U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-25-2010, 02:50 AM

3 posts, read 4,831 times
Default Advice on moving to Union St. Jersey City

I am looking at a house that is on Union St. near Bergen Ave. In Jersey City, NJ. My dad knows cops who work in Jersey City and say it's a dangerous area for a single female in her 20s. I used to live off of West Side for about six months and never had any problems. I really like the house and was wondering if anyone could give me input on how safe it would be for me to live there by myself?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 04:35 AM

12,336 posts, read 12,982,925 times
Its a cross between bad and slightly decent area , try looking in the Heights or Historic Downtown. If you want safe neighborhoods. Each Jersey City neighborhood is different in terms of safety most are safe ,except Bergen / Layette and Greenville.

Last edited by Nexis4Jersey; 08-25-2010 at 05:35 AM..

Old 08-25-2010, 05:13 AM

2,771 posts, read 3,637,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rissaxo View Post
I am looking at a house that is on Union St. near Bergen Ave. In Jersey City, NJ. My dad knows cops who work in Jersey City and say it's a dangerous area for a single female in her 20s. I used to live off of West Side for about six months and never had any problems. I really like the house and was wondering if anyone could give me input on how safe it would be for me to live there by myself?
It's a high crime area. South of Communipaw tends to be very rough, and the southern part of Jersey City tends to get rougher as you go East from West Side. I find people here have a tendency to overrate the danger of living in an area with higher crime, so I wouldn't go so far as to say that you'd be "unsafe".

However, you can find much nicer places for the same money. You might really like the house but I suspect you won't like the neighborhood so much. Even if you don't feel threatened, the quality of life annoyances will grow irritating over time.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:25 AM

3 posts, read 9,878 times
Default Marion Section

Try the marion section of jersey city. It's quiet, safe and close to all transportation. The better blocks are Giles, Wales, Wright, Marion Place.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:55 PM

3 posts, read 4,831 times
Would it be safe to park a mustang on Union St? I cannot find a house as nice as this one for the price they are selling it.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,948 times
I'm a chauffeur that has lived on Union east of Ocean for three years. I chose my block because it's quiet and a good value. I park my client's RR Phaeton on the street without any problems. In fact I neglectfully left one of the back windows open one night and the car was untouched. It depends on what side of Ocean you're on. I wouldn't recommend cross streets west of Ocean to Bergen. There are nice pockets East of Ocean to Garfield with working class residents, many are professionals that commute to Manhattan.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 885 times
I came across this posting when I was looking for an apartment 9 months ago and was considering the Union Street area. I moved from the Hell's Kitchen section of Manhattan to Randolph Avenue, around the corner from Union Street. Near the Garfield Avenue Light Rail. The area is a bit more West than the the original post was referring to, it's called Berry Hill. I just came across this post again and wanted to offer my feedback after being settled in for 9 months. Maybe things have changed dramatically here over the last 2-3 years, but the area is fairly safe and quiet as long as you don't cross Ocean ave. I was considering Journal Square for an easier commute to Manhattan for work. My commute is only 5, at most 10 minutes longer than Journal Square and much quieter. I pay half the rent I was paying in NYC, have a view of NYC, a nicer place with laundry and easy parking. If I take the bus at Bramhall or Union to the Path, I can get to Midtown in about 30 minutes, the Light Rail to Path takes about 45 min. The money I've saved on rent is going towards a down payment for a home purchase this summer in the area. The area is a great value when you consider the proximity to NYC. Smart place to live and one of my best decisions.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:37 PM

248 posts, read 436,676 times
No its not safe. Try the Heights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey