Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 11:40 AM

551 posts, read 1,187,708 times

Advertisements

Hey va,

They are called Gateway Energy.. not a gift card but a locked lower therm rate which all forecasts have said will spike within this and next year (natural gas)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 10:28 AM
pvs pvs started this thread

1,845 posts, read 3,365,250 times
Just one more link with a related discussion. Some interesting information in here:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/maryl...-provider.html

Old 09-06-2010, 09:16 PM

204 posts, read 634,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonorityGenius View Post
Hey va,

They are called Gateway Energy.. not a gift card but a locked lower therm rate which all forecasts have said will spike within this and next year (natural gas)
I looked it up and will consider it. Compare to Constellation, it wasn't much of a slam dunk as the variable comparison that they did on the website wasn't convincing enough. In one of the example, it actually shows a higher cost than PSEG. Thanks for the information.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:53 AM
yCf

106 posts, read 533,273 times
Got the same flyer in my mail too. Really happy I found this thread. Just want to thank everyone for the info.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by energy for the future View Post
There are other alternatives to the ones mentioned. ... a standard electric option that includes 20% wind generated green energy as well as a 100% green option. You save and the earth gets another chance.
Thank you so much for this information! Coincidentally, I have an email in to PSE&G trying to get a list of other suppliers (both gas AND electric), including how each might generate their power, some further definitions about transmission rates, taxes and fees (and whether or not they change if we change suppliers). I also asked if they can possibly let me know what the chances are, that PSE&G might lower their generation rates over the next two years. These are all pertinent questions I believe we should know the answers to, before signing any contracts.

I will post any information I receive from them here in this thread.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:35 AM

119 posts, read 492,441 times
I'm in Toms River, and also received the mail from Constellation Energy. I also got another offer in the mail from Dominion Energy Solutions (Dominion Retail).

There's so much small print in all these promotional mails, and I'm sure they make it intentionally difficult to compare plans.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:20 AM

Default Some alternatives

I found the following websites that offer a lot of information and several alternative companies that are available as residential energy suppliers in NJ. Curiously, Constellation Energy is not listed on either site. I imagine CE isn't a Green Energy supplier ... which I guess would explain their low prices.

First The CleanPower Choice Program's website, which has a lot of information about the program, and if you click the link near the bottom of the first page, there are 3 alternatives listed, Green Energy Mountain, Community Energy, and Sterling Planet.
The CleanPower Choice Program | NJ OCE Web Site (http://www.njcleanenergy.com/renewable-energy/programs/cleanpower-choice-program/new-jersey-cleanpower-choice-program - broken link)

Next is Pace University's Power Scorecard for PSE&G. You can use the Ratings link on the left side to generate a report for Atlantic City Electric, JCP&L, or Rockland Electric (or any other state, for that matter). The reports list prices of several alternative suppliers for each service territory, it tells how they generate the power, and each one's environmental impacts. Click around in this site for LOTS of information about each company. This site is VERY cool and informative!
Power Scorecard Ratings of Available Electricity Products

Old 09-14-2010, 09:06 AM

821 posts, read 2,037,871 times
Just wondering if anyone has switched over. I will not be switching over because while Constellation does offer a saving per KWH they will be charging me for the use of PSE&G lines plus taxes which will work out to the same or more. Since Constellation wont give me a straight answer over the phone. They just insist that it is a saving.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC JC Mom View Post
Just wondering if anyone has switched over. I will not be switching over because while Constellation does offer a saving per KWH they will be charging me for the use of PSE&G lines plus taxes which will work out to the same or more. Since Constellation wont give me a straight answer over the phone. They just insist that it is a saving.
FWIW, I don't think I'm going to do it. PSE&G has STILL not gotten back to me with any answers (also regarding the delivery fees and taxes, as well as a few other questions), and when I do the math, it looks like, AT BEST, it's only going to save me about $7.00 a month. Just not worth the hassle.

If times were better financially, I would LOVE to go with one of the green suppliers, and wind up paying more, rather than less (but helping the environment). But considering: 1) the amount of ambiguity regarding the extra costs, 2) the poor customer service I'm getting with EITHER supplier in answering questions, 3) The meager savings I MIGHT relaize (if any), and 4) the ridiculous amount of advertising CE is doing (anyone see the huge posters in Newark Penn Station?), I think I'm just going to leave my supplier alone for now.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:50 AM

551 posts, read 1,187,708 times
Did you take into account Target $150 (swap out for Amazon, see Google) spread over 24 months? (I am planning to cancel once variable hits)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey