U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2007, 07:07 AM

23 posts, read 106,214 times

Advertisements

What can you guys tell me about the town of Mount Holly? What is the area like? What is the school system like? (Specifically the pre-K and K) Anyone commute from here to NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 05:29 PM

9,160 posts, read 20,195,772 times
Mt Holly schools

From what it says The Mount Holly Township Public Schools
announces the opening of FULL DAY preschool
classes for the 2007-2008 school year. The program
is planned to run from 8:30 AM to 2:30 PM and will
have classes at both Brainerd and Folwell Schools.

Pemberton Township has full day kindergarten and 3 & 4 year old programs, here's the web site.

Mount Holly is a bit more congested then Pemberton township but you'd be closer to everything. Where I am in Country lakes, I can shop in any direction I want - towards Brick, down in Manahawkin or Mt Holly / Burlington area, they are all about the same distance.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:13 PM

183 posts, read 1,028,430 times
I grew up around the corner and went to high school in Mt. Holly, it's getting better, but there are still a lot of drugs, prostitutes and gang-related problems. High poverty alongside of affluence.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:14 AM

19 posts, read 95,189 times
I lived in Mt. Holly for about 10 years and loved it. I graduated from high school there and had no problems. Since I've gotten out, the high school has gotten bigger and the population has become a bit more blue collar. However, I'm not certain this is a big problem as the above posters make it out to be.

Practically speaking, I would have no issues walking the streets of the town in broad daylight or at any time of night, and I cannot say that for many other towns in NJ.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:37 AM

9,160 posts, read 20,195,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orleron View Post
I lived in Mt. Holly for about 10 years and loved it. I graduated from high school there and had no problems. Since I've gotten out, the high school has gotten bigger and the population has become a bit more blue collar. However, I'm not certain this is a big problem as the above posters make it out to be.
Since I'm also buying a home, I'm curious how long ago it was that you lived there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orleron View Post
Practically speaking, I would have no issues walking the streets of the town in broad daylight or at any time of night, and I cannot say that for many other towns in NJ.
I've walked on Main street by the court house, I felt safe. Now I can't say the same thing about around the corner some by the place that sells paving stones. I drove down one of the side streets (going towards 38) and thought it wasn't somewhere I'd want to walk.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:27 PM

19 posts, read 95,189 times
Mount Holly is where I consider myself to have grown up, and my father still lives there, so I go back regularly. The descriptions I'm giving are current.

Sure, there are some streets in Mt. Holly where you don't want to be caught, even in daylight. The Gardens, for example, is a low income housing project which needed to get its own mini-police station installed just to stop the violence there. And yes, that's only about a mile off High St. In general, I'm talking about High St. when I mean that I feel safe at any time of day, though I have walked plenty of the other streets and been fine over the years. You eventually just learn where to go and where not to go.

Compared to Browns Mills, Mt. Holly is like a bright sunny day. I do miss it and if someone could offer me a job there I'd take it. (Currently living near Parsipanny, NJ which is also very nice.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or