U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-25-2010, 07:55 AM

7,646 posts, read 10,695,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
absolutely..blame it on Christie....
Ah, it's all Bush's fault.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 07:56 AM

17,580 posts, read 18,148,870 times
Someone messed up. It would be nice to see some accountability.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:58 AM

10,490 posts, read 14,339,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Someone messed up. It would be nice to see some accountability.
Yes I agree and hope Christie gets to the bottom of it

Old 08-25-2010, 08:11 AM

11,315 posts, read 7,783,118 times
Quote:
offer up someone else? who's in charge of submitting the application? someone in the governor's office correct? who's in charge of ensuring it's filled out properly without errors?

i don't know the answer - i'm asking. if it's someone in the governor's office, then that office has to take responsibility.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:52 AM

13,569 posts, read 14,786,130 times
I would assume this would have fallen under Schundler's area as he is the top education guy. Of course, blame ultimately rolls right to the top no matter what, as it should. If this is something the Governor actually wanted (that still seems unclear), there is no excuse for not filing the application properly. It is my understanding that the missing piece of information was a simple comparison chart on school spending that is readily available.

Of course, they should have taken the evidence that we can't follow directions and realized that we could really use the money...lol.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:57 AM

933 posts, read 1,613,295 times
Default The shoe fits the Christie Administration, and it alone.

Quote:
I am reading there was an error on the application which resulted in NJ losing points....Hope Christie makes it his business to find out who is responsible for the error....
Quote:
In this case, Kate, the shoe fits: Error on 'Race to the Top' application costs N.J. $400M in federal funds | NJ.com

"New Jersey’s application was submitted after a heated battle between Christie and the NJEA.

The union and hundreds of its local chapters had signed onto an earlier version of the application, in which Schundler had agreed to compromises on tenure and merit pay. But the administration hastily rewrote the application over the Memorial Day weekend, scrapping the agreed-to changes.

The final application, which was submitted without the backing of the NJEA, was driven to Washington the day of the deadline because the papers could not be faxed or e-mailed.

On Friday of Memorial Day weekend we all signed off on the same application," Hiltner said. "By Tuesday morning, a different application had been submitted. How much time could have been put into that application?"

IN THIS CASE, (and I'm trying to stay as neutral as possible in the big picture, but once again IN THIS CASE,) there is no one else to blame but the Christie administration.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:11 AM

10,490 posts, read 14,339,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
In this case, Kate, the shoe fits: Error on 'Race to the Top' application costs N.J. $400M in federal funds | NJ.com

"New Jersey’s application was submitted after a heated battle between Christie and the NJEA.

The union and hundreds of its local chapters had signed onto an earlier version of the application, in which Schundler had agreed to compromises on tenure and merit pay. But the administration hastily rewrote the application over the Memorial Day weekend, scrapping the agreed-to changes.

The final application, which was submitted without the backing of the NJEA, was driven to Washington the day of the deadline because the papers could not be faxed or e-mailed.

On Friday of Memorial Day weekend we all signed off on the same application," Hiltner said. "By Tuesday morning, a different application had been submitted. How much time could have been put into that application?"

IN THIS CASE, (and I'm trying to stay as neutral as possible in the big picture, but once again IN THIS CASE,) there is no one else to blame but the Christie administration.
I totally agree but not Christie himself ....who submitted the second incorrect application and was it deliberate (NJEA sympathizer) I know that's a stretch but in this state anything is possible... or a unfortunate honest error?? He needs to get to the bottom of this fast as it is going to fall at his feet as the top command

Old 08-25-2010, 09:13 AM

428 posts, read 205,949 times
I have a couple points to make. As another poster has said, We have still yet to see a valid method of instituting merit pay. My wife teaches an autistic classroom. Please tell me how you want to institute merit pay for her. She grins ear to ear when she tells me how she got a kid to recognize the principal, walk up to him and say 'Good morning, Mr. <insertname>'. Sure that is not a big deal to other kids but for her classroom, it is.

I also cannot reconcile the fact of instituting merit pay with Christie asking for pay freezes and slashing funding. we keep saying that if merit pay is adopted then it must be guaranteed. There are no asking for pay freezes and there are no 'sorry we know you excelled above and beyond but there's no money for your raise this year...or next year...or the year after that'.

We also think the original Race to the Top application agreed to by the teacher union was a fair compromise. Test scores would account for 49 or 50% (can't remember) of the teacher evaluation. It would also be shared amongst the teachers. That is completely fair since a school has aides, speech teachers, reading teachers etc so they all contribute to the success of that child. Likewise, I think switching to completely merit based will not work right away. As I and others pointed out, there are problems with merit pay that will come up and need to get ironed out. The teacher union compromise was fair and can help move merit pay forward. You can have it count for 50% of the evaluation for 5 or so years and see how it goes. Work out the kinks, show whether it works or not and then adopt it fully (or drop it). By implementing it fully right now, you will run into these problems and screw people in the process.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:20 AM

428 posts, read 205,949 times
Let's see what kind of leader Christie is with this mistake. He's quick to take it upon himself to rewrite the application, put down other groups, dismiss everyone's negotiations and do everything himself. If he blames anyone other than himself for this then it shows his character. We all know that if NJ won, he would have come out and said how he took it upon himself to do what's right for NJ and yadayadayada.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:21 AM

912 posts, read 1,199,515 times
We all should be thanking whoever messed up this application. These one-time grants may seem great, but all they lead to is massive hiring of teachers and administrators whose salaries we'll have to pay LONG after the federal grant money runs out.

And let's be honest: Does anyone here believe any of this money would benefit hard-working, tax-paying middle class residents? It would all be funneled to Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, etc. just like everything else. Whoever screwed up the application did us all a big, big favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey