Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 01:07 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,294 times
This is just more craziness from the Tea Baggers, Beck, Limbaugh and the right-wing nut jobs. The mosque is down the street
around the corner and in the middle of the block.
It won't hurt anyone being there.
If the mosque were being built in New Jersey, I can hear them
saying "they're building a mosque in the state right next to
where ground zero was" and trying to make an issue out of it.
It's all much ado about nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 02:13 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Bad taste and insensitivity is not a crime. And freedom of religion and association are fundamental to our way of life. Therefore, while one may not like the mosque, it is un-American to attempt to prevent its construction by any other means than simple persuasion. To use the government (with the implicit threat of violence contained within the police power) to try to stop it is immoral according to our Constitutional values.

The only moral choice is to ask them not to build there. But if they say no and build anyway, we should just suck it up and remember that freedom is the most important value. And as long as nothing illegal is being done, they MUST be allowed to build and worship as they see fit, no matter what their religion, or lack thereof.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:19 PM

173 posts, read 818,825 times
I think it's un-American, but within anyone's rights, to protest against the mosque. This country was founded on Freedom of Religion -- it is in the Constitution. Once you start saying some religions are more equal than others, the whole concept is meaningless. But people protesting against the mosque don't bother me that much, even though I think are being un-American and should go back to whatever state they flew in from, as they have the freedom of speech. It's when elected officials say anything against or threaten investigations against the developers -- these idiots, who are sworn to uphold the Constitution, show a shocking lack of awareness about the Constitition and the law.

On a related topic about building at World Trade, could there be a worse construction project than the Path terminal. They have about two skinny staircases to let the commuters get of the trains, while people fighting to get on the trains push down the stairs on them. It can take ten minutes from the train pulling in just to reach ground level. Are staircases rare or hard to build? The guys who designed that are not commuters on those trains.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:33 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
i dont really see how you could deny them the right to take on space that they would legally obtain any appropriate permits for and pay for.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:40 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
This is just more craziness from the Tea Baggers, Beck, Limbaugh and the right-wing nut jobs. The mosque is down the street
around the corner and in the middle of the block.
It won't hurt anyone being there.
If the mosque were being built in New Jersey, I can hear them
saying "they're building a mosque in the state right next to
where ground zero was" and trying to make an issue out of it.
It's all much ado about nothing.
the tea baggers will be running this country within the next 20 years.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:13 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
9/11 was not inspired by the religion of Islam. that's the label you'd like to throw on it, but it's simply not true. Was Oklahoma City bombing inspired by Christiniaty? No, it's crazy people, who happen to be Christian or Islamic, that did idiotic crazy things.

The oklahoma city bombing had nothing to do with religion at all. It was an act against the government. Thats it.

The 9/11 hijackers attacked in the name of Islam. It was the entire reason for them doing it. You can say that they perverted the religion if you want, but if you say that religion had nothing to do with it, you are dead wrong

Old 08-26-2010, 03:14 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Since it's legal I would never want the state to put any pressure on those that want to build it.

That said, I personally think it's in poor taste and the height of insensitivity towards the families of the vicitms of the Islamic jihadists that murdered their loved ones.

It's in even poorer taste for any of the Islamic mosque supporters to cry racism, Islamophobia and all of that nonsense to those who are exercising their American right to protest.
Pretty much my opinion.

Even if they initially had good intentions, at some point they would have realized that they are shooting themselves in the foot considering all of the opposition.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:41 PM

474 posts, read 1,260,515 times
This is a slap in the face to all who died, and their friends and families. It's not just a New York issue. The terrorists attacked our country; the WTC just happened to be one of the targets. So this is an issue which impacts all of us here in the US.

The more one researches into the background of who is doing this, the more suspicious it becomes. First off, there has been a lot of secrecy about who exactly is funding this project. Also, they were offered state owned land quite a distance away from lower Manhattan, and they refused it. What does that tell you? They have reasons why it must be exactly where it is, and I don't think they are innocuous ones.

CAIR seems to be shaping up to be a lot other things than it claims to be. A quick web search will bring up a large number of alleged suspicious activities by this organization. They seem to have been under the scrutiny of the FBI since at least November of last year. I don't know if we can mention books here, but there is one out there of a man who went undercover and infiltrated CAIR's higher tiers and what he learned is more than disturbing--and he has the documents to back up his claims (which he turned over to the FBI).

In addition, there are other well-written books about the posing done by these organizations and individuals. The most disturbing of these are by those who used to live as Muslims and have since left the "fold". They warn about how devious and deadly some segments of that faith are and that their goal is to conquer from within.

For those who are speaking about our Constitutional rights--many of these very dangerous fringe elements have indicated that they plan to use these rights and our current PC climate against us in order to undermine that very Constitution that is so dear to us all. They have shown time and again that their adherence is to Islam and Sharia Law first and foremost. The many tragic honor killings of young women that have already occurred in our very country is a terrible reminder of where their allegiance lies. To my mind, if you don't respect our Constitution, then its benefits do not apply to you.

The sad fact is that the media chooses to ignore (or worse yet, is not allowed) to bring these stories to the public regardless of their horrendous import. So a lot of people remain ignorant of what has already occurred in the US. Look at the latest arrests of terrorists who were born American citizens.

There is a reason why this mosque/community center (yeah, right) is called the Cordoba initiative. When the Muslims conquered Spain, they began building a huge Mosque circa 784 AD as a symbol of their conquest of that country. It became the second most important Islamic site, overshadowed only by the one in Mecca. There is a reason why the name Cordoba has been attached to this project by its builders.

One last thing--I have yet to hear an APOLOGY from these people for 9/11. We have to stop thinking with a Western mindset, which is one of conciliation, friendship and forgiveness. That is not the way these people think. They will put on whatever face they think will work to achieve their ends. Remember the song "Smiling Faces"?

Sorry for the rant, but this is something that strikes at my heart. I just re-watched videos of that horrid day, including the poor souls who chose to jump out of the buildings. No, we can't undo that day, but we can remain on our guard, or else we will end up like the UK, where the goal is to institute Sharia Law. There are now areas of Britain that are unrecognizable and have been dubbed "no-go" areas for non-Muslims; and this by the Muslims themselves. Is that what we want to happen here?

Please, I'm begging people to do more research on this. BTW, I'm not Christian, Jewish etc. I'm just a citizen of the US who loves her country and does not want to see happen here what has been going on in Europe (where they are belatedly waking up to the results of their own policies of appeasing the Muslims they allowed into their countries). Let us learn from History. Remember, they tried to appease Hitler too.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:23 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
I am far from your buddy. Still haven't seen answers though...just smart remarks. I'm sure you have more.
sorry, but some questions don't warrant an intelligent response, since those questions are just going to lead to other illogical questions. show me how the persons involved are involved with hamas. who else in the world would you like to acknowledge hezbolah is a terrorist organization? not that i disagree with you that it is, but currently only the US, Israel, and Canada recognize it formally as such.

glenn beck stated almost exactly what Iman did about america's policies having an influence on the terrorists motivations. should he take that back also? you don't have to be a genius to realize, right or wrong, some of what this country has decided to do over the years has given some reason to hate (not attack!) us or be jealous of us. doesn't make it right by any means. but it's still an accurate statement. uhoh - i can't build a mosque now.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:29 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
The oklahoma city bombing had nothing to do with religion at all. It was an act against the government. Thats it.

The 9/11 hijackers attacked in the name of Islam. It was the entire reason for them doing it. You can say that they perverted the religion if you want, but if you say that religion had nothing to do with it, you are dead wrong
you're right. my bad. chose a horrible example. i was trying to be productive at work and follow the thread at the same time.

the point remains though - every major religion has been used as a justification for terrorist attacks. so we should either ban them all, or stop it with all the hatred towards religions that are not Christianity.

christians have killed and attacked abortion professionals and clinics "in the name of christianity" - but in reality, they are just pyschos who, if born into another religion, would have done the same in the name of that other religion. it has nothing to do with THE religion Islam, and has everything to do with them being nuts.

and people should be able to separate that and stop tying it to the billion people who peacefully worship in the name of islam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey