U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 09:39 AM

38 posts, read 68,557 times

Advertisements

Good Morning East Coast

I live in Washington State and am embroiled in an illegal apt disaster of my own.
I know this is an older thread, trying to read anything I can, anywhere, to try to wrap my brain around
the devastating impact of sudden displacement as I try to keep my head above water in our neck of the woods.

... I felt compelled to chime in here to commend 'JCParalegal' for sharing information with y'all.

I hope everyone had a BEAUTIFUL holiday weekend with their families and
to those of you having to deal with an illegal apt situation...
... take a deep breath, you're NOT alone, and whatever you do, don't give up!!! God Bless You.

ps... if you're curious, click here...Code Enforcement Order to Vacate - Federal Way WA
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 12:12 PM

Hello again East Coast, thought you might like to read the newest post this morning at 10:35am PST...#58... Have a BEAUTIFUL day!!

Code Enforcement Order to Vacate - Federal Way WA

Old 07-09-2015, 12:20 PM

2,850 posts, read 856,870 times
Way off track but... did anybody ELSE think it very odd that both DaSkorpion and njkate's first lines were identical?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSkorpion View Post

Well first of all did you NOT know it was a basement apartment before you signed the lease. I am assuming you went and took a look before signing the lease and maybe because you've found a better place you just want to leave without being penalized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post

Well first of all did you NOT know it was a basement apartment before you signed the lease. I am assuming you went and took a look before signing the lease and maybe because you've found a better place you just want to leave without being penalized.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:35 PM

2,895 posts, read 2,050,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedekat View Post
Hello again East Coast, thought you might like to read the newest post
Surprisingly... no.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:39 PM

That's cool

Old 04-10-2016, 06:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,440 times
My boyfriend and myself just payed the security and first month rent on a basement apartment it only has one form of egress and the boiler and all that is in the room connected to the bathroom hallway the windows are standard basement Windows not big enough to escape in case of fire. We have a lease and it stated we can paint as kind as she approves the colors I told her I wanted to do greys and she agreed. Now she is upset I painted the moulding around a door and she freaked out I said I had white paint so I can paint it back before we left but she was going nuts and sending me all these long texts. I agreed to paint it back asap but she never responded. When my boyfriend saw how she spoke to me he decided he didn't want to live under her roof which was understandable because she has a history of mental illness and she had a freak out the day I was painting upstairs. However we told her we wanted out and she is now threatening we will owe her money for breaking the lease and the money to paint. I never spent one day there and it was because she wasn't even ready for us to move in because she was behind in repairs. Then she said she would sue us and I am thinking the three month lease is void because her lease was for an illegal dwelling...do we have ground to stand on?

Old 04-10-2016, 06:56 PM

2 posts, read 1,440 times
I'm sorry I should have said we live in New Jersey and the apartment is in Roselle park

Old 04-11-2016, 08:01 AM

2,895 posts, read 2,050,031 times
If you literally want to burn this bridge, you need to ask the local building inspector.

Walk in with photos and talk about the place and see what they can tell you, but it's going to be their call if it's illegal or not. I'm betting with the single egress point though she's going to be a ****ton of trouble and will want to pin it on you. Get your stuff out, find a second place and then start waving your arms around about this apartment. No point in flailing around pointing fingers when you don't have solid footing.

The Official Website of the Borough of Roselle, NJ :::: Home

Old 04-11-2016, 08:36 AM

14,121 posts, read 16,852,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloyal44 View Post
I'm sorry I should have said we live in New Jersey and the apartment is in Roselle park
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
If you literally want to burn this bridge, you need to ask the local building inspector.

Walk in with photos and talk about the place and see what they can tell you, but it's going to be their call if it's illegal or not. I'm betting with the single egress point though she's going to be a ****ton of trouble and will want to pin it on you. Get your stuff out, find a second place and then start waving your arms around about this apartment. No point in flailing around pointing fingers when you don't have solid footing.

The Official Website of the Borough of Roselle, NJ :::: Home

The website for Roselle isn't going to be of much use to someone who lives in Roselle Park.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:33 PM

1 posts, read 615 times
Hi i live in Roselle nj and i wanted to know if my apartment will be consided illegal if the apartment was never inspected by the building department to declare that it meet the standards for rental
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey