U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-27-2007, 03:21 PM
 
4 posts, read 19,401 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I currently live in NYC and am looking to relocate to NJ. I'm married with 2 small boys (6 and 2) and we're looking to buy a house. The prices are ridiculous in NYC considering you get hardly any land. They want 500,000 for a really small amount of space.
We're looking for an area with good schools, MULTICULTURAL, close commute to NYC, and preferably below $400,000. I know that Teaneck has excellent schools but I've done some surfing on the web, and their prices/ taxes for their homes are insane!!! Please let me know of the areas in NJ that are affordable, great commute to NYC and safe for families/w children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2007, 04:06 PM
 
Location: East Orange
11 posts, read 49,060 times
Reputation: 19
Default My List of "Good" Areas

It seems that Middlesex and Somerset County have lower property taxes than Essex, Hudson and Bergen. Both have towns that are close to the NJ Transit Train line. Towns like Somerset, Franklin Township have a lot of townhouse communities that are awesome. Check out Quailbrook Community (Franklin Twp, NJ Neighborhoods - Somerset County (http://www.lisafriedman.com/visit/somersetcounty/franklin/neighborhoods/index.htm - broken link))
A lot of the townhouse communities have buses that go right into NYC or close access to the Train Station. I also see a lot of diversity. Lots of working families.

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2007, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Rahway N.J
2,093 posts, read 4,868,821 times
Reputation: 3353
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjus1 View Post
I currently live in NYC and am looking to relocate to NJ. I'm married with 2 small boys (6 and 2) and we're looking to buy a house. The prices are ridiculous in NYC considering you get hardly any land. They want 500,000 for a really small amount of space.
We're looking for an area with good schools, MULTICULTURAL, close commute to NYC, and preferably below $400,000. I know that Teaneck has excellent schools but I've done some surfing on the web, and their prices/ taxes for their homes are insane!!! Please let me know of the areas in NJ that are affordable, great commute to NYC and safe for families/w children.
I know i will be getting yelled at but
Imo I like Rahway ,The schools are not as great as some of the surrounding towns
but compared to Brooklyn they are good and if you are involved with your childrens education they will do fine

Take a day trip out and drive thru the Inman Hgts,Milton lake and Hospital sections. And since Clark ,Cranford,Avenal and Colonia are right here you can also check out those areas as well

Good luck with your search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2007, 05:24 PM
 
24 posts, read 147,574 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
I know i will be getting yelled at but
Imo I like Rahway ,The schools are not as great as some of the surrounding towns
but compared to Brooklyn they are good and if you are involved with your childrens education they will do fine

Take a day trip out and drive thru the Inman Hgts,Milton lake and Hospital sections. And since Clark ,Cranford,Avenal and Colonia are right here you can also check out those areas as well

Good luck with your search


I love Rahway! I just moved here from Brooklyn myself almost a year ago. It is one of the friendliest towns. They have an excellent programs for kids, and the parents seem to take pride in their childrens education. I am sure you will get a great deal for your money...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2007, 07:52 AM
 
Location: NJ
12,284 posts, read 30,939,609 times
Reputation: 5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxMom View Post
It seems that Middlesex and Somerset County have lower property taxes than Essex, Hudson and Bergen. Both have towns that are close to the NJ Transit Train line. Towns like Somerset, Franklin Township have a lot of townhouse communities that are awesome. Check out Quailbrook Community (Franklin Twp, NJ Neighborhoods - Somerset County (http://www.lisafriedman.com/visit/somersetcounty/franklin/neighborhoods/index.htm - broken link))
A lot of the townhouse communities have buses that go right into NYC or close access to the Train Station. I also see a lot of diversity. Lots of working families.

Good luck
I wouldn't send my kids to Franklin Twsp schools. JMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2007, 10:34 AM
 
78 posts, read 362,958 times
Reputation: 19
tahiti, can you elaborate it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2007, 10:49 AM
 
421 posts, read 1,376,658 times
Reputation: 333
How about Woodstown in Salem County? Salem County is apparently the most sparsely populated county in the state. Woodstown seemed to be a pretty nice little town, and FOrt Mott State Park was very pretty. There was a no swimming sign posted on the beach, but there were some teens swimming when I was there, and they weren't turning orange or anything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2007, 10:58 AM
 
Location: NJ
12,284 posts, read 30,939,609 times
Reputation: 5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
How about Woodstown in Salem County? Salem County is apparently the most sparsely populated county in the state. Woodstown seemed to be a pretty nice little town, and FOrt Mott State Park was very pretty. There was a no swimming sign posted on the beach, but there were some teens swimming when I was there, and they weren't turning orange or anything
*loud sigh* - i'm going to give you benefit of the doubt and believe you didn't read the OP. Close to NYC????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top