Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 12:11 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,365,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
polling isn't always effective, whether it supports my argument or not, it's not a fair representation of how many people actually disagree with it. and it still doesn't answer my question - how many people are actually against this, when so many people are using phrases such as "so many"?
Not really sure what you're trying to say here. You originally asked "has anyone (in media, on message boards, through organizations) been able to even remotely quantify how many people are supposedly against this?" But you say a poll by a media company like the NY Times doesn't cut it? Why not?!?! Your question is EXACTLY what the NY Times Poll was trying to quantify. Fair representation is always an issue, with ANY type of study, and that's why the people who run polls and studies put the results through a statistical analysis (which was done for the NY Times Poll). These analyses tell you the margin of error and statistical significance of the results, given the sampling size against the entire population. Whether or not you accept the results is up to you. I believe the number was close to what I see in this very thread. There are a few supporters here, who write the vast majority of replies (including insults for anyone with a slightly opposing viewpoint).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 12:13 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times
Ok, Brady, I'm going by the thoughts of the many people I've run into over the past month or two. Most oppose.
But, since your google must not be working, here are a couple of links to a couple of polls..... Sorry, don't have a total for you, but there are percentages.
Most New Yorkers Oppose Ground Zero Mosque: Poll | NBC New York
Poll: Public strongly opposes Ground Zero mosque - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room
Poll: NYers Conflicted On Ground Zero Mosque « CBS New York- News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and the Best of NY
CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Overwhelming majority oppose mosque near Ground Zero « - Blogs from CNN.com

And by the way, my search was simply poll mosque ground zero
No "for" or "oppose"

Old 09-10-2010, 12:14 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Not really sure what you're trying to say here. You originally asked "has anyone (in media, on message boards, through organizations) been able to even remotely quantify how many people are supposedly against this?" But you say a poll by a media company like the NY Times doesn't cut it? Why not?!?! Your question is EXACTLY what the NY Times Poll was trying to quantify. Fair representation is always an issue, with ANY type of study, and that's why the people who run polls and studies put the results through a statistical analysis (which was done for the NY Times Poll). These analyses tell you the margin of error and statistical significance of the results, given the sampling size against the entire population. Whether or not you accept the results is up to you. I believe the number was close to what I see in this very thread. There are a few supporters here, who write the vast majority of replies (including insults for anyone with a slightly opposing viewpoint).
Which is why I haven't been on in a while.....

Old 09-10-2010, 01:12 PM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
who cares how many people are against or for it? i dont see how you can deny a recognized religion an open space where anyone else could take and use for office space or religious space.

i was at someones home last night and a guy suggested they will build it somewhere else. i didnt argue but there is no way they build it somewhere else. they are there for a reason. ground zero is their monument to their successful attack against america. all muslims celebrate it, they will for thousands of years.
That is just dumb. I know Muslims who survived the WTC attack. They certainly did not celebrate it. They were angry at the terrorists.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:38 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
There are currently 10 Mosques on the island of Manhattan alone; add in the Bronx, Queens and Staten Island that number goes up to 83. A Mosque is no different from a church, in fact IS a church. Islam is the largest religion in the world. It is not a terrorist cult. Some terrorists happen to be Muslim, some happen to be Christian and guess what there are even Jewish terrorists. Timothy McVeigh was Irish Catholic. Did they put a cease and desist on the building of all Roman Catholic Churches in and around Oklahoma City? i think not. This is no different. I was working at 61 Broadway(30th Floor) on September 11th 2001. I saw both planes hit, I lost a friend that day. I would not dishonor his memory by using his death as a reason to trample the constitution and the foundation of our country.
If you read the thread, then you would have seen why this argument doesn't hold water. Timothy McVeigh didn't bomb the federal building in Oklahoma City for religious reasons.

As for the constitution, myself and others have pointed out that the builders of this mosque do have the right to build it at the site. But we also have the right to speak out against it...and for very specific reasons.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:56 PM
pvs

Well said, ilmc90. I'd rep you if I hadn't recently. Oh well.+1

Old 09-10-2010, 06:36 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
do neo-nazi's in 2010 hate jews? if so, then that would be bad. now if german nazi's (do they still exist?) wanted to open something next to a synagogue, then yeah, big problems. i'm not up on my neo-nazi hate though, as i understood, they just hate anyone who's not white. could be wrong there though.

do muslims hate americans? no. they don't. except for a few crazy ones that would hate us whether they were muslim or not. there's a few crazy people in every group, every religion, every country, and every club, that hate americans, so i guess no one should be allowed to build anything "near" "ground zero".

sure, they can use a book to blame their hatred for us on, but that doesn't mean the book causes the hatred. that's the faultiness of the logic.
That's not really a good argument.
The WTC was a sacrifice in the name of Allah, the biggest attack in our nations history. Hence why its location is so controversial.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:48 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,083,908 times
They can build it but honestly I dont see it standing for more than one day . Some strong feelings have been stired up over this . I dont like the idea either it is disrespectful and I dont much care muslim , baptist , catholic , jewish what have you , it is a matter of respect . nuff said .

Old 09-11-2010, 05:03 AM

429 posts, read 931,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
If you read the thread, then you would have seen why this argument doesn't hold water. Timothy McVeigh didn't bomb the federal building in Oklahoma City for religious reasons.
Right, he bombed it for political reasons having to do with objections to federal government actions and policies, so should there be no federal government-related sites there or near there?

Old 09-11-2010, 07:07 AM
pvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
No, no NO!!! bradykp wasn't talking about THOSE studies/polls. They are all FLAWED. What he/she can't seem to find is the ACCURATE one that says most people think the mosque at this location is a really great idea.

In defense, MY google can't find that ONE, either.

Maybe he could email Imam Feisal and ask for a copy of the study that was done by the Cordoba House Initiative???? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey