Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2010, 02:18 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
we will stop painting you with a broad brush when you stop painting muslims with one.
Have you paid attention to anything I've said?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 02:22 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Death sentences are fine if you're talking about the most hardened criminals....murderers, rapists, etc. I think pedophiles should be executed. The problem with Islam is that they kill people over nonsensical "crimes" like adultery, not wearing your burqa, not saying your prayers to Allah, etc.
so what you deem morally acceptable to kill for is right, but what others deem morally acceptable to kill for is wrong?

why should a rapist be executed?

further, what's the purpose of execution? it's been proven to not be a successful deterhant, so is it an effective punishment? what makes it an effective punishment?

i'm not looking for a debate on the death penalty though. just pointing out - we are killing people here too. we've executed innocent people (not proven yet, but fairly certain). we've exhonerated people who were about to be executed, and this is proven.

so back to method and not reason. why is stoning any less advanced than firing squad or electrocuting the hell out of someone?

Old 08-27-2010, 02:22 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,365,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoaeve View Post
Again the mosque isn't AT GROUND ZERO
Ummm, YES IT IS! The building was directly damaged in the attack and unusable without major reconstruction. Makes it part of ground zero in my book. It's conquered ground.

Geesh, let's just all agree to disagree on this already! Nobody is listening to anything their adversary is saying! (myself included)

I'm outta this thread.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:24 PM

412 posts, read 1,327,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
The last time I checked, the Jews and Catholics didn't slam airplanes into the sides of buildings in the name of some ridiculous "holy war" and 77 virgins or whatever.

I also seem to remember that, on 9/11, in the United States, somewhere in NJ, I believe, there were Muslims dancing in the streets after the towers came down. I wonder if any of them will be going to the "cultural center."
So again you blaming an entire culture for what conspired on 9/11.

Hell Timothy what's his name didn't raise this much ruckus when he blew up the building in OK and he was what an AMERICAN TERRORIST.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:25 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Quote:
ok. whatever helps you reason that on religion is better than another. i suggest you read some books about terrorism. i think Terrorism in Context is a very good one that looks at many of the religious justifications for acts that have been used.

Or, you could go forward thinking that Islam is the religion of choice for terrorists.
I'm atheist, and one of the many reason is because all religions have a corrupted history. I never said christianity is better than muslims, you just keep assuming that because we're against the Mosque being proposed where it is, that we don't recognized the harm Christianity has caused in the past. It's just irrelavant and endless. The terrorist weren't Christians sacraficing their lives for their God.
Why do we have to open so many books that have nothing to do with this particular controversy?

You see how this thread has turned into a warzone of disagreements? This is causing a distubance to our peace, and the developers DO NOT CARE. They don't give as a rhyme or reason to try and calm the uproar, it's all kept a secret.

No one is blaming Muslims. Most Muslims living here are here because of how cruel and violent their Muslim government is. They came to a prodomintely christian country to peacefully practice their religion. They should just respect the victims families request- Christian churches have been bombed in Baghdad.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/...iraq.violence/

Old 08-27-2010, 02:26 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoaeve View Post
So again you blaming an entire culture for what conspired on 9/11.

Hell Timothy what's his name didn't raise this much ruckus when he blew up the building in OK and he was what an AMERICAN TERRORIST.
No comment on the fact that American Muslims, in the shadows of the Twin Towers, were dancing in the streets after the attacks?

As far as Timothy McVeigh, I would have just as much of a problem with a shrine to him or whatever wacky group he might have belonged to built in Oklahoma City.

A mosque at Ground Zero....what's next? A Japanese war memorial at Pearl Harbor?

Old 08-27-2010, 02:27 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Quote:
so what you deem morally acceptable to kill for is right, but what others deem morally acceptable to kill for is wrong?

why should a rapist be executed?

further, what's the purpose of execution? it's been proven to not be a successful deterhant, so is it an effective punishment? what makes it an effective punishment?

i'm not looking for a debate on the death penalty though. just pointing out - we are killing people here too. we've executed innocent people (not proven yet, but fairly certain). we've exhonerated people who were about to be executed, and this is proven.

so back to method and not reason. why is stoning any less advanced than firing squad or electrocuting the hell out of someone?
The death penalty is reserved for those who commit horrendous crimes (usually murder). Often times people in the Middle East are stoned for stupid reasons (adultery, etc.). They're really not comparable.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:28 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
i thought they hated us for our freedoms? isn't that what bush said?

Old 08-27-2010, 02:29 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Have you paid attention to anything I've said?
yes i have. apparantly you have not. you keep saying you're not, but then you're saying the text encourages violence. i hate to break it to you, but the text encourages whatever the hell people interpret it to encourage them to do.

you're painting muslims with the brush of being inspipred to violence by their religion. whether you see it or not, that's what you're doing.

you're removing the fact that they are acting in political interests, and using religion as a cloak for those interests.

you then say "The Japanese attack had little to do with religion and more to do with American policy in Asia, American-Japanese relations (which were not good), as well as economics. Political and economic relationships can change. Religious belief usually does not."

the 9/11 attacks have everything to do with political and economic relationships as well. and American policy in the middle east. and various other items. religion is the excuse, not the inspiration.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:31 PM

412 posts, read 1,327,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Ummm, YES IT IS! The building was directly damaged in the attack and unusable without major reconstruction. Makes it part of ground zero in my book. It's conquered ground.

Geesh, let's just all agree to disagree on this already! Nobody is listening to anything their adversary is saying! (myself included)

I'm outta this thread.

Ummm if you know the area, of ever been to lower Manhattan you will know that the mosque is not @ Ground Zero.

The PATH terminal is @ GROUND ZERO.

The new World Trade Center 1 is @ GROUND ZERO.

Century 21 Department Store is located directly across from GROUND ZERO.

The Millineum,excuse my spelling, hotel is directly across the street for GROUND ZERO.

GROUND ZERO WAS WHERE THE ACTUAL TOWERS WERE LOCATED.

The most is located on Park Place which is in walking distance to GROUND ZERO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey