U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-10-2010, 09:56 PM

5,044 posts, read 4,375,792 times

Advertisements

Hal,

I would celebrate if my kids' school was ranked at 41. You will be very happy with it, don't worry. I've heard the schools in Westfield are wonderful.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 01:04 AM

949 posts, read 1,085,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Jalikeakick View Post
i noticed Westfield mentioned a couple of times in this thread. Interesting that Westfield's ranking has dropped from: 22 in 2006, to 27 2008, and current ranking is 41.

My family just moved to Westfield, we have 2 kids in elementary school. Although the school year has just begun, so far i am happy with my childrens teachers. both set up meetings before school started to aquaint our children to their new school. both teachers have also been emailing my wife regularly to see how the kids are adjusting etc.
I am planning to move to WF, I am not really all that worried about the school dropping 20 rankings. All the research I have done indicates that WF's schools are wonderful and the parents are very involved. I love the town and the feel so we can't wait to find our house next year.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:07 PM

461 posts, read 655,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Jalikeakick View Post
i noticed Westfield mentioned a couple of times in this thread. Interesting that Westfield's ranking has dropped from: 22 in 2006, to 27 2008, and current ranking is 41.

My family just moved to Westfield, we have 2 kids in elementary school. Although the school year has just begun, so far i am happy with my childrens teachers. both set up meetings before school started to aquaint our children to their new school. both teachers have also been emailing my wife regularly to see how the kids are adjusting etc.
Westfield was pushed down, almost entirely due to average class size. Look at the other metrics - average SATs, average AP test scores, et al.

I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of Westfield schools.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:20 AM

380 posts, read 750,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looktowindward View Post
Westfield was pushed down, almost entirely due to average class size. Look at the other metrics - average SATs, average AP test scores, et al.

I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of Westfield schools.
i'm not worried, but thought it interesting. you are right on the money. i guess we can all put down our torches and pitchforks in WF.

Quote:
Schools Superintendent Margaret Dolan explained to the Board of Education Tuesday evening that the way state education officials had local districts calculate class size impacted the high school's final score on the New Jersey Monthly list. The magazine's rating for WHS dropped from 27 in 2008 to 41 in the list that was revealed earlier this month.

New Jersey Monthly's numbers – which were based on numbers filed with state education officials – showed the high school's average class size rising from 19 in 2008 to 26.4 in 2010. Dolan said the district's interpretation of state guidelines for calculating average class size led to the large rise.

"We read the directions literally in this district," she said. "If you read it literally you included all of your students. But if you read it literally you did not use all of your teachers."

Dolan said the calculations done by BOE officials included all classes and students in the high school, including special education classes. But following the directions not all teachers were used, causing the dramatic rise in average class size. She said after the numbers were calculated she talked to superintendents in other districts who had used other calculations and state education officials assured her that another calculation method – bringing the number closer to the 19 – would be used in their office.

The average class size was a key factor in the school environment category used by the magazine to determine the rankings. Student environment included such aspects as class size, student/faculty ratio, student/computer ratio, the number of AP classes offered and the number of AP tests offered.

"That weighed against us," Dolan said of the class size calculation.

full article here:
Dolan: Class Size Calculation Contributed to WHS Ranking Drop - Westfield, NJ Patch

Old 09-15-2010, 10:32 AM

912 posts, read 1,310,641 times
I'd venture a guess that the difference between school #21 and school #41 are nil. It pains me to see that school board members actually have to take time to answer questions about this BS magazine survey. The public is so gullible.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:57 AM

461 posts, read 655,612 times
Its important for property values. We pay very high taxes, so we like our property values to remain high.

One other thing they could improve is the number of AP classes offered at WHS. Maybe add AP Micro/Macro Economics?

Old 10-14-2010, 03:26 PM

11 posts, read 17,798 times
The NJ monthly magazine is pretty useful since it takes in MANY DIFFERENT aspects of a school, unlike other school rankings websites. Anything in the Top 50 is very good imo, so if a wealthy school district puts in tons and tons of money to renvoate the interior of the high school building or to purchase the most updated amazing technology to use in every classrooms...the ability to hire 7 extra teachers to lower class size just won't happen...every wealthy school district spends money unequally...you have small high schools with small class sizes and outdated technology or of course updated technology and hallways with large class sizes and fewer teachers therefore more distractions amongst students...
Sometimes a single number is not enough to really "see" into the school system...every district is different. A magazine explains their criteria and expects critical opinions...they are up for the heat!

Old 10-14-2010, 08:38 PM

96 posts, read 190,573 times
Westfield is pretty darn good. Two of our employees have sent 4 children through the Westfield school system. All were accepted to top notch schools (Bucknell, Lafayette (2) and Rice).

Old 11-13-2010, 09:21 AM

8 posts, read 19,649 times
I read only few post in this thread so far , for someone who did not go to school in US find it realy useful. Thanks all for the contributions in this thread

Old 07-31-2012, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 502 times
Default Worried about Millburn NJ

Hello All,

I am seriously considering moving to Millburn, NJ for the schools. We will buy a "bottom of the rung" house and will not have the kind of money others have there. I grew up in Scarsdale, NY in a very similar situation. I however disdain the snobbyness I grew up with and am a very down to earth person. I am very concerned that I will not make friends there and that my son will have to deal with the same kinds of things I dealt with as a kid. In Scarsdale there were certain neighborhoods that were more down to earth. My question is are there areas in Millburn that are more down to earth and /or a bit more alternative? BTW I would much prefer to move to Maplewood - I just feel a huge inner drive to send my son to Millburn schools.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey