town, and were within reasonable walking distance to a grocery store - you'd be surprised what you can accomplish on bikes.
It does "depend", but there are only a handful of suburban places where day to day living for someone with two children would work without a car. One of them is Montclair near the downtown. Maybe South Orange downtown would work too, at least in the sense that you would be able to attend to your routine errands without being too inconvenienced. However, it becomes limiting pretty quickly. For example, what if you want to go visit your friends in a nearby suburb (you could bicycle there, but remember, OP has two toddlers) ? Or if you live in Montclair, what if one of your friends in Jersey City invites you to a party on Sunday ? Do you tell them, "sorry, I have to stay at home because the trains aren't running" ?

Old 08-27-2010, 08:14 AM

6 posts, read 10,148 times
I think until we are able to afford a car, the suburbs are going to be very difficult for us to manage with two kids. I know that train goes to places like Dunellen and Cranford that are nice, but it is not just groceries, but doctors visits, commuting to Pre-K, etc and so forth, we would need to be able to do all of those things on public transportation too and in JC we have all the public transportation we need and it is still hard with two toddlers, so I can imagine how much harder it would be in the Suburbs with no car. So until we get a car, it looks like we will need to say closer, however, I want to believe we can still get out of JC and be okay. Dont get me wrong, I am not trashing JC, the Newport Area is lovely, but I cannot afford $1500 a month (or more) for rent, the Newport area is too expensive for us, we cannot afford that, so that is why I am looking at Bayonne, but I have heard some nice things about Hackensack and Weehawken, or other areas that would offer public transportation...I just need more information about them.

Thank you.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
society hill in newark

ftw.
You are kidding right? It's a fenced in lala land in the middle of nowhere surrounded by ghettos. People zap in and out in their cars to get anywhere, how is the OP going to move around without a car?

OP, does it have to be NJ? If not checkout forest hills in queens ny (take the E train subway to 71st continental stop). It's a very nice suburb type residential area and rents are lower than newport. Many stores/doctor office etc.. all around within walking distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey